Death Impends

So, How's Your 2024 Shortlist Looking?

Hit me we're into December and this annual tradition still hasn't cropped up. Time to remedy that.

So how is it? Are you sitting on Ohio's greatest squash farmer on the inside tip that his local paper has a deal with Yahoo? Are you debating if the Daily Mail will care about the fifth-biggest cast member of a forgotten US sitcom from 1973? Or are you too busy with the Christmas sherry and just going to do quick, inebriated searches for "stage I breast cancer" and "is Ruth Langsford mother still alive" on New Year's Eve?

I can confirm that, if he somehow makes it, I will be keeping Jimmy Carter. I now have to hope Johnny Gilbert doesn't announce hospice this month, so I still at least have one casual mascot.

• Like 1

My shortlist is getting there. It will be all the usual names plus one punt that might appear on some theme teams but unless things change about them will be on my general team as well. 

Have already pretty much decided the new names for my theme teams but for my Dames I will always wait till the honours list (I think it’s published at 10.30pm on 29th this year.) until I am certain. 

I have never seen a year with so many 6/10 deadpool picks up for grabs. It's like fantasy football except every single player is James Tarkowski.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Disappointingly.

I frankly suck at finding names ever since I took time out to cohost the DDP. Hmm, maybe Brian Blessed is joker material...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I have never seen a year with so many 6/10 deadpool picks up for grabs. It's like fantasy football except every single player is James Tarkowski.

I set myself a target of every week being higher than the average score in Fantasy Football (And have only failed once so far this season). I think I will adopt that as my pool target - for every pool be above the average score.

My consistently on-the-team pick of Hamako Mori is still kicking (at least according to a comment made 2 weeks ago on her latest YouTube video). For the rest of the list... Jimmy Carter if he manages to somehow not cark it.

On 28/10/2023 at 14:12, YoungWillz said:

Hmm. Well, as there is no How's Your 2024 Shortlist thread as yet, I'll slip this here.

I'm almost finished my preliminary research for my 2024 TOTP theme team (1988 Hits). On the face of it, I'm in trouble. There are so many options to pick from I just know whichever way I jump, the Reaper will go the other way and finish off a huge name which I'll miss.

I've been lucky with that team to have had a hit a year. I'm worried. :smoking-smiley: :reading-glasses:

Well, now there is a 2024 Shortlist thread, I'll cross-post this here.

With the death of Shane MacGowan, that's one less to consider for next year. I'd normally start the in depth research for TOTP on 5th, but I'm attending a funeral that day.

My main team may resemble somewhat my existing team - subject obviously to raking through @Gooseberry Crumble's teams for those about to be dropped who will no doubt expire next year, lol. I've a couple of replacements which will surprise nobody.

Comedy team. I'll probably drop Rhod Gilbert, but most survivors will be carried over. So I have 3 spots to fill, and I really can only think of two off the top of my head.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

With the death of Shane MacGowan, that's one less to consider for next year. I'd normally start the in depth research for TOTP on 5th, but I'm attending a funeral that day.

My main team may resemble somewhat my existing team - subject obviously to raking through @Gooseberry Crumble's teams for those about to be dropped who will no doubt expire next year, lol. I've a couple of replacements which will surprise nobody.

Comedy team. I'll probably drop Rhod Gilbert, but most survivors will be carried over. So I have 3 spots to fill, and I really can only think of two off the top of my head.

Yes events this year have created a lot of confusion in my mind about my strategy and approach next year! Which picks from this year would be disrespectful enough  to die as soon as I drop them and which wouldn't!!? Quite the dilemma!

• Like 2

I think I am adequately prepared, with lots of leftover names to fill up the ranks. Final setup depends on whether Ruth Langsford's mom is allowed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I think I am adequately prepared, with lots of leftover names to fill up the ranks. Final setup depends on whether Ruth Langsford's mom is allowed.

Would she be under 'Joan Langsford' or 'Ruth Langford mother late 90s what is keeping her alive'?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TQR said:

Would she be under 'Joan Langsford' or 'Ruth Langford mother late 90s what is keeping her alive'?

Hmm... what about "Eamonn Holmes' wrinkly mother-in-law"?

• Haha 4

Mine is down to about 40 picks, plus the names on my current list. I've identified a couple of definite QOs who seem to be seriously ill, and who weren't picked by anyone last year. There's a couple of others who may have already passed on, too - I may find out more when the end-of-year lists come our later. I've also got a few picks whose QO chances are slim who may not make the cut.

