Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

44 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I would have thought the names in the wrong order and with a comma between them would have been the main pisser in that entry.

I mean on my end it is, but it’s easy enough as a fix however time consuming. 

The bigger issue lies with people complaining about issues with their teams that are their own fault. I make my own fair share of mistakes, but I don’t understand why people are going out of their own way to mess with what was specifically designed to make this as easy as possible. 

• Like 1

Last year was my first in DDP. I made a theme entry Nearly Dead Kennedys, which managed to come in 10th in the theme league. Nearly Dead Kennedys is back.

Last year went well enough that I am jumping in with a non themed entry, Stiff Competition. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Banana said:

Ill use this as an example of what not to do. 

Please don’t move the joker designator and please do put your joker in the top cell. This spreadsheet is set up to so that I can copy and paste straight into the entry file. 

OK I will take it on the chin!

Shame-On-You.jpg

I may well have been filling that in after a few festive tins, so apologies.

2 hours ago, Windsor said:

Hit for my theme team.

I've done well with Franks over these last couple years...

Crossposting news of what seems to be the first hit of 2024. The Times

• Like 1

Being I just started to post here I decided to make it easy on myself being new, and just did a Shadow List and went for Hartlepool. But next year thinking I might try  doing a Theme List here.. I would like to make sure though if there are any taboos to themes.  For instance being a certain age group as a theme.  Would that be good or a please no idea.  Am I right that the teams should have 20 people in them? Just want to make sure when I do join in on the fun I dont do something stupid and have to have my hand slapped with a ruler. :unsure:

1 hour ago, livingbygrace said:

Being I just started to post here I decided to make it easy on myself being new, and just did a Shadow List and went for Hartlepool. But next year thinking I might try  doing a Theme List here.. I would like to make sure though if there are any taboos to themes.  For instance being a certain age group as a theme.  Would that be good or a please no idea.  Am I right that the teams should have 20 people in them? Just want to make sure when I do join in on the fun I dont do something stupid and have to have my hand slapped with a ruler. :unsure:

You need to make your picks 18 or over. (said nobody at an Epstein bash)

And yes, 20 names and 3 subs incase of names being DQd or dying before the 1st Jan start.

Deathlist virtually leading the DDP for the first time in years? (No, I dont know the teams yet).

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Deathlist virtually leading the DDP for the first time in years? (No, I dont know the teams yet).

Windsor’s theme team will still be ahead with a 97 year old vs the deathlist with a 100 year old. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Windsor’s theme team will still be ahead with a 97 year old vs the deathlist with a 100 year old. 

Depends if it's unique as Johns is drop 40.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Forgot about the D40. 

44 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Depends on how many deaths we get through before the first update. The handily placed Derek Draper might help matters though.

I’ll spoil this unofficially. 

First unofficial hit was Saleh al-Arouri. 

2 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Would seem a bit embarrassing if a 100 year old was drop 40

35 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Would seem a bit embarrassing if a 100 year old was drop 40

She was Drop 40 last year and surely was on more teams this year being a bit older and also getting media coverage for her 100th. 

12 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

She was Drop 40 last year and surely was on more teams this year being a bit older and also getting media coverage for her 100th. 

It's just such a useless age bracket for the playing of the game, even with the potential bonus. 

18 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

It's just such a useless age bracket for the playing of the game, even with the potential bonus. 

It's the equivalent to picking a nond40 70 something,which the winning team of 2023 did with Shakur. Not a bad pick if you feel certain the person is a solid lock,as opposed to a  younger person who you think might be 50/50 option.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Well yeah,  but...one or two nailed on and in the Drop 40 aren't such a bad option, then there's the added satisfaction if - like Sidney Cooke - they're ancient sex criminals (not that bothered about the points on my Kiddyfiddler Harriers theme team - so happy to make him joker on that bunch of despicable rogues)

15 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Well yeah,  but...one or two nailed on and in the Drop 40 aren't such a bad option, then there's the added satisfaction if - like Sidney Cooke - they're ancient sex criminals (not that bothered about the points on my Kiddyfiddler Harriers theme team - so happy to make him joker on that bunch of despicable rogues)

I suppose.  Back when I spent far more time delving into the math of DDP, it became apparent that a hit in this age bracket was as bad as a complete whiff in most others.  A team comprised of nothing but 100 year olds, in which every single pick dropped dead, would've only scored 83 points (assume Johns went after her birthday).  Scoring was abnormally low last year so that would've netted a T13... which I guess would be meaningful to someone somewhere.

3 hours ago, Banana said:

I’ll spoil this unofficially. 

First unofficial hit was Saleh al-Arouri. 

So four hits in four days. Keeping up the usual pattern of an average of hit a day in the first couple of months. 

6 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

I suppose.  Back when I spent far more time delving into the math of DDP, it became apparent that a hit in this age bracket was as bad as a complete whiff in most others.  A team comprised of nothing but 100 year olds, in which every single pick dropped dead, would've only scored 83 points (assume Johns went after her birthday).  Scoring was abnormally low last year so that would've netted a T13... which I guess would be meaningful to someone somewhere.

Well yeah, all things are relative - which might do as the name of a theme team in 2025, assuming Josef Fritzl survives long enough to serve as joker! :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Particularly if its a joker + Drop 40. 16 points is not a bad chunk of change for a centenarian pick.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Potential Hit No.2 ? Mike Sadler - The Times

Definitely ;)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Particularly if its a joker + Drop 40. 16 points is not a bad chunk of change for a centenarian pick.

I did forget to factor in Joker points to my previous work.  The hypothetical team would've gone from 83 to 90 points and finished 11th in an unusually low-scoring year.