Paul Bearer

The Dead of 2024

3 hours ago, drol said:

Of course, only Weathers and Murray are A-listers out of those names.

And really I don't get the significance of Bruce's mama's death.

Bill Gates’s father told him to post that.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Is it just social media making it easier to hear about it or are a lot more people collapsing in the crowd at sporting events. Feels like every few weeks someone dies in the crowd at a football match. 

• Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Is it just social media making it easier to hear about it or are a lot more people collapsing in the crowd at sporting events. Feels like every few weeks someone dies in the crowd at a football match. 

Media hysteria, scaremongering, being a long time Spurs fan and season ticket holder I saw 3 people have medical episodes at games that they died from, plus was 50 feet away literally when a Bolton player had a near fatal heart attack, all of these long before covid/covid vaccines

On 04/02/2024 at 16:14, The Old Crem said:

The first one, I think - not like it's that new. There's a discussion in Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch about an incident in - I think - 1971, the gist of it being a Crystal Palace fan has a fatal heart attack in the street and 15 year old Hornby and his mate push up to the front because they know something's kicking off and want to see it. What follows is thoughtful musing on the sheer stats of the whole thing. First off, they're disappointed that he just died, i.e. he wasn't "done" by "scousers" - the opposition that day - and secondly the grim realiity that the football season is way longer than the close season so the reality is most football fans die not knowing the outcome of the campaign they've most recently invested their time and energy into. If there's statistical significance beyond that I'd make some random guesses. 

Football is stressful (anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't get the stupidity of telling us to "enjoy the game")

There are other things than football impacting the health of football fans - like the tonnage of shite food Britain eats these days. 

At the top end ordinary and young fans are often priced out, so older, fatter and wealthier types squeeze into small seats. And, just guessing, there are more DVT emergencies at games than there were when most fans stood.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Anybody been, who could advise what the gift shop looks like?

I genuinely did go to this last year. I'm heading back to Reykjavik this year, I'll see if there happens to be a new donated piece.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

Dead of 2024 (probably) include Abdul Shokoor Ezedi, according to Met Police anyway: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-68255937

Found myself wondering if his facial burns had gone gangrenous yet, probably worrying needlessly on his behalf, then. 

• Like 1

Six-year-old Hind Rajib - hardly a surprise given the amount of time spent fruitlessly searching for her since the phone call she made describing nearby Israeli tanks, but her body's been found now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68261286

• Sad 2

Damo Suzuki dead?

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Damo Suzuki dead?

Widley reported on the music websites so most probably!

One of the most idiosyncratic vocalists of the 70s, present during arguably Can's imperial phase. RIP.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Damo Suzuki dead?

RIP to the freakiest mf to ever live

On 09/02/2024 at 16:54, maryportfuncity said:

Dead of 2024 (probably) include Abdul Shokoor Ezedi, according to Met Police anyway: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-68255937

Found myself wondering if his facial burns had gone gangrenous yet, probably worrying needlessly on his behalf, then. 

Or, to be more accurate, the useless Met can’t find him and are feeding the gullible media with self-serving BS.

21 minutes ago, Kenny said:

Or, to be more accurate, the useless Met can’t find him and are feeding the gullible media with self-serving BS.

Just a guess - like Nicola Bulley there'll be a fuck-tonne of rumours, online ranting and "evidence" supporting the lot, then a while later, a very unfetching munched and bloated body will be hauled from the river and DNA will prove plod right?

• Like 3

Kelvin Kiptum, the world marathon record holder, has died. He was 24. Kiptum and his coach were reportedly killed in a traffic accident. Kiptum broke the world marathon record when he scored a time of 2:00:35 to win the Bank of America Chicago Marathon last October.

https://biznakenya.com/kelvin-kiptum-dies/

• Shocked 9

7 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Kelvin Kiptum, the world marathon record holder, has died. He was 24. Kiptum and his coach were reportedly killed in a traffic accident. Kiptum broke the world marathon record when he scored a time of 2:00:35 to win the Bank of America Chicago Marathon last October.

Fuck, that's awful - may well have been five to ten years short of his best times. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Shocking and tragic news. He was on track to go sub 2h.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

This is a huge loss to the long distance running world. Assuming he was clean (which I've no reason to think otherwise), he was a phenomenal athlete and would almost certainly have gone sub-2 hours at some point. He and Sifan Hassan electrified last year's London Marathon. Devastating news, especially in an Olympic year. Rest in Peace, Kelvin.

• Like 3

Just now, RoverAndOut said:

He and Sifan Hassan electrified last year's London Marathon.

Surely that's cheating?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Shocking news. 

You made a funny?

Nah.....

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, En Passant said:

You made a funny?

Nah.....

I wondered about that :lol: