Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Guest Taylor

Margaret Dumont from the Marx Brothers films

The Conman who inspired American Hustle is still knocking around at 89, he was interviewed on Sky this morning for his 'new found fame'

...who died in 1965!

...who died in 1965!

She'd be 131 if she was still alive

Guest J Doobie

Just found out Maureen O'Hara is still alive

Thought she kicked the bucket decades ago

Just found out Maureen O'Hara is still alive

Thought she kicked the bucket decades ago

Oh, aye, there was a bit of a kerfuffle with her and a press conference a while back:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2177124/Maureen-OHara-Bitter-rift-star-The-Quiet-Man-personal-assistant.html

I was reading an obituary of Jim Casey, son of the comedian Jimmy James and a comedy performer in his own right, as well as a scriptwriter. It contains a quote from his cousin Jack Casey, better known as Eli Woods, whose trademark stutter and gormless delivery made him a familiar face on TV in the 60s and 70s. Eli is now 88 and some of his more recent appearances were on "Last of the Summer Wine" - which would explain why I wasn't aware he was still with us.

He's not any more - he's died - aged 91. http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2014/05/02/20105/variety_era_comic_eli_woods_dies

Jean Coutu- virtually unknown to the rest of the world, I would imagine, but if you ever venture to Canada you'd see his name pop up on numerous street corners. Didn't think 'Jean Coutu' was named after anyone.

image.jpg

Jean Coutu- virtually unknown to the rest of the world, I would imagine, but if you ever venture to Canada you'd see his name pop up on numerous street corners. Didn't think 'Jean Coutu' was named after anyone.

image.jpg

I know we've had this conversation before but...

Eddie Stobart - as in the bloke who gave his name to the lorry firm - is still alive, well into his eighties and long retired. Edward Stobart, Eddie's son, died of a heart attack a few years ago and it was Edward who turned the small time operation into the UK's largest independent haulier. Edward had left the firm before he died, but his brother William is still involved.

Eddie's wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Stobart

• Like 1

Izola Curry: you may remember her from such assassination attempts as Martin Luther King, Jr in Harlem in 1958.

Currently 98 years old and was placed in a nursing home after sustaining injuries from a fall.

Guest Guest

Siegfried Lenz. Only in his early eighties but just another one of those I'd forgotten hadn't died. He always reminds me of an embarrasing moment in my A-level German class. We had to do a book review and I'd chose something by him unaware it was rather famous. I'd only read half of it and thought I could get away with it but of course I didn't.

It seems a fair number of Gruppe 47 are still alive and getting on. May be a few ideas for the future.

Lenz dead at 88 http://www.dw.de/ger...d-88/a-17980434

Siegfried Lenz. Only in his early eighties but just another one of those I'd forgotten hadn't died. He always reminds me of an embarrasing moment in my A-level German class. We had to do a book review and I'd chose something by him unaware it was rather famous. I'd only read half of it and thought I could get away with it but of course I didn't.

It seems a fair number of Gruppe 47 are still alive and getting on. May be a few ideas for the future.

Lenz dead at 88 http://www.dw.de/ger...d-88/a-17980434

Oh dear. That book review must have embarassed me a lot as I've just mentioned it again in the authors thread.

• Like 1

Jeannie Rousseau, a French spy during WW2. The last news I could find about her is from 2008, so I presume is still with us at 95.

regards,

Hein

Not sure if there is the opposite topic people who I thought were alive turn out to have been dead for years.

In compiling my list of Britishness I was going to include Michael Staniforth who would be well known to a generation of British kids as Timothy Claypole in Rentaghost only to find out he died in 1987 aged 45. Whereas Jeffrey Segal (Mr Perkins) is still going strong aged 94.

Not sure if there is the opposite topic people who I thought were alive turn out to have been dead for years.

In compiling my list of Britishness I was going to include Michael Staniforth who would be well known to a generation of British kids as Timothy Claypole in Rentaghost only to find out he died in 1987 aged 45. Whereas Jeffrey Segal (Mr Perkins) is still going strong aged 94.

There was a thread for people you'd forgotten were dead but it didn't get a lot of traffic. I'm not sure if that's quite the same thing. Rentaghost has had a few mentions in other threads. Quite a few of us didn't know Staniforth had died until a good long while afterwards.

Here's the forgotten they were dead thread http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7969&st=0&p=162911&hl=coman&fromsearch=1entry162911

Guest Guest

Was surprised to find out that singer Ben E. King known for the song "Stand By Me" is still alive.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Ben_E._King

I just sort of assumed that he would have been one of those people who would have died a long time ago.

I've mentioned them elsewhere in the DL but Britain's 1959 Eurovision team Pearl Carr (91) and Teddy Johnson (94) are still around and so is legendary voice artist and instigator of word jazz Ken Nordine (94).

I've mentioned them elsewhere in the DL but Britain's 1959 Eurovision team Pearl Carr (91) and Teddy Johnson (94) are still around and so is legendary voice artist and instigator of word jazz Ken Nordine (94).

When the people have finished prosecuting former Nazis for crimes against humanity I imagine they will catch up with all the Jazz players

When the people have finished prosecuting former Nazis for crimes against humanity I imagine they will catch up with all the Jazz players

Nordine is an outsider music legend and his Colours album rates as one of the most singular releases of the sixties. Trust me, man, he'll be spared when the naval-gazing noodlers get what's coming.
  • Like 1

I was watching an episode of Man in a Suitcase followed by an episode of Randall and Hopkirk (deceased)earlier today and coicidentally George. A. Cooper was in both. You may not know the name but those of us a ertain age will recognise him as Mr Griffiths in Grange Hill.

Googled him to check when he died and discovered he's still alive. He's another of those who has always looked old.

• Like 1

I was watching an episode of Man in a Suitcase followed by an episode of Randall and Hopkirk (deceased)earlier today and coicidentally George. A. Cooper was in both. You may not know the name but those of us a ertain age will recognise him as Mr Griffiths in Grange Hill.

Googled him to check when he died and discovered he's still alive. He's another of those who has always looked old.

He's in my DDP theme team "Nearer My God To Thee", featuring people who have been in films about the Titanic. None of whom have met their personal iceberg this year!

He was the purser on the Carpathia in 'A Night To Remember' (1958)

• Like 1

Was reading something about Marc Bolan today and a couple of Bolan related types - both obitable - are still breathing and very low profile. Bill Legend (drummer) is the only surviving member of the T.Rex line up that snagged three of their four #1 singles, and there is also Charlie Watkins (in his 90s but - apparently - still alive) who pioneered the iconic WEM amplifier which allowed the likes of T.Rex to take their music outdoors, and increase the size of their crowds.

Was reading something about Marc Bolan today and a couple of Bolan related types - both obitable - are still breathing and very low profile. Bill Legend (drummer) is the only surviving member of the T.Rex line up that snagged three of their four #1 singles, and there is also Charlie Watkins (in his 90s but - apparently - still alive) who pioneered the iconic WEM amplifier which allowed the likes of T.Rex to take their music outdoors, and increase the size of their crowds.

You're a few months too late I'm afraid. Watkins passed away in October.

http://www.ukaccordions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1588&Itemid=44

He's in my DDP theme team "Nearer My God To Thee", featuring people who have been in films about the Titanic.  None of whom have met their personal iceberg this year!

He was the purser on the Carpathia in 'A Night To Remember' (1958)

Yes, he's had rather a long a varied career, