Paul Bearer

The Dead of 2024

39 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Tristram Powell (wiki), English film and television director, producer and screenwriter, dead at 83.

Credits: American Friends, Foyle's War, Judge John Deed, Trial & Retribution, The Commander, Law & Order: UK.

Straight to Telegraph obit.

Directed Anybody's Nightmare starring Patricia Routledge about the Sheila Bowler case from the nineties. I was tempted to pick Bowler for my Oldies DDP team last year but iirc there were rumours she died off radar a few years ago so wasn't worth the risk.

• Like 2

John Barnett, a former Boeing employee who turned whistleblower following his retirement, raising concerns about the firm's production standards, has been found dead. He was 62.  In the days before his death, he had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company. Barnett died from a self-inflicted wound.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

21 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

John Barnett, a former Boeing employee who turned whistleblower following his retirement, raising concerns about the firm's production standards, has been found dead. He was 62.  In the days before his death, he had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company. Barnett died from a self-inflicted wound.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

Sure he did

• Like 1

EDIT: Wrong thread. Apologies.

Posting here because he could go in about four different categories: Dick Allix dead at 78. Started off as a musician, playing drums for Vanity Fare including on their cross-Atlantic hit "Hitching A Ride". Then went into sports management, firstly with Eric Bristow. Then was involved in the great darts schism of the early 90s, eventually ending up as one of the PDC top brass and being an agent for most of the current commentators on the arrers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Posting here because he could go in about four different categories: Dick Allix dead at 78. Started off as a musician, playing drums for Vanity Fare including on their cross-Atlantic hit "Hitching A Ride". Then went into sports management, firstly with Eric Bristow. Then was involved in the great darts schism of the early 90s, eventually ending up as one of the PDC top brass and being an agent for most of the current commentators on the arrers.

I decided to go for the Singles Chart thread, where he was mentioned and because I found a karaoke version of Early In The Morning to sing along to. ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Posting here because he could go in about four different categories

According to Ms @Toast all deaths should go here and in their respective categories. Unless I'm misreading somehow.

This makes one place all the years deaths are located and each category is up to date. I think the original idea was to

keep cross-posting down to two places (outside of individual pools). Also you had only to look at one thread for all the

deaths of the year. Made sense to me.

You'd already know far better than me about that of course, just putting the laymans view on it.

Sadly I think in practice it doesn't seem to work that way very well, as not enough people are aware.

5 minutes ago, En Passant said:

According to Ms @Toast all deaths should go here and in their respective categories. Unless I'm misreading somehow.

This makes one place all the years deaths are located and each category is up to date. I think the original idea was to

keep cross-posting down to two places (outside of individual pools). Also you had only to look at one thread for all the

deaths of the year. Made sense to me.

You'd already know far better than me about that of course, just putting the laymans view on it.

Sadly I think in practice it doesn't seem to work that way very well, as not enough people are aware.

I cannot be arsed with all that cross-posting, unless it is to another category of which I am fond. 

Nothing to stop someone (and I'm thinking of certain Forum users) obsessively taking on the role of cross-poster. It would certainly clutter up the old search engine however.

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I cannot be arsed with all that cross-posting, unless it is to another category of which I am fond

Nothing to stop someone (and I'm thinking of certain Forum users) obsessively taking on the role of cross-poster. It would certainly clutter up the old search engine however.

Well, I'm reading it as an attempt to actually reduce cross-posting. i.e. only in 2 places, 1 cat and 1 here. But could be wrong on that.

It can certainly be annoying to see some little known luminary cross-posted to about 15 different places. Toast can probably do a better job of explaining.

• Like 2

I agree with En Passant and was just about to post the following:

I've always thought all deaths should be recorded here, so that there is a single place to find them all.

And also posted in their main category.  In most cases the main category is obvious. 

So for most it would be two posts.  I think it would actually negate the need for cross-posting.

6 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Well, I'm reading it as an attempt to actually reduce cross-posting. i.e. only in 2 places, 1 cat and 1 here. But could be wrong on that.

It can certainly be annoying to see some little known luminary cross-posted to about 15 different places. Toast can probably do a better job of explaining.

Well, take for example, Dame Judi Dench. I can see her in the Mollie Sugden thread, the Bond thread, the Character actors thread, the Dead of XXXX thread and possibly a few more. (Didn't she rap as well, which qualifies her for the rappers thread?).

It's all personal preference, I like to draw attention to what I know them best for, or if there is some interesting nugget on a thread where the death has already been mentioned elsewhere. But I will only cross-post once. 

• Like 2

Oh not this fucking conversation again.

Change the record guys.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Change the record guys.

How about this record from Clodagh Rodgers? (Presenters/Sitcom/Pop Stars/Eurovison thread qualifier). :lol:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

How about this record from Clodagh Rodgers? (Presenters/Sitcom/Pop Stars/Eurovison thread qualifier). :lol:

Anything. I'll take anything!! Combine Harvester, I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper, Agadoo, Crazy Frog, Harlem Shuffle, even the fucking Cha Cha Slide.

As long as it distracts from us having the "should we post all deaths in the Deaths in 2024" conversation again!!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, take for example, Dame Judi Dench. I can see her in the Mollie Sugden thread, the Bond thread, the Character actors thread, the Dead of XXXX thread and possibly a few more. (Didn't she rap as well, which qualifies her for the rappers thread?).

It's all personal preference, I like to draw attention to what I know them best for, or if there is some interesting nugget on a thread where the death has already been mentioned elsewhere. But I will only cross-post once. 

Oh I'm in no position to demand or even suggest a damn thing, I'm inconsistent with my deadpooling at best.  Just remembered it had been brought up before and why it was the way it was.

44 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Change the record guys.

Ah yes, its not new.

And, oh blow me*. I was just saying cause it was already mentioned (again).

*For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, from anybody whomsoever this is a fkin joke.

• Like 1

Colin Hart (wiki mention), founder and director of the Christian Institute, dead.

The CI were probably most prominent during the 7 year "gay cake" battle, which was silly AF if you ask me (from the perspective of both sides!).

Reports of the death of former soldier, SAS operative, convict, mercenary and author Peter McAleese

Probably most notable for his effort to assassinate Pablo Escobar, which ended when his helicopter crashed on the way. He was played by actor/stuntman Paul Donnelly in the film Killing Escobar.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Larry Whittaker, a member of America's most inbred family, dies of a heart attack at 67:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/breaking-larry-whittaker-member-americas-32408053

Some members of the family only comminicate with grunts and barks.

I've seen a few of the videos of them. Horrible story but atleast (as far as I know) the family is currently getting the support they need

That's Ray, the one who communicates by barking. I think he's around 70 now.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, arghton said:

I've seen a few of the videos of them. Horrible story but atleast (as far as I know) the family is currently getting the support they need

That's Ray, the one who communicates by barking. I think he's around 70 now.

I laughed about the headline, but the article was actually quite terrifying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I laughed about the headline, but the article was actually quite terrifying.

Especially as they live in a village called Odd.

On 21/03/2024 at 12:57, gcreptile said:

Larry Whittaker, a member of America's most inbred family, dies of a heart attack at 67:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/breaking-larry-whittaker-member-americas-32408053

Some members of the family only comminicate with grunts and barks.

Larry Whittaker not dead: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13240469/Larry-Whittaker-inbred-family-fake-death-hoax.html

• Like 1
  • Angry 1