Death list boy

1. Jimmy Carter

The city of Uvalde, Texas was planning former Vice President John Nance Garner’s 99th birthday celebration when Garner passed away 15 days before his birthday. Keeping good thoughts and hopes for Carter. 
I had the opportunity of attending President Carter’s Sunday school class in 2015 shortly after his cancer announcement. He was then already 91 and after just a few months treatment was cancer free and remained active for several years. This bodes well for Carter’s continued presence for the near future.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 31/05/2023 at 13:03, Toast said:

I suspect it's not news to him.

But it is to her! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Puma85 said:

Now Carter is around day 129 so it is clearly unusually long according to this expert.

I suspect he wasn’t that ill When entering hospice care. Probably he just stop medicine and let his old age do the job but I don’t think je has terminal cancer or something like that

• Like 3

By now, I actually think it was just an excuse not to leave the house anymore, and to spend the time with Rosalynn who might actually be worse off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, gcreptile said:

By now, I actually think it was just an excuse not to leave the house anymore, and to spend the time with Rosalynn who might actually be worse off.

To be fair, it's not like he was planning to make any personal appearances post-covid anyway... The last interview he did was literal years ago.

• Like 1

I wonder if Jimmy and his family are regretting the decision to start hospice care. Maybe his condition wasn't as severe as doctors initially thought.

Or I think Jimmy was diagnosed with cancer and he elected to hospice care rather than seek treatment. I don't blame a 98-year-old that would rather die than seek treatment like chemo. 

• Like 9

on this day 77 years ago, future President and future First Lady Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter got married.

Jimmy Carter, wife Rosalynn Carter: Love story of the longest married  presidential couple

• Like 29

Regarding long-term hospice from personal experience. My grandmother was put in Hospice in January 2021 to avoid going back to the hospital and to slowly take her off her medications, similar to Jimmy right now. She died just before Christmas that year. Her quality of life was slipping, but she wasn't at death's door until her last month. So with Jimmy, it could be next week, it could be the end of the year. Like Jimmy, she was a tough old bird, making several recoveries when we thought it would be the end.

God bless Jimmy and Rosalynn as they're both in such a difficult time right now. Such great and faithful servants.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jd24fan said:

Regarding long-term hospice from personal experience. My grandmother was put in Hospice in January 2021 to avoid going back to the hospital and to slowly take her off her medications, similar to Jimmy right now. She died just before Christmas that year. Her quality of life was slipping, but she wasn't at death's door until her last month. So with Jimmy, it could be next week, it could be the end of the year. Like Jimmy, she was a tough old bird, making several recoveries when we thought it would be the end.

God bless Jimmy and Rosalynn as they're both in such a difficult time right now. Such great and faithful servants.

Hmm, totally get that

I think one safe bet is that he hasn't got than long - still the longest lived former president by some margin. By contrast Jim Callaghan - who died the day before his 93rd birthday - is the best Britain has achieved in that regard. 

• Like 2

On 10/07/2023 at 14:06, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm, totally get that

I think one safe bet is that he hasn't got than long - still the longest lived former president by some margin. By contrast Jim Callaghan - who died the day before his 93rd birthday - is the best Britain has achieved in that regard. 

Major may do it. Long way to go of course but seems to be in quite good health at 80 years of age. Not a smoker as far as I know and not known for his drinking either (He's no Ken Clarke that's for sure)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Major may do it. Long way to go of course but seems to be in quite good health at 80 years of age. Not a smoker as far as I know and not known for his drinking either (He's no Ken Clarke that's for sure)

Fair point, but Clarke turned 83 just over a week ago and he's still smoking and jazzing on his way. Summat of role model for good-timers, frankly, whose life would you rather have had, Major or him?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Fair point, but Clarke turned 83 just over a week ago and he's still smoking and jazzing on his way. Summat of role model for good-timers, frankly, whose life would you rather have had, Major or him?

Well I wouldn't have wanted to shag Edwina Curry

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Well I wouldn't have wanted to shag Edwina Curry

I would prefer to have a hot Currie rather than Clarke's wife.

_84223935_gettyimages-458805752.jpg&f=1&

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 22:34, Kenny said:

I would prefer to have a hot Currie rather than Clarke's wife.

_84223935_gettyimages-458805752.jpg&f=1&

Remember Clarke talking about Gillian. He said he smoked, drank a fair amount, was overweight and had a stressful career whereas none of these applied to Gillian and yet he's already outlived her by 8 years. 

• Like 1

Official statement : Carter dead ! Hugh « Sonny » Carter that is. Whoever he is…

Will there be a day when one of those blue statement popping in my notifications will be the right one ? 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Official statement : Carter dead ! Hugh « Sonny » Carter that is. Whoever he is.

First cousin of Jimmy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Comped said:

First cousin of Jimmy.

Didn't that carter die in 1999?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tango854 said:

Didn't that carter die in 1999?

Yes. This is his son, so he was Jimmy's second cousin

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Undead In Ohio said:

Yes. This is his son, so he was Jimmy's second cousin

No. If he's the son of Jimmy's first cousin, he's his first cousin once removed. 

He's second cousin to Jimmy's children.

The "removed" bit shows how many generations apart they are.  If there's no "removed", it means the individuals are of the same generation.

cousin-chart.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Grandson interviewed.

(After your elimination, you gave a very moving speech about your grandfather, revealing to the group that he'd recently been put in hospice care. Have you been able to visit him since filming?)

It's been harder and harder to see him. My mom spends a lot of her time with him. She spends almost half her time taking care of him at this point just because of things like COVID regulations. So it's really family oriented. I haven't been seeing him as much recently, but he knows that I love him and we're supporting him through this time.

(How is he doing?)

He's pretty sick. He still does use his brain. He listens to audiobooks. He's a genius. He's super smart. I love him. He always wants to be doing something with his mind, so he's trying to keep himself busy, but he is really sick and getting older.

(It was also made public since the show that your grandmother, Rosalynn Carter, has been battling dementia. How is she doing?)

I just want to say that she's an amazing woman. She's put in so much work in her life. She's done things for mental health. I want everyone to know how incredibly important and beautiful she is as a person and a grandma. Yeah, she does have dementia and when I see her, she does forget what's going on sometimes, but when she remembers it's amazing. I love her.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3