Deadornot

Who are the immortals?

2 hours ago, Joltin Joe said:

Wrestler Aurelian Smith Jr, AKA Jake "The Snake" Roberts, has so many health issues that it has it's own lengthy subsection in his Wikipedia article.

Most of them appear to be relatively treatable conditions though... In comparison to some of his colleagues!

• Like 1

On 05/06/2024 at 22:48, arghton said:

8. Sir Julius Chan

Former Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea. Hospitalizations in atleast 2021 and 2023. Rumored dead three times in recent years.

Make it four, and he's still alive. This time he has released a statement, too, that I personally found amusing:

These wicked people seem to be working very hard with no rest behind gadgets to spread fake news. This is not the first time and it seems I've resurrected a 100th time.  As I speak, I'm still holding onto my golden keys to heaven. Someone out there is hellbent to send me to the pearly gates of heaven. Trace and charge those individuals behind these fake accounts. Your days are numbered, the Law will soon catch up with you.

@tracy might also have a few great suggestions for next year's list. I recall he's once posted a good list of perennially ill folks, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arghton said:

@tracy might also have a few great suggestions for next year's list. I recall he's once posted a good list of perennially ill folks, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

My old post had Peter Angelos, Lowell Weicker, Chris Haughey, Harvey Carignan, Walt Brown, and Barthe DeClements. I guess it needs some replenishing, given it's three quarters dead.

For some common DL names that haven't been brought up in this thread, I think by this point, Peter Max and Donald Sterling are certainly notable enough to be immortals by now. Max is pretty close to Joanne Woodward territory with his Alzheimer's (and he's seven years younger, who knows how long he could truck on), and Donald Sterling has had Alzheimer's for a decade at this point, in addition to his previous prostate cancer. I'd also toss Larry Merchant out there, given it appears he's bounced back from his vertigo-induced critical condition hospitalization.

My more niche overdue guys:

Vikki Dougan: Hermit estranged from her daughters who lives in a small apartment and sleeps on a pullout couch. Had some form of cancer in her 50s and has suffered from pneumonia in the past. Was supposed to attend an autograph signing last fall but was ultimately a no-show, ostensibly due to poor health but, honestly, I'd buy if she just didn't care enough to go, given she's supposedly in her apartment 24/7 anyway.

Frank Layden: Easily one of the fattest celebrities to have ever become a nonagenarian (he was north of 330 pounds until his mid-60s, when John McSherry's death spooked him into shedding some weight). Not doing too badly all things considered, but he's still quite frail and has a nasal cannula.

George Cabot Lodge: One of the handful of 1960s US Senate nominees still around. In his case, he was the GOP's nominee to for JFK's seat after he was elected President, so he's a somewhat interesting minor historical figure. There's some speculation in recent years that he's not doing so great; he wrote a handful of political articles every year up until 2017, when he went silent sans explanation, and then all of his papers were donated to Harvard. I only mention him because I first heard this stuff like five years ago and figured he'd be dead soon, but he's 97 next month, so he's logging some pretty solid overtime.

Rocky Colavito: Pretty impressed this guy made 90 as he's taken quite a beating healthwise. Diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1992, had a massive heart attack in 2003 that required quadruple bypass surgery. Developed type 2 diabetes at some point and had his leg amputated in 2015. Seeing as how he appeared to collect a new ailment every decade or so, who knows what 2025 will have in store for him.

Frank Baker: This guy (the former Yankees and Orioles shortstop) isn't particularly notable in terms of health, but because he doesn't have any mentions on here, I'll make him the honorable mention: he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2018 and given a 4%-8% chance to live, so the fact he's still kicking is pretty impressive given he was 72 when diagnosed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guy Warren (1921-2024)

Paint it, Black

"That Guy is no match for me!" (King Jimmy Carter)

"Guy Warren is coming to an end" (Jason Carter, 1988)

Peter Wegner: Portrait of Guy Warren at 100 :: Archibald Prize 2021 | Art  Gallery of NSW

Age at death: 103

Known health issues: prostate cancer, quadruple bypass surgery, but the masterpiece was surviving a massive stroke in 2022, aged 101.

Cause of death: was in hospice care for unspecified ailments.

Alignment: Definitely a nice guy by any standards.

• Like 6

The oldest war veteran in the world Ilie Ciocan has a long history of poor health, he suffers from Alzheimer's disease, he fell out of bed twice last month and the second time he fractured his pelvis, When he was over 70 years old underwent three surgeries in one day: prostate, appendicitis and herniated disc.
At 93 years old, he slipped in the snow and broke his leg. He was in the cold for a long time, they could have found him frozen, but he escaped. He preferred not to have a cast put on him for fear of losing his leg, as the doctors warned him, who did not even give him many days to live.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/adevarul.ro/amp/stil-de-viata/magazin/romanul-care-a-ajuns-la-111-ani-ce-aliment-2365544.html
Candidate for immortal? 

Shi Ping (1911-2024)

"Don't worry, the shipping is for free!" (Undertakers to Shi's family regarding his urn)

"There can be only one Ping" (Song Ping)

"How can I talk with my Chinese counterparts if they keep dying on me?" (Jimmy Carter)

picture

Age at death: 112

Known health issues: Hospitalised for the last twelve years of his life, severe hypertension since the early 2000s, wheelchair bound and advanced dementia in his last years, survived severe COVID in 2023, on oxygen since. Bedridden and on life support in 2024. And beside that, the fucking world's oldest man.

Cause of death: Multiple organ failure, like a real Immortal.

Alignment: Reportedly a nice and funny guy, his biggest deed in life was being executive producer of Tommy Wiseau's The Room. Jokes aside, Shi Ping was a big fan of KFC since it was introduced in China in 1987. In his 90s and already in declining health, he escaped home to go buy a big bucket of chicken wings from a nearby KFC. Shi was the world's oldest living man, though he was in the process of being validated. Despite some claimants like Josias de Oliveira and Rashid Karimov, the title is quite surely up to John Tinniswood.

• Like 8

Surely the last Chinese man born during the Chinese Empire?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

Surely the last Chinese man born during the Chinese Empire?

correct.

54 minutes ago, jimbean1121 said:

correct.

Unless I’m much mistaken, the last Chinese imperial subject. 

• Shocked 1

Here are some more names for Jimmy Carter to outlast:

Earlier suggestions I agree with:

Spoiler

Pasqual Maragall (1941): Alzheimer's since 2007. One of the original suggestions by arghton on page 4 of this thread

Louis Farrakhan (1933) and Oscar Wyatt (1924): a pair of nonagenarian fatties. The former had enough health issues to make the DeathList twenty years ago, and the latter turns 100 next week.

Marita Camacho Quirós (1911): How many actually noteworthy people make it to 113?

Peter Marshall (1926-2024) and Amartya Sen (1933): I would also support their inclusion on next year's DeathList

Wang Xiji (1921): Zombie

Gyanashree Mahathero (1925): ...or at least the 80 pounds left of him.

Jamshid bin Abdullah (1929): Has been on his "last legs" for ages.

Widely accepted as immortal, but not on the list:

Grand Cunt Hossein Wahid Khorasani (1921): Has spent the last 103 years supporting Billy Joel's theory that only the good die young.

Wang Fuzhi (1923): the last of China's "Founding Generals".

Harrison Ruffin Tyler (1928): In failing health for 12 years. Grandfather was President John Tyler (born 1790). How?

Original suggestions:

Min Jingde (1915): Probably not famous enough, but he's in dire condition.

Moshe Sternbuch (1926): Morbidly obese Haredi rabbi on oxygen.

Wu Liangyong (1922): Legendary architect/urban planner who suffered a massive stroke in 2008.

Sam Nujoma (1929): Overweight Namibian president. Rumored ill since 2009, survived COVID in 2020, hospitalized in May 2024, and missed his sister's funeral last month.

Mahmoud Abbas (1935): Widely unpopular Palestinian leader in poor health for a long time.

Kaiti Grey (1924): Centenarian with advanced dementia who survived a serious trip to the ICU earlier this year

Larry (2007): Chief Mouser at 10 Downing Street. Despite rumored ill health, he has outlasted five Prime Ministers and one monarch. 

