Guest Death List Observer

U.S. Political Figures over 85

Former Republican US Senator for Minnesota, David Durenberger, reported dead aged 88: https://www.inquirer.com/wires/ap/former-us-sen-david-durenberger-minnesota-republican-who-espoused-progressive-brand-politics-has-died-88-20230131.html

He filled the vacant seat left by Hubert Humphrey and sat until 1995. Subsequently he rejected the Republicans and endorsed Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. He was censured by the Senate unanimously in 1990 for misuse of public funds.

• Like 3

Ron Paul some days ago on his 88th. Looks a bit frail to me.

paul.thumb.jpg.5d67799345a338339a1763c524d9f238.jpg

• Like 2

On 26/08/2023 at 10:15, arghton said:

Ron Paul some days ago on his 88th. Looks a bit frail to me.

paul.thumb.jpg.5d67799345a338339a1763c524d9f238.jpg

ron paul has always fucking looked like that so I don't think so.

It actually clears up that he wasn't that impacted by his stroke on live TV. His face is fine.

On 17/09/2023 at 10:41, diego said:

Chuck Grassley was born in New Hartford, Iowa, 90 years ago, currently a senator for the state of Iowa. He has been a senator since 1981, From 1958 to 1974 he was a state legislator.

Chuck Grassley is now the sixth ever nonagenarian to sit in the US Senate.

The first five were:

Theodore F. Green (D-RI. Retired in 1961 at 93)

Carl Hayden (D-AZ. Retired in 1969 at 91)

Strom Thurmond (R-SC. Retired in 2003 at 100)

Robert F. Byrd (D-WV. Died in 2010 at 92)

Dianne Feinstein (D-CA. Died in 2023 at 90)

Edited by polar duck
RIP Dianne Feinstein
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, polar duck said:

Chuck Grassley is now the sixth ever nonagenarian to sit in the US Senate.

The first five were:

Theodore F. Green (D-RI. Retired in 1961 at 93)

Carl Hayden (D-AZ. Retired in 1969 at 91)

Strom Thurmond (R-SC. Retired in 2003 at 100)

Robert F. Byrd (D-WV. Died in 2010 at 92)

Dianne Feinstein (D-CA. Incumbent, age 90)

I suspect he will retire at the end of his term, which would make him the second oldest senator in history - he seems in really good health for his age at least from recent tweets and videos I've seen.

Grassley seems to still be in good health even though he's 88. He does some running when not working, but at his age, anything can happen. The Senate is a 6-year term, so he'll be 95.  His wife's still living too. He might outlive Feinstein or Mitch.

Thurmond and Byrd were pretty much frail at the end, they both had a very low profile. This is what I feel about Mitch and Feinstein today.

Former US Senator Dick Clark of Iowa reportedly dead aged 95: https://eu.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2023/09/20/dick-clark-us-senator-iowa-dies-at-95-at-home-washington-dc-obituary/70912585007/

Seems to be a pick in the Hartlepool and ABC Deadpools, haven't yet checked the DDP.

Edit: Not picked it seems.

• Like 5

On 18/09/2023 at 09:25, Comped said:

I suspect he will retire at the end of his term, which would make him the second oldest senator in history - he seems in really good health for his age at least from recent tweets and videos I've seen.

American politics are fucked, though. Grassley was key in flipping Iowa red all the way back in 1980 and I suspect that the GOP wouldn't trust a newcomer to keep it red. Almost every election since then resulted in a landslide victory for him, with the closest one being the most recent one. Grassley also notoriously filed paperwork for reelection in 2028. He would be 95 in 2028 and a centenarian at the end of his ninth term. Of course, this is totally ludicrous, but when you have senators like Dianne Feinstein and Mitch McConnell refusing to retire and making headlines because of their ongoing health issues, you're bound to fly under the radar as a healthy nonagenarian. If Iowans choose to vote for a 95-year-old in 2028, then they'll exactly get the only senator they deserve.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonah said:

Grassley also notoriously filed paperwork for reelection in 2028.

Though filing paperwork to run for re-election doesn't necessarily mean he really will run for re-election. Members of Congress often do this as a formality to keep fundraising for their party, so if they do end up retiring, the money can be transferred.

Dianne Feinstein also filed paperwork for re-election before her retirement was announced, and her staff absolutely scrambled to clarify to the press that this didn't actually mean she was running again, since this was around the time that the public reporting about her decline was really starting to pick up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Chuck Grassley is now the fifth-oldest sitting Senator in US history, having surpassed Dianne Feinstein's age at her time of death.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, polar duck said:

Chuck Grassley is now the fifth-oldest sitting Senator in US history, having surpassed Dianne Feinstein's age at her time of death.

He can't be serious about running in 2028, can he?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Eddie Bernice Johnson, former Congresswoman for Texas from 1993 - 2023 dead aged 89. A hit in some of the pools, including the DDP.

I'm originally from the district next to hers, she's a big deal in Dallas. Lots of stuff named after her. 

It seems like a lot of longtime members of Congress drop dead right after retirement (Orrin Hatch, John Conyers, etc.). Maybe the job is what keeps them going for so long. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

I'm originally from the district next to hers, she's a big deal in Dallas. Lots of stuff named after her. 

It seems like a lot of longtime members of Congress drop dead right after retirement (Orrin Hatch, John Conyers, etc.). Maybe the job is what keeps them going for so long. 

I think if you retire relatively younger from Congress, you tend to have quite a few live longer lives. Bob Dole lived at least 25 years after he retired, the same with John Glenn. Others like Hatch, Conyers, and George Voinovich in my state of Ohio don't live 10 years to their retirement.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2023 at 22:25, Thatcher said:

Eddie Bernice Johnson, former Congresswoman for Texas from 1993 - 2023 dead aged 89. A hit in some of the pools, including the DDP.

Her family is suing the hospital where she was recovering from spinal surgery for death caused by medical negligence:

• Like 3

Former governor of Iowa Robert D. Fulton dead at 94.

Obit not available for Europe.

• Like 5

On 04/03/2024 at 14:13, drol said:

Former governor of Iowa Robert D. Fulton dead at 94.

Obit not available for Europe.

He was Governor…for 16 days!  Here’s the story.

https://krna.com/iowa-forgotten-history/

David Pryor, former Governor of Arkansas from 1975 to 1979 and Senator from 1979 to 1997, has died aged 89.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

David Pryor, former Governor of Arkansas from 1975 to 1979 and Senator from 1979 to 1997, has died aged 89.

Fourth former US senator to pass away in 2024, all of which were democrats and/or Joe Lieberman.

(Since Dick Clark (Iowa) passed away in September 2023, Pryor is the seventh democratic senator in a row to pass away).

• Like 2