As for theme teams I may only enter the jazz one this time. It's had a few hits this year and I can easily find more entries to add to it.

My number 1 reason for dropping picks is a fear of UK QO, which is most unwarranted since folk singer Leon Bibb still remains my only List of the Lost in all my years playing the DDP.

I’m late this year. Though I found a prominent argentinian nonagenarian Who recently suffered a stroke. Maybe a good shout ? Will take the risk of putting some french names even though I fear some of them won’t obit…

On 01/12/2023 at 18:13, YoungWillz said:

Main Team - done (subject to the next 20 odd days)!

Comedy Team - done. 

TOTP - I have been through the various ailments of possible picks and indeed it's the longest shortlist I have ever had. So the question for me is - do I go for folk not all that ill who will definitely be uniques, or go for folk who others will pick (but not necessarily make the Drop 40)? Or I could just accept I'm crap at all of this and stick 20 names down, 3 subs and hope for at least one to drop in 2024.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

TOTP - I have been through the various ailments of possible picks and indeed it's the longest shortlist I have ever had. So the question for me is - do I go for folk not all that ill who will definitely be uniques, or go for folk who others will pick (but not necessarily make the Drop 40)? Or I could just accept I'm crap at all of this and stick 20 names down, 3 subs and hope for at least one to drop in 2024.

Dunno. Obligatory reference to it being one of my favourite DDP theme teams, though. (Although its younger than me now, that's surely some error...)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Dunno. Obligatory reference to it being one of my favourite DDP theme teams, though. (Although its younger than me now, that's surely some error...)

Ah, you were just a bairn in 1988 I'm sure. Whereas I was finishing my law degree and heading to postgrad study!

I'm actually fascinated by 1988. Resurgence of some old numbers re-entering the charts, some new work from long-established artistes, the rise of Acid House and rave culture, increasing Euro-pop entries and still quite the dearth of rap at this stage, though some important groundwork for the 90s in that genre. This year, more than any other of the 1980s, has the most disparate and eclectic mix of Top 30-ers I have seen.

I have 4 nailed on picks, 3 I want to pick out of fondness and the rest - well, I just know I'm going to miss a huge name. Still, I'm unable to pick Madonna, basically because I can't stand the vast majority of her work. If I do miss her, so be it, amen and thanks for all the crap - lol.

• Like 2

The longlist is now finalised (sans those darling celebs who announce their hospice stay over Xmas) at 93 names, excluding hangovers from this year/the return of Ryan Buell. There is one really good under-60 guaranteed QO pick that hasn't been mentioned on the boards yet. Theme team will probably be guests from the late, much-lamented Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast.

• Like 3

After a relatively slow year for contending teams, I'm going a bit conservative in some regards for 2024. I'm anticipating a much deadlier late winter/spring than this year. Also focused on not having as many Drop 40 names so I can actually pull away from other teams when I get a hit. 

The biggest debate right now is how many of my survivors are worth carrying over. A few are easy drops, a few might die next year but I'm just getting so bored of them. 

I do have a few tricks up my sleeve I think/hope. There's a QO cert out there whom I think a lot of people wrote off as a nobody.

Mostly done but always struggle with music selections so will leave it till the last minute and google for health updates on Teddie Beverley  Nana Mouskouri    James Galway and little Jimmy Osmond

• Like 1

I've had two entries on my shortlist die in the past week. I've also learnt that the reason behind someone's absence from the thing they regularly do has nothing to do with health reasons, so they've been dropped from the list too.

• Like 1

After this year abysmal performance and with having a year-round gig now (and therefore being able to devout little time to research) I've been contemplating retirement.  At this point I do plan on slapping a couple teams together but expect very little from them.

12 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

After this year abysmal performance and with having a year-round gig now (and therefore being able to devout little time to research) I've been contemplating retirement.  At this point I do plan on slapping a couple teams together but expect very little from them.

It was a difficult year, in my opinion. Things were less "plan-able" than usual.

Good luck on the job! Death will still be around for a while, probably, should you jump back in.

Finally got round to tidying up the longlist this afternoon - 86 names in all. Got a couple of left-fields I've not really seen mentioned that I'll be throwing in; mainly long-termers who have slipped off the radar.

2024 will be my third year of doing the DDP - taken me a couple of years to fully get the hang of the scoring system and 'what works' so hoping to improve my current 49th position which in itself isn't too shabby.

17/50 on the DL shadowlist is my best yet. Will be tough to match that in 2024.

• Like 1