Mr Stats

World's Oldest

I've no idea the 118-118 jokes you refer to Dr Z

SirC

I would like to take the time to explain this to you but I fear it would not reflect well on the entire British people if I did.

• Like 2

This year for the first time I didn't pick the world's oldest for my DDP team. All her predecessors performed as expected, but mrs Okawa's failure to die last year prompted me to let her go, there were more valuable possibilities. I don't think she'll do a Jeanne Calment (who held the title for 9 years and 205 days), but she may well be around a few more years.

I was wrong. Oh well.

• Like 1

Taken from us too soon...

The only 118-118 thing I could come up with was something to do with it being the number for the UK's most expensive directory enquiries provider, but I fail to see the funny side. :scratchhead:

SirC

I would like to take the time to explain this to you but I fear it would not reflect well on the entire British people if I did.

Erm, remember his people gave the world "I'm lovin it", so.. easy on the shame there.

• Like 1

SirC

Haha I can accept that.

SC

Taken from us too soon...

The only 118-118 thing I could come up with was something to do with it being the number for the UK's most expensive directory enquiries provider, but I fail to see the funny side. :scratchhead:

A quick search for 118-118 jokes brings up a bunch of articles about a Pakistani bloke.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/Halibut-student-sent-racist-jokes-362127

"A Halibut student has been left shocked after receiving two racist ‘jokes’ by a text service operated by 118 118.

Kameron Abbas, 21, used the new joke service run by the directory inquiries company after seeing it advertised on TV.

He was horrified when he got sent a message saying: »What’s the difference between ET and an Asian? ET got the message and went home.«"

Misao Okawa was Asian, but I still fail to see the connection. (But it might be my fault.)

Unverified Uzbeki claimant Tuti Yusupova dies at (reputedly and at the risk of ire from Guests) 134. *gulp* http://www.elmostrador.cl/mundo/2015/04/01/muere-a-los-134-anos-tuti-yusupova-la-mujer-mas-longeva-del-mundo/

It's true! She got my great-great grandfather busted for serving alcohol to a minor at his general store back in 1892, that little bitch.

SirC

I decided not to put Misao Okawa on my list just because she was only famous for her old age, but now I kind of regret it.

I mean, it's already April and I only have 2 deaths while pretty much every other person here on the forum has, like, 4 or 5.

Pressure of the title seemed too much for Gertrude Weaver, not even the world's oldest person for a week and she's already dead.

Oldies dropping like flies! On 2015's strike rate so far, if there's a cleric somewhere named Ron Taylor who's over 100, we should be expecting his imminent demise.

Guest Guest

So that leaves 8 Victorians and 3 people born in their 1800s left alive. At this rate they'll all be gone in about a week !

Gertrude Weaver is already doing interviews!!! She's in trouble now...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3022010/Be-kind-live-long-worlds-oldest-woman-says-Arkansas.html

Edit: whoops, maybe she said what she said some time ago (read the article twice and thrice through, YW!!!)

The curse strikes again! Jerelean Talley should stay well away from the press!

EDIT:New Worlds oldest person Jerelean Talley: 116 next month.

http://s.alriyadh.com/2013/05/28/img/865552988204.jpg

• Like 1

Gertrude Weaver is already doing interviews!!! She's in trouble now...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3022010/Be-kind-live-long-worlds-oldest-woman-says-Arkansas.html

Edit: whoops, maybe she said what she said some time ago (read the article twice and thrice through, YW!!!)

The curse strikes again! Jerelean Talley should stay well away from the press!

Maybe we could get Susannah Mushatt Jones to interview Jerelean, on 23 May. No...fanciful.....perhaps....maybe...

Pressure of the title seemed too much for Gertrude Weaver, not even the world's oldest person for a week and she's already dead.

That leaves two human beings left born in the 1800s

SC

SC

Jerelean Talley 23/5/1899

Susannah Mushatt-Jones 6/7/1899

Emma Morano-Martinuzzi 29/11/1899

• Like 1

Bloody hell.Getrude Weaver didn't quite match her predecessors longevity as worlds oldest person did she ! http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/apr/06/worlds-oldest-person-dies-camden/?f=news-arkansas

Bit harsh, I mean, she lived a long time. Surely, it was Okawa's ability to continue shitting without leaving the pot that did for Weaver's tenure on the title.

SC

Jerelean Talley 23/5/1899

Susannah Mushatt-Jones 6/7/1899

Emma Morano-Martinuzzi 29/11/1899

Yes of course, my bad.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/11/worlds-oldest-people-1800s-secrets-to-long-life_n_6655570.html

Again, I'm reminded of how extraordinary the 122 years of Jeanne Calment were. I mean, the most holders of the title "world's oldest person" die around the age of 116-117. Simply because of the distribution of a bell curve one would expect then the odd person living to 118 or 119, and so there is just one person who died in that age range (as far as we know). But Jeanne Calment beat Sarah Knauss by three whole years. Truly a biological wonder.

• Like 1

Fun Fact: While Gertrude Weaver only held the title for 5 days, Emma Tillman only held it for 4 (in January 2007, I believe).

Anyways, Gertrude Weaver's death was really unexpected to me.

I mean, Misao Okawa looked like she couldn't move a face muscle and that she needs a drool bucket (that needs to be refilled twice an hour), but she made it to 117.

Gerty, however, looked a lot better, so I was thinking she might make at least 118.

I guess at such an old age, you never know.

• Like 1