Mr Stats

World's Oldest

A supercentarian is one that has seen out 110 years, so 111 is correct in the listings.

Don't agree ? Fuck you :)

• Like 1

A supercentarian is one that has seen out 110 years, so 111 is correct in the listings.

Don't agree ? Fuck you :)

I don't agree but I like your moxy!

SC

(...) {Quotes snipped for brevity}

I wonder what will happen if "Anonymous" becomes the oldest person in the world ? Have we ever had an anonymous oldest person before?

Nope that would be a first.
Except for all those thousands of years when there was no press, birth certificates, or the popular concept of "records".
I beg to differ. The concept of longevity records is at least as old as The Holy Bible. But it would have been quite hard to challenge the record holder.

Genesis 5:21-27

21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:

22 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:

23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:

24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

25 And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech.

26 And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters:

27 And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died."

28 And the days of Zsa Zsa Gabor was a bloody long time by all accounts

• Like 1

Good to hear Ruth Newman has had her longevity verified while alive. She survived the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, and is still breathing.

*insert random plug for 2016 Deathrace here*

Good indeed that she got verified when she did, less than a month later and she's now dead. Leaves Bill Del Monte as the only known survivor of the 1906 SF quake.

Guest Guest

Came across this article just now. At 110 Agnes Fenton gotta be in the top 100. Anyway she looks like she'll be kicking for a couple years yet.

SC

Edit: Good quote from article: "That means roughly 1 in every 10 million people in the world is a supercentenarian." Now we have a statistic.

Wikipedia currently has 47 verified people aged 111 or more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_living_people

For some reason, they do not have the 110 year-old people in the official list (too many or none at all?), but they have 7 cases in the "pending" list. Well, I guess, since the 110-year old people have just recently become supercentenarians, the verification process needs some time to confirm them.

Anyway, I had checked that list because there apparently was a 114-year old woman in India that just died, but she didn't appear on any list either:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/tamil-nadu/114-year-old-toda-woman-passes-away_1639002.html

Her age of 114 would have put her in the top 10.

if we added all the anonymous or unverified oldest people on to the list it would probably triple or quadruple. it's better to pretend they don't exist , to stop us going mad

Came across this article just now. At 110 Agnes Fenton gotta be in the top 100. Anyway she looks like she'll be kicking for a couple years yet.

SC

Edit: Good quote from article: "That means roughly 1 in every 10 million people in the world is a supercentenarian." Now we have a statistic.

Wikipedia currently has 47 verified people aged 111 or more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_living_people

For some reason, they do not have the 110 year-old people in the official list (too many or none at all?), but they have 7 cases in the "pending" list. Well, I guess, since the 110-year old people have just recently become supercentenarians, the verification process needs some time to confirm them.

Anyway, I had checked that list because there apparently was a 114-year old woman in India that just died, but she didn't appear on any list either:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/tamil-nadu/114-year-old-toda-woman-passes-away_1639002.html

Her age of 114 would have put her in the top 10.

I wonder what will happen if "Anonymous" becomes the oldest person in the world ? Have we ever had an anonymous oldest person before?

Nope that would be a first.

Except for all those thousands of years when there was no press, birth certificates, or the popular concept of "records".

* Since Guinness World records was founded in 1955 .

Good to hear Ruth Newman has had her longevity verified while alive. She survived the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, and is still breathing.

Ruth Newman is reportedly dead on August 1st.

This leaves the 1906 San Francisco earthquake survivor count to William de Monte being the last known survivor.

• Like 2

This leaves the 1906 San Francisco earthquake survivor count to William de Monte being the last known survivor.

Who the fuck keeps track of that; how did you find it; what the fuck is going on on this big blue marble whilst it spins?,!

SC

Who the fuck keeps track of that; how did you find it; what the fuck is going on on this big blue marble whilst it spins?,!

SC

Well the GRG keeps track of supercentenarians. (i.e Newman)

And there have been several articles over the years published around the anniversary of the quake, this is a recent one: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Victims-Survivors-of-1906-San-Francisco-Earthquake-Honored-300344371.html

It notes both Newman and Del Monte being alive and the only reckoned survivors at the time of its publication.

SC

It's called "research"

• Like 1

SC

It's called "research"

Not answering my question. I don't believe for one second (and it's moot now) that one could enter 'living survivors of the San Francisco earthquake 1906' and that anyone anywhere on the Web had that list. As a goddamn LIBRARIAN and former CORPORATE SPY (er... collector of actionable business intelligence) I think I know a wee bit about 'research'. I also think I know what is simply too obtuse to obtain, like 'living survivors of the San Francisco earthquake 1906'. So again I ask, who the fuck keeps track of that? I doubt the San Francisco Chronicle had a story posted years back listing the few survivors still breathing, but impress me with a link.

SC

SC

It's called "research"

Not answering my question. I don't believe for one second (and it's moot now) that one could enter 'living survivors of the San Francisco earthquake 1906' and that anyone anywhere on the Web had that list. As a goddamn LIBRARIAN and former CORPORATE SPY (er... collector of actionable business intelligence) I think I know a wee bit about 'research'. I also think I know what is simply too obtuse to obtain, like 'living survivors of the San Francisco earthquake 1906'. So again I ask, who the fuck keeps track of that? I doubt the San Francisco Chronicle had a story posted years back listing the few survivors still breathing, but impress me with a link.

SC

LOL, well he called it research, I call it Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1906_San_Francisco_earthquake#Centennial_commemorations

There was a centennial commemoration, where eleven survivors participated, were interviewed and birth data written down somewhere. Naturally, all older than 100. Then we know all of them died and a new guy who was only a few months old at the time is presumed to be the last survivor. Then again we don't know if there was a survivor who didn't wanna come out and might still be alive, but it's unlikely.

Edited by GossipGabe

SC

It's called "research"

SC

People with an interest in history like to keep track of these sort of things. While others may think it strange, for others it becomes a hobby. Just go along to any local museum of any small town, and you'll be surprised at what may be trivial to your average person, another will have painstakingly documented. Most places have that person which often the local press will cite as their "local historian"

• Like 2

Nelly de Vries-Lammerts, oldest woman in the Netherlands, 110. (Dutch link) http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1012/Nederland/article/detail/4131202/2015/08/28/Oudste-inwoner-Nederland-overleden.dhtml

Has anyone asked people when they turn 110 if it feels super to be a super-centenarian?

Not many of them escape that decade alive once they've entered it.

Still breathing...... Until now.

RIP

Should post in Survivor thread IMHO.

SC

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/03/us/ruth-newman-a-survivor-of-the-1906-san-francisco-earthquake-dies-at-113.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

Still breathing...... Until now.

RIP

Should post in Survivor thread IMHO.

SC

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/03/us/ruth-newman-a-survivor-of-the-1906-san-francisco-earthquake-dies-at-113.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

Yeah, but there will still be a 2016 Deathrace, so consider it randomly plugged.

• Like 1

The fourth oldest person verified in the world has died in Japan. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/09/28/national/japans-oldest-woman-dies-at-115-kagoshima-resident-now-record-holder/#.Vgkcj-SFONN

At this point she remains the mysterious "Anonymous". Both people in Mike's post here have now died. http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=145&p=231546

• Like 1

Guest Guest

The fourth oldest person verified in the world has died in Japan. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/09/28/national/japans-oldest-woman-dies-at-115-kagoshima-resident-now-record-holder/#.Vgkcj-SFONN

At this point she remains the mysterious "Anonymous". Both people in Mike's post here have now died. http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=145&p=231546

IF SHE'S ANONYMOUS HOW DO THEY KNOW SHE'S DIED? :scratchhead: