football_fan

Dead Drummers

Dreadful news. Natty Brooker, former drummer with seminal 80s druggy psychadelic band Spaceman 3 is suffering from terminal cancer. :(

Also an artist, he designed the album sleeve for Spiritualized's Laser Guided Melodies.

41W6P7PETSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Like 1

Dreadful news. Natty Brooker, former drummer with seminal 80s druggy psychadelic band Spaceman 3 is suffering from terminal cancer. :(

Also an artist, he designed the album sleeve for Spiritualized's Laser Guided Melodies.

41W6P7PETSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

That's awful, apart from anything else his broadsheet obit chances are hard to call.

UK's King of Drummers Bobby Graham dies from stomach cancer at 69.

It really got him.

Bobby Graham

"Bobby Graham, hailed as one of the UK’s greatest drummers, died yesterday after battling stomach cancer.

Graham, 69, played on more than 15,000 records including Downtown by Petula Clark and worked with stars including The Animals, Dusty ­Springfield and Tom Jones.

His best-known work is on hit song You Really Got Me, which he recorded while sitting in for The Kinks’ drummer Mick Avory.

The band’s lead singer Ray Davies said: “When Dave [Davies] played the ­opening chords, Bobby forgot the complicated introduction he had planned, and just thumped one beat on the snare drum with as much power as he could muster.”

Graham claimed to have turned down the chance to join The Beatles before Ringo Starr because they were not famous enough."

I picked Bobby Graham on the CPDP - I do hope he gets a mention on either the BBC or The Independent, otherwise I won't get any points.

I picked Bobby Graham on the CPDP - I do hope he gets a mention on either the BBC or The Independent, otherwise I won't get any points.

I don't think he'll get an obit in CNN or the New York Times, but he might sneak into a Canadian news source, which would count as well. In any case, I'm going to hold off updating the CPDP for a day or two to see if Graham gets an obit.

Beau Velasco, of the aptly named Aussie electro-punk band The Death Set.

One drummer to keep an eye on in the years to come would be Levon Helm, drummer and vocalist for The Band also the original drummer from back when they were known as The Hawks and were the backing band for Ronnie Hawkins.

He was diagnosed with throat cancer a few years ago, but operations were successfull and he's back drumming and touring with The Band.

He's had a benign lesion removed from his vocal cords. Apparently caused by acid reflux, which I don't think has anything to do with the lysergic experiences he probably enjoyed down at Big Pink.

As mentioned on the Names Forum, former band colleague of Humphrey Lyttelton, Ludovic Kennedy has drummed his last.

Chuck Biscuits, former Danzig drummer has died aged 44. Great name!

Jerry Fuchs

The drummer has died aged 34 after plunging down an elevator shaft. Fuchs played in the bands Turing Machine, Maserati and The Juan Machine as well as !!! (never heard of any of them, but he's a drummer, and does have a page on Wikipedia)

Jerry Fuchs

The drummer has died aged 34 after plunging down an elevator shaft. Fuchs played in the bands Turing Machine, Maserati and The Juan Machine as well as !!! (never heard of any of them, but he's a drummer, and does have a page on Wikipedia)

Well and trully 'Fuched'!!!

Allen Shellenberger, a drummer who doesn't strike a match in my mind of drummers who exist as I know it, but he exists to some people and he plays for a band called 'Lit' and he has been hospitalized because of a brain tumor. A drum just beats for drummers in the world of death. I just can't figure it out.

The prognosis doesn't look very good for Allen Schellenberger.

Allen Shellenberger, 40, has been battling a malignant brain tumor for more than a year, and the tumor has reached Stage IV....The cancer is having a hell of time beating him, but the type of cancer he has is unbeatable. It's just been a matter of keeping him from feeling pain.

I so nearly picked him for my DDP team, but changed my mind at the last minute because I wasn't conviced he'd get the right obituary. I think I replaced him with Alex Higgins. :(

He is dead. http://consequenceofsound.net/2009/08/14/l...ger-dead-at-39/

Wonder if he will get the obit?

I might have a Christmas present for you Misers. :lol:

Is this enough of a mention to get those who picked Allen Shellenberger DDP points? It's the BBC and it says he's dead, I think that is all that is asked for.

Allen Shellenberger, a drummer who doesn't strike a match in my mind of drummers who exist as I know it, but he exists to some people and he plays for a band called 'Lit' and he has been hospitalized because of a brain tumor. A drum just beats for drummers in the world of death. I just can't figure it out.

The prognosis doesn't look very good for Allen Schellenberger.

Allen Shellenberger, 40, has been battling a malignant brain tumor for more than a year, and the tumor has reached Stage IV....The cancer is having a hell of time beating him, but the type of cancer he has is unbeatable. It's just been a matter of keeping him from feeling pain.

I so nearly picked him for my DDP team, but changed my mind at the last minute because I wasn't conviced he'd get the right obituary. I think I replaced him with Alex Higgins. :(

He is dead. http://consequenceofsound.net/2009/08/14/l...ger-dead-at-39/

Wonder if he will get the obit?

I might have a Christmas present for you Misers. :lol:

Is this enough of a mention to get those who picked Allen Shellenberger DDP points? It's the BBC and it says he's dead, I think that is all that is asked for.

DDP: You are the man.

I might have a Christmas present for you Misers. :(

Well the rules say: "'Obituary' simply means an article which mentions the fact that the person has died. It doesn't have to be the conventional biographical write-up."

One last tough one for OoO to call before he leaves, a call that may define his very legacy. Does the page qualify as an "article" or not? Tune in next week...

Well the rules say: "'Obituary' simply means an article which mentions the fact that the person has died. It doesn't have to be the conventional biographical write-up."

One last tough one for OoO to call before he leaves, a call that may define his very legacy. Does the page qualify as an "article" or not? Tune in next week...

Well, I'm not going to give points based on that link - one as it is an advertisement for MusicBrainz, but also, although it doesn't have to be a broadsheet obit, it does need to be an article. This appears to be akin to a links or encylopedia page, so based on that, I have to say no.

It's up to TMIB for what he will do, but that's my call & I'll live with it. I'll try & do what might be my last update tomorrow for Caldera.

Is 'natural causes' becoming some new medical euphemism?

Did Jimi Hendrix dies of natural causes? :(

Is 'natural causes' becoming some new medical euphemism?

Did Jimi Hendrix dies of natural causes? :(

An undertaker friend of mine said that everyone died of the same thing: "Short of breath." (Sounds better if pronounced with a Yorkshire accent)