Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2024

On 22/04/2023 at 19:48, Estuarian Float said:

German-American actor Eric Braeden may be good pick for 2024. Starred (and still does) on major soap opera 1980-present, was in Titanic, Emmy winner, has a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. 82 years old.

‘Young & The Restless’ Star Eric Braeden Reveals Cancer Diagnosis – Deadline

Eric Braeden declares himself cancer-free, somewhat setting himself up for a later surprise, maybe:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12407565/The-Young-Restless-star-Eric-Braeden-82-declares-cancer-free-damn-thing.html

• Like 2

On 13/08/2023 at 01:31, TheSpinosaurus said:

Not sure where else I can post this so I'm doing it here. Apollo Flight Director Gene Kranz, known for his contributions in the Apollo 13 mission and for his legendary quote "Failure Is Not An Option" turns 90 in a few days, and he's not in the best of health from what I know of and is needing mobility aids such as a walker.

My late grandparents went to school with Gene. He's from my hometown of Toledo, Ohio. The airport there was renamed after him 2 years ago, and he was on hand for the dedication. He looked OK and well enough to travel then, but haven't heard anything recently. Anything can happen at that age.

• Like 2

On 11/08/2023 at 07:39, Ulitzer95 said:

I only just found out today that she's "still alive"... though do we have anything from the last 2-3 years that confirms she's still alive?

What a crazy case this was. Pregnant at 5 years old. Boke.

I think she still is since I know she would obit everywhere

How many notable Scots born in the 1920s are still with us? Can only think of a few off the top of my head (Earl of Elgin, John Cruickshank, Sandy Gall, Gudrun Ure, Stanley Baxter, Joseph McGrath). I think they're really running thin now.

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

How many notable Scots born in the 1920s are still with us? Can only think of a few off the top of my head (Earl of Elgin, John Cruickshank, Sandy Gall, Gudrun Ure, Stanley Baxter, Joseph McGrath). I think they're really running thin now.

Thea Musgrave, Harry Benson and Alasdair MacIntyre are the ones I can find who aren’t on your list

• Like 1

Andrew Ranken, drummer for The Pogues has COPD and has not been well for quite some time (according to TWITTER):

https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2023/07/05/ex-pogues-drummer-charity-single-st-josephs-hospice/

He's not in hospice, only made a charity record for them ... for later?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Andrew Ranken, drummer for The Pogues has COPD and has not been well for quite some time (according to TWITTER):

https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2023/07/05/ex-pogues-drummer-charity-single-st-josephs-hospice/

He's not in hospice, only made a charity record for them ... for later?

Before anyone suggests anything, we don't need a Andrew Rankin vs Shane MacGowan, which Pogue goes first sweepstake.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Before anyone suggests anything, we don't need a Andrew Rankin vs Shane MacGowan, which Pogue goes first sweepstake.

We don't need, but what if we want to...

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Insane said:

Thea Musgrave, Harry Benson and Alasdair MacIntyre are the ones I can find who aren’t on your list

Lord Mackay of Clashfern also 

• Like 2

Model and artist Dolores Erickson. Most famous for being the model on Herb Alperts album Whipped Cream and Other Delights

IMG_0784.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

EDIT: Of note to dead poolers – Crossley is only the 2nd titleholder of Britain's Strongest Man (which started in 1979) to die. The first was Marc Iliffe (wiki), who committed suicide in 2003, aged 30. His death was widely reported because of the circumstances and the fact that he was the titleholder in 2002. Crossley had a long career, and yet no QO. 

Worth considering for any future picks.

There's a recent interview of Geoff Capes, the initial Britain's Strongest Man (who was also the World's Strongest Man twice and has been mentioned on the DL Forum multiple times before) here. He'll be 74 in a few days and isn't really the picture of health.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RIP Wee Jum said:

Model and artist Dolores Erickson. Most famous for being the model on Herb Alperts album Whipped Cream and Other Delights

IMG_0784.jpeg

Herb Alpert is the same age as her. 

