Deadornot

Who are the immortals?

2 hours ago, Joltin Joe said:

Wrestler Aurelian Smith Jr, AKA Jake "The Snake" Roberts, has so many health issues that it has it's own lengthy subsection in his Wikipedia article.

Most of them appear to be relatively treatable conditions though... In comparison to some of his colleagues!

• Like 1

On 05/06/2024 at 22:48, arghton said:

8. Sir Julius Chan

Former Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea. Hospitalizations in atleast 2021 and 2023. Rumored dead three times in recent years.

Make it four, and he's still alive. This time he has released a statement, too, that I personally found amusing:

These wicked people seem to be working very hard with no rest behind gadgets to spread fake news. This is not the first time and it seems I've resurrected a 100th time.  As I speak, I'm still holding onto my golden keys to heaven. Someone out there is hellbent to send me to the pearly gates of heaven. Trace and charge those individuals behind these fake accounts. Your days are numbered, the Law will soon catch up with you.

@tracy might also have a few great suggestions for next year's list. I recall he's once posted a good list of perennially ill folks, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arghton said:

@tracy might also have a few great suggestions for next year's list. I recall he's once posted a good list of perennially ill folks, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

My old post had Peter Angelos, Lowell Weicker, Chris Haughey, Harvey Carignan, Walt Brown, and Barthe DeClements. I guess it needs some replenishing, given it's three quarters dead.

For some common DL names that haven't been brought up in this thread, I think by this point, Peter Max and Donald Sterling are certainly notable enough to be immortals by now. Max is pretty close to Joanne Woodward territory with his Alzheimer's (and he's seven years younger, who knows how long he could truck on), and Donald Sterling has had Alzheimer's for a decade at this point, in addition to his previous prostate cancer. I'd also toss Larry Merchant out there, given it appears he's bounced back from his vertigo-induced critical condition hospitalization.

My more niche overdue guys:

Vikki Dougan: Hermit estranged from her daughters who lives in a small apartment and sleeps on a pullout couch. Had some form of cancer in her 50s and has suffered from pneumonia in the past. Was supposed to attend an autograph signing last fall but was ultimately a no-show, ostensibly due to poor health but, honestly, I'd buy if she just didn't care enough to go, given she's supposedly in her apartment 24/7 anyway.

Frank Layden: Easily one of the fattest celebrities to have ever become a nonagenarian (he was north of 330 pounds until his mid-60s, when John McSherry's death spooked him into shedding some weight). Not doing too badly all things considered, but he's still quite frail and has a nasal cannula.

George Cabot Lodge: One of the handful of 1960s US Senate nominees still around. In his case, he was the GOP's nominee to for JFK's seat after he was elected President, so he's a somewhat interesting minor historical figure. There's some speculation in recent years that he's not doing so great; he wrote a handful of political articles every year up until 2017, when he went silent sans explanation, and then all of his papers were donated to Harvard. I only mention him because I first heard this stuff like five years ago and figured he'd be dead soon, but he's 97 next month, so he's logging some pretty solid overtime.

Rocky Colavito: Pretty impressed this guy made 90 as he's taken quite a beating healthwise. Diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1992, had a massive heart attack in 2003 that required quadruple bypass surgery. Developed type 2 diabetes at some point and had his leg amputated in 2015. Seeing as how he appeared to collect a new ailment every decade or so, who knows what 2025 will have in store for him.

Frank Baker: This guy (the former Yankees and Orioles shortstop) isn't particularly notable in terms of health, but because he doesn't have any mentions on here, I'll make him the honorable mention: he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2018 and given a 4%-8% chance to live, so the fact he's still kicking is pretty impressive given he was 72 when diagnosed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guy Warren (1921-2024)

Paint it, Black

"That Guy is no match for me!" (King Jimmy Carter)

"Guy Warren is coming to an end" (Jason Carter, 1988)

Peter Wegner: Portrait of Guy Warren at 100 :: Archibald Prize 2021 | Art  Gallery of NSW

Age at death: 103

Known health issues: prostate cancer, quadruple bypass surgery, but the masterpiece was surviving a massive stroke in 2022, aged 101.

Cause of death: was in hospice care for unspecified ailments.

Alignment: Definitely a nice guy by any standards.

• Like 6