• Like 6

Not sure Larry is really worthy of immortal status. 17 isn't a really extreme age for a cat, and he's always seemed in fairly fine fettle to me.

Wouldn't say Harrison Tyler is either. Most nonagenarians have been "in failing health" in their latter years to some degree. The others seem fair though.

• Like 1

On 05/07/2024 at 13:03, polar duck said:

Grandfather was President John Tyler (born 1790). How?

a bit of history for you, john tyler had a son named Lyon in 1853 at age 63, and Lyon had Harrison in 1928 when he was 75. you're welcome.

• Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Master Obit said:

Not sure Larry is really worthy of immortal status. 17 isn't a really extreme age for a cat, and he's always seemed in fairly fine fettle to me.

Wouldn't say Harrison Tyler is either. Most nonagenarians have been "in failing health" in their latter years to some degree. The others seem fair though.

Given all the attention on Larry in the last few days, he seems in pretty good health. At least from all the videos I've seen, I don't even think he cares that there's now a new pm. But I heard something on the BBC about the family potentially getting a dog, which might not be the best of ideas... Larry can apparently be pretty damn territorial.

56 minutes ago, Comped said:

Given all the attention on Larry in the last few days, he seems in pretty good health. At least from all the videos I've seen, I don't even think he cares that there's now a new pm. But I heard something on the BBC about the family potentially getting a dog, which might not be the best of ideas... Larry can apparently be pretty damn territorial.

Larry coped with Boris’s dog didn’t he?

12 hours ago, Father Brown said:

Larry coped with Boris’s dog didn’t he?

Did Boris have a dog?

1 hour ago, Comped said:

Did Boris have a dog?

They had a Jack Russell, didn't they?

I read somewhere that the Starmers have a cat called Jojo.  That might not go over well with Larry.

9 hours ago, Toast said:

They had a Jack Russell, didn't they?

I read somewhere that the Starmers have a cat called Jojo.  That might not go over well with Larry.

Larry doesn't seem to like other cats, or most mammals, very much. But a large dog like the PM has said his kids want maybe a little more troublesome for Larry than a cat.

My personal immortal Ira "Ike" Schab turned 104 a few days ago. Not too shabby (or rather Schabby, in this case.) I must say, considering he was hospitalized several times for pneumonia and once for COVID-19 in his centenarian years and made his "dying wish" three years ago. Doesn't seem to be any recent news except he has extremely poor eyesight now according to his daughter and Schab himself remains alert.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Chinese-American physicist Tsung-Dao Lee died at 98 years:

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2024-08-05/news-1vOScJzZCA8/p.html

Crossposting, the drought is over. Not a very "memorable" immortal, but he had been gravely ill back in 2007 and mostly unable to attend events in his last ten years.

Also, DDP LotM if I'm correct.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, arghton said:

Crossposting, the drought is over. Not a very "memorable" immortal, but he had been gravely ill back in 2007 and mostly unable to attend events in his last ten years.

Also, DDP LotM if I'm correct.

He was picked way back in 2012, so yes.

• Like 2

Tsung-Dao Lee (1926-2024)

"Worst sidekick ever" (Chen Ning-yang)

"WhoOOOooOOOooooo?" (Everyone)

Tsung-Dao Lee – Photo gallery - NobelPrize.org

Age at death: 97

Known health issues: Gravely ill in 2007, frail and housebound for the last ten years.

Cause of death: Natural causes

Alignment: First generation Immortal, who was at the peak of his career in 1957. He and Chen Ning-yang shared a bit of immortality juice, and he is survived by his older and way more Immortal colleague. In his private life he directed The Room starring Tommy Wiseau, which turned a critical and commercial failure, prompting his departure from the cinematographic industry.

• Like 8

On 26/12/2023 at 12:56, drol said:

Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee

Former West Bengal CM Buddhadeb Bhattacharya hospitalised

Survived hospitalizations in critical condition and being on life support despite late-stage COPD

Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee reportedly dead: https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/Newsalert/3045341-former-west-bengal-chief-minister-buddhadeb-bhattacharjee-dies-cpim-state-secretary-mohd-salim

• Like 5