On 15/08/2023 at 21:58, Ulitzer95 said:

Jimmie MacGregor….Robin Hall’s singing partner….almost qualifies. Born March 1930

4 hours ago, SovietJohnny said:

Jimmie MacGregor….Robin Hall’s singing partner….almost qualifies. Born March 1930

In that case I offer actor John Cairney   born Feb 1930

[on A Night to Remember (1958), 2012]

"It's one of my favourite films and it seemed like a really big film to me at the time. It was a lovely story all about the realism of what could have really happened. Cameron's Titanic (1997) is very different. I think it began life as a film about the shipwreck and developed into the feature film. Theirs was very hi-tech, ours was high heart.

Leonardo DiCaprio played the same part I did, which was obviously fattened out for him. But it was the lower-class guy falling in love with the girl and the class borders being broken down and, while the steerage class were locked in, my character found a way out, and so did DiCaprio's. The difference was, he was paid thousands of pounds a second and I was paid £20 a day. I think Cameron forced him into some underwater feats I could never have done and they are very different films...

I really enjoyed A Night to Remember (1958), and it has lasted so well. It was film number four of my seven-picture deal with Rank at Pinewood. We would finish one, have a quick break and move on to the next one. The first I knew about it was when I was asked if I could do an Irish accent."

If Duncan Campbell is still alive (we were on a cautious yes the other year) he was a Glasgow lad.

• Like 1

Should we start a “The Scots” thread? Seeing as we have one for “The Welsh”?

The St Andrews Day/Burns Night one rightly got thrown into extra curricular because it was just full of pish.

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Should we start a “The Scots” thread? Seeing as we have one for “The Welsh”?

The St Andrews Day/Burns Night one rightly got thrown into extra curricular because it was just full of pish.

At the risk of controversy and speaking as someone who genuinely loves Scottish culture, I've always found Burns vastly overrated. 

• Shocked 1

22 minutes ago, msc said:

At the risk of controversy and speaking as someone who genuinely loves Scottish culture, I've always found Burns vastly overrated. 

Same. I feel the same way bout Shakespeare though.

On 18/08/2023 at 02:17, RIP Wee Jum said:

IMG_0784.jpeg

That's one hell of a cum shot! :lol:

• Haha 1

Bernard Lewis, founder of UK clothes shop 'River Island' will be 98 next year.

Also, the founder of 'Clintons' the card shop, Don Lewin, will be 91 next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 30/10/2022 at 01:36, arghton said:

Oscar Wyatt (98, obese wheelchairbound US businessman of Coastal Corporation. Suffered a stroke over a decade ago, looked horrible last year.)

Oscar Wyatt had a big party with his wife earlier this month or late last month (in July he turned 99, she turned 88 and it's been 60 years since they got married). 

Wyatt.60Years.280-1024x683.thumb.jpg.30e368bafa33e1f2ab1c80f24d39809b.jpg

Also...Eric Tsang, Hong Kong film industry legend has been quite ill recently. Cancer, aneurysm, swollen feet, gout, serious covid some time ago and on top of all this he has or has had a drinking problem.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, arghton said:

Oscar Wyatt had a big party with his wife earlier this month or late last month (in July he turned 99, she turned 88 and it's been 60 years since they got married). 

Wyatt.60Years.280-1024x683.thumb.jpg.30e368bafa33e1f2ab1c80f24d39809b.jpg

Also...Eric Tsang, Hong Kong film industry legend has been quite ill recently. Cancer, aneurysm, swollen feet, gout, serious covid some time ago and on top of all this he has or has had a drinking problem.

Doesn’t look too bad here ! Might see his 100th anniversary

Sian Phillips and Brian Blessed interview on BBC4 last night about I Claudius, which is getting a repeat. Filmed four years ago so no form watching, but always good to be reminded that the ultra DLy name Sian Phillips is still with us.

• Like 2