Paul Bearer

The Dead of 2024

The Chief Officer of West Midlands Fire Service, Wayne Brown has died. 

38 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The Chief Officer of West Midlands Fire Service, Wayne Brown has died. 

nevermind-whatever.gif.61df198e7aa51de986909eb0f7f97ad4.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alexander Suvorov (03.06.1953 - 26.01.2024) was a Soviet and Russian psychologist, pedagogue and poet. Author of works on psychology, pedagogy, philosophy of psychology. Doctor of psychology, professor. Deafblind. President of the Community of Families of the Blind and Deaf-Blind.

ru.wiki mgppu.ru miloserdie.ru

Marie Irvine, Marilyn Monroe makeup artist dead at 99

image.png.6ce2ca961f6514eb0e96df4397a939ef.png

• Like 2

As said in that obit, died a few days after she started going viral on TikTok for giving an interview to some beauty influencer.

Like @drol said in the Englebert Humperdinck thread, 2024 the year famous/ high profile people don't seem to be dying. Well hopefully by me posting this here jinxes everything and we start to see high prolific names keeling over. I must admit I am totally shocked at the slim to anorexic pickings myself and my fellow dead poolers are getting. 

6 minutes ago, Steve said:

Like @drol said in the Englebert Humperdinck thread, 2024 the year famous/ high profile people don't seem to be dying. Well hopefully by me posting this here jinxes everything and we start to see high prolific names keeling over. I must admit I am totally shocked at the slim to anorexic pickings myself and my fellow dead poolers are getting. 

Not only famous/high profile people.

There has not been an Immortal death since Zagallo on 6th January and he was the only fucking one this year. Moreover, there have been no oldest state leaders death since 22nd September 2023!!!

I would say no one of interest for this forum is dying, in general, not even cult figures largely unknown outside.

35 minutes ago, drol said:

Not only famous/high profile people.

There has not been an Immortal death since Zagallo on 6th January and he was the only fucking one this year. Moreover, there have been no oldest state leaders death since 22nd September 2023!!!

I would say no one of interest for this forum is dying, in general, not even cult figures largely unknown outside.

It's absolutely dire over on the Deaths in 2024 page atm. Editors clearly bored AF so they're creating new pages for total nobodies. 

Just a random example from the last week:
Grace Boadu, Ghanian herbal medical practitioner.

Wiki really needs to tighten up their grasp on article creation. They're in excess of 2 million biographies now. In the last 6 months I've been going through the 1920–1934 births and I've found 1000s of ppl who have died off radar but haven't had their pages updated in years, sometimes over a decade. The whole Wiki project is becoming unmanageable now due to it being so bloated with biographies of nobodies.

• Like 4

One big issue Wikipedia has is entries being permanently stuck in the time they were created. So many bands who were around in 2006 still have MySpace links on their page. And this article, for the comedian Brother Dave Gardner (dead for over 40 years), has contained the line

After being out of the national limelight for many years, Brother Dave's contributions to American humor may see a comeback, due to the 2004 one-man play prepared and acted by David Anthony Wright, Rejoice Dear Hearts: An Evening With Brother Dave Gardner.

since its creation two decades ago.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

One big issue Wikipedia has is entries being permanently stuck in the time they were created. So many bands who were around in 2006 still have MySpace links on their page. And this article, for the comedian Brother Dave Gardner (dead for over 40 years), has contained the line

Biggest problem with Wiki is nowhere near enough ppl edit it. I don't know a single person in real life who edits Wiki. And it's not as straight forward as ppl might think, takes time to learn a lot of rules and customs so most new contributors end up doing more harm than good. 

We're approaching 7 million articles in the English Wiki. It's just too much to manage. Another problem is Wikis in other languages have not grown at anywhere near the rate that the English one has. This has resulted in English Wiki becoming a dumping ground for article creation about things that are almost totally irrelevant to 99.9% of native English speakers e.g. really obscure foreign actors. These individuals perhaps merit a page in their native language but it doesn't mean English Wiki needs a version. 

They need to seriously tighten up article creation (I'd propose restricting it to users of 5+ years and 5000+ edits) or the whole thing will just become a wasteland. Then the only option they'll have is to control a lot of it by introducing AI editing, which I'd be against.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Indeed. I'm still waiting on that third album from Duels.

• Like 1

French-born Italian actress Annie Belle (Wikidead at 67

image.png.98e8e5b1758d29c803def37d69fd5708.png

Daniel O'Donnell's manager Kieran Cavanagh dead at 67

DDP pick

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

You could edit it? 

1 hour ago, wannamaker said:

Daniel O'Donnell's manager Kieran Cavanagh dead at 67

DDP pick

Unlikely to obit two days after getting Irish only coverage. 

15 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

You could edit it? 

Only protestants edit Wikipedia.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Unlikely to obit two days after getting Irish only coverage. 

Patience my young Padicrem.

Even if he doesn't get the immediate QO's, there's plenty of time for a Daniel O'Donnell sob story interview this year.

• Haha 1

rocky creed guy, mc5 guy, mother springsteen, Johnnie Irwin, and that other actor... all dead within two days. It can't/how can it get any worse than this?

• Facepalm 1

Actor Carl Weathers, 76, died yesterday on Feb. 1.  

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/02/entertainment/carl-weathers-prolificactor-famous-for-rocky-and-the-mandalorian-dead-at-76/index.html

• Angry 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, Superstar said:

rocky creed guy, mc5 guy, mother springsteen, Johnnie Irwin, and that other actor... all dead within two days. It can't/how can it get any worse than this?

Of course, only Weathers and Murray are A-listers out of those names.

And really I don't get the significance of Bruce's mama's death.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drol said:

And really I don't get the significance of Bruce's mama's death.

She bought him his first guitar!

• Like 2