Death list boy

1. Jimmy Carter

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Trump was in Argentina when G H W Bush died. Nobody would cancel a major trip in case someone died when they not close enough to be at the death bed only for them of course to then not die at that point.

Maybe it’s a trend of the President going overseas, and an ex-President dies (Yes, I’m well-aware it’s silly to look for trends like that)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sean said:

George W Bush was abroad when Reagan died to commemorate the 60th anniversary of D-day. Presidents don`t cancel major trips just because their predecessor is on their last legs. It makes no difference where in the world you are especially in terms of addressing the nation as can be done technologically and that address will already be planned and ready to go.

yeah, the media's obsession with this is strange to me. biden's not his nurse. carter's death will have nothing to do with Constitutional implications. Carter is not some type of religion that requires immediate burial; he'll be lying in state.
as everyone knows here, then-princess elizabeth was in africa when her father died, and that at least had some implications.
i mean could you imagine if for the past decade, no president was allowed overseas as carter could die at any time??

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lilham said:

i mean could you imagine if for the past decade, no president was allowed overseas as carter could die at any time??

That is not the issue. He is dying, which was not the case before. I can understand why Biden's schedule might be disrupted. For the past decade as you say, he could have died at any time indeed but there was nothing to suggest it, unlike now. 

As for the queen, George VI was "well enough" to wave goodbye to his daughter on the 31st of January and died on the 6th of February. I suspect that people thought he had a little more time to come + royal family's engagement were much more important (especially the common wealth trip) at that time than Biden's trip these days. He could have easily canceled his trip if he'd known that Carter was on his deathbed. It can't be compared imo. 

+ G.H.W Bush could have died anytime, which, I think, is the reason why Donald Trump flew overseas. 

But you're right, it takes a little time between the announcement of his passing and his burial so I guess even if he does die during Biden's trip, he would still be home for the official ceremony.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

That is not the issue. He is dying, which was not the case before. I can understand why Biden's schedule might be disrupted. For the past decade as you say, he could have died at any time indeed but there was nothing to suggest it, unlike now. 

As for the queen, George VI was "well enough" to wave goodbye to his daughter on the 31st of January and died on the 6th of February. I suspect that people thought he had a little more time to come + royal family's engagement were much more important (especially the common wealth trip) at that time than Biden's trip these days. He could have easily canceled his trip if he'd known that Carter was on his deathbed. It can't be compared imo. 

+ G.H.W Bush could have died anytime, which, I think, is the reason why Donald Trump flew overseas. 

But you're right, it takes a little time between the announcement of his passing and his burial so I guess even if he does die during Biden's trip, he would still be home for the official ceremony.

We thought he was dying with the brain tumor several years ago. At least in America, Carter's previous brushes with death and his immortality are noted in conversation as common knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting trivia.  No US President has died in the month of May, maybe Jimmy Carter will be the first.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, chicago103 said:

Interesting trivia.  No US President has died in the month of May, maybe Jimmy Carter will be the first.

Well we know he won't be the first to die in Georgia.

• Like 2

Some guy named Jimmy Carter in Alabama just died and that threw me off for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It’s almost his second month in hospice care. I don’t understand how he is still here 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

It’s almost his second month in hospice care. I don’t understand how he is still here 

He's under the care of the folk looking after Frank Field, I'll wager. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/04/2023 at 15:23, ajlposh said:

Maybe it’s a trend of the President going overseas, and an ex-President dies (Yes, I’m well-aware it’s silly to look for trends like that)

7 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

… and given Joe Biden is now back in DC he’s got to make it until May when Joe jets off to Japan. Poor Jimmy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He managed to become over 4 years older than Bush.

• Like 3

On 22/03/2023 at 10:05, mollyafox said:

Didn’t last long: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, edwardsimon46 said:

2 months in Hospice 

Do you think there could be another one ?

• Like 1

What's the longest hospice stay in deadpooling history? Kris Travis was admitted to hospice in November 2015 and died March 2016, five months. Bruce Langhorne was reported to be in hospice for over a year but I think when he died it emerged he was just on home care rather than hospice? There was that jazz critic whose name I've forgotten that seemed to be in hospice for a year as well (early DL Cup round pick, didn't die until the DDP the following year and even then I think nobody picked him) but I don't know the ins-and-outs of that. Frank Field and Malachy McCourt are obviously hospice graduates so I don't think they count.

• Like 2

Stanley Crouch was the Jazz critic.

There was also Albert Raboteau, another Cup favorite of mine, roughly 7-and-a-half months in hospice care.

I seem to recall a priest... Rembert Weakland maybe? Though he lasted "only" 5 months in home hospice care.

• Like 2

Yet, none of them recovered from a brain metastasis tumor at 90. He really is the King of immortals.  

• Like 6

Margaret Keane? Robert Graetz? Henry Gray? Gray's stay was only four months and Keane was likely a hospice graduate (died at home, not in the hospice she had been five or four years before her death) but I think Graetz is a contender as multiple articles say he spent "years in hospice".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

What's the longest hospice stay in deadpooling history? Kris Travis was admitted to hospice in November 2015 and died March 2016, five months. Bruce Langhorne was reported to be in hospice for over a year but I think when he died it emerged he was just on home care rather than hospice? There was that jazz critic whose name I've forgotten that seemed to be in hospice for a year as well (early DL Cup round pick, didn't die until the DDP the following year and even then I think nobody picked him) but I don't know the ins-and-outs of that. Frank Field and Malachy McCourt are obviously hospice graduates so I don't think they count.

Not deadpooling but personally I knew of a lady who lived near my parents that lasted over 18 months on palliative care. She suffered a catastrophic fall in her 90s and broke several bones and was bed bound. Whilst hospitalised for the fall she was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism that could not be treated due to location age and frailty. She was up and down for 18 months before dying after contracting norovirus.

I had a great Uncle also who lasted 5 months in hospice care with terminal lung cancer however those 5 months were deeply unpleasant and it was a huge relief when he did finally die.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Bill Steel the former broadcaster and actor was reportedly receiving end of life care in April 2021 and is still with us as far as we know.Whether he is still on hospice who knows but given he has end stage dementia I doubt he has improved very much (except maybe being able to eat better like Gordon McQueen ) if at all due to the progressive nature of Alzheimers.

• Like 1

Didn’t Bill Freehan last about 3 years in hospice? Though it was for dementia related reasons 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sean said:

Bill Steel the former broadcaster and actor was reportedly receiving end of life care in April 2021 and is still with us as far as we know.Whether he is still on hospice who knows but given he has end stage dementia I doubt he has improved very much (except maybe being able to eat better like Gordon McQueen ) if at all due to the progressive nature of Alzheimers.

When it was first reported that Steel was ill he was being cared for at home, although he was bed ridden.

• Like 1

Patty Andrews was in hospice for at least a year, but it wasn’t really common knowledge

• Like 3