TQR

The Next Tory Leader

Who’ll Be The Next Tory Leader?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

What do we reckon Grant  Shapps chances are? How much of a base does he have among tory mps?

He was involved in a bullying scandal when running the Youth Wing of the Tories about 10 or so years ago.

Well he has the least endorsements of any of the serious candidates so far.

• Thanks 1

@RoverAndOut @Sean

Thanks for the info.  I had forgotten  about the tory youth bullying scandals.  Why did he pretend to be someone else?

Do we think he believes he hasn't got a chance but is angling for a big job in  the next cabinet?

I think Tom Tugendhat  might be worth keeping an eye on. Apparently  some very wealthy tory donors  are keen on him.

Madder and more evil than Mad Nads.  We should all be very afraid.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 3

6 hours ago, Toast said:

Madder and more evil than Mad Nads.  We should all be very afraid.

The "foreign court" she speaks of is part of the Council of Europe, a body independent of the EU and founded during the Second World War by none other than Tory poster boy Sir Winston Churchill. Apparently, Suella disagrees with Churchill.

Braverman is truly awful: she's one of the small group of Brexiteers who voted against the May withdrawal bill on all 3 occasions - even Boris voted for it the third time. 

• Like 4

• Like 2

Considering all the awful press about the various candidate flying about at the moment is it actually possible that Tom Tugendhat is actually Jim Hacker and becomes PM because everyone else it too awful

• Like 2

What I would say is that history tells us the frontrunner rarely wins in Tory leadership contests, Boris in 2019 being very much the exception. At this point in the cycle, it was reasonable to expect Michael Heseltine to win in 1990, Ken Clarke to win in 97, Portillo to win in 2001, David Davis in 2005 and Boris in 2016.

Heseltine fell foul of knifing Thatcher and also hubris for seeming overconfident after the first round, Clarke's pro-EU stance counted against him in the final reckoning, despite winning the first 2 rounds, as did a late deal he did with John Redwood trying to secure a majority which went down badly. Portillo was seen as the frontrunner but the party didn't agree with his reformist agenda, Davis gave an uninspiring conference speech compared to the other candidates and lost his advantage and we all know about the Johnson-Gove psychodrama of 2016 that let Theresa May in.

In other words: Rishi beware...

• Like 1

Sounds like the Sun are backing Sunak’s economic policies if not endorsing him personally just yet.

59 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

What I would say is that history tells us the frontrunner rarely wins in Tory leadership contests, Boris in 2019 being very much the exception. At this point in the cycle, it was reasonable to expect Michael Heseltine to win in 1990, Ken Clarke to win in 97, Portillo to win in 2001, David Davis in 2005 and Boris in 2016.

Heseltine fell foul of knifing Thatcher and also hubris for seeming overconfident after the first round, Clarke's pro-EU stance counted against him in the final reckoning, despite winning the first 2 rounds, as did a late deal he did with John Redwood trying to secure a majority which went down badly. Portillo was seen as the frontrunner but the party didn't agree with his reformist agenda, Davis gave an uninspiring conference speech compared to the other candidates and lost his advantage and we all know about the Johnson-Gove psychodrama of 2016 that let Theresa May in.

In other words: Rishi beware...

May got in because when it got down to the final two Andrea Leadsom realised she was so far out of her depth she withdrew meaning that the 'rank and file' Tory membership did not get a say (which didn't help when it came to defending her). Whether the Tory faithful would have given the reigns of power to a raving lunatic when the other option was someone who had managed to survive 6 years as home secretary and was seen as a safe pair of hands (albeit not a very brexity pair). In the ballot of MPs May scored over 50% in the first round and 60% in the second. If Gove had edged Leadsom for second place it might have been very different

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

May got in because when it got down to the final two Andrea Leadsom realised she was so far out of her depth she withdrew meaning that the 'rank and file' Tory membership did not get a say (which didn't help when it came to defending her). Whether the Tory faithful would have given the reigns of power to a raving lunatic when the other option was someone who had managed to survive 6 years as home secretary and was seen as a safe pair of hands (albeit not a very brexity pair). In the ballot of MPs May scored over 50% in the first round and 60% in the second. If Gove had edged Leadsom for second place it might have been very different

Going to the membership vote might well have exposed May’s poor campaigning skills which were evident in the 2017 election.

• Like 2

I have just used the search function on the Daily Mirror website to find out who my local Conservative MP is supporting of the declared candidates and it is not good news he is supporting Suella Braverman who is currently close to the bottom of my list of preferences

11 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I have just used the search function on the Daily Mirror website to find out who my local Conservative MP is supporting of the declared candidates and it is not good news he is supporting Suella Braverman who is currently close to the bottom of my list of preferences

My MP hasn’t yet indicated who he’s backing but he strikes me as a Jeremy Hunt.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TQR said:

My MP hasn’t yet indicated who he’s backing but he strikes me as a Jeremy Hunt.

Or as we prefer to say a Mr Jeremy C  hunt.

Mordaunt and Badenoch leading Con homes polls.

Badenoch could win it. 

Not being decided until 5 September! 

Johnson could have sold the entire country by then.

No reason why they can't do this in a week.

I wouldn't trust a single one of them as far as I could throw them, but that Braverman bitch is something else. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

Not being decided until 5 September! 

Johnson could have sold the entire country by then.

No reason why they can't do this in a week.

I wouldn't trust a single one of them as far as I could throw them, but that Braverman bitch is something else. 

I think Braverman will be an early casualty in the contest. 

52 minutes ago, Toast said:

After a decade of austerity, there's STILL too many people on benefits for Cruella Braverman. What a piece of work.

image.png.91ee71ee623257d23c815bcd1dfd73e7.png

41 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think Braverman will be an early casualty in the contest. 

She'll have the ERG lot behind her. Steve Baker's already backed her, I was actually just checking if Rees-Mogg has, but according to the Telegraph HE'S considering standing for the leadership! He's looking forward to taking on William Gladstone in the 1880 General Election...

• Like 1

Thinking of setting up a twitter hashtag, #candidateisacurruptliar once I have received the twitter data I will be able to make an informed opinion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

She'll have the ERG lot behind her. Steve Baker's already backed her, I was actually just checking if Rees-Mogg has, but according to the Telegraph HE'S considering standing for the leadership! He's looking forward to taking on William Gladstone in the 1880 General Election...

Beth Rigby on Sky News  says Jacob Rees Mogg and Nadine Dorries are in talks to declare their backing for Liz Truss. 

Listening to people who had voted for Brexit on the TV the other day and evaluating the quality of population and politicians I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that as a country we are ***ked.

Greg Clark has endorsed Priti if she stands.This is a contest of strange endorsements but that is the most striking.

Maybe she offered him a top job.They have nothing in common politically.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Greg Clark has endorsed Priti if she stands.This is a contest of strange endorsements but that is the most striking.

Maybe she offered him a top job.They have nothing in common politically.

Shagging?

Oops, Priti doesn't do proper pronunciation.

Shaggin'?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Never have I more wanted to see a massacre make the headlines.  The Tory party is a cesspit of evil and they should all be drowned in a pit of their own slurry. 

Or make them all eat their money until they choke to death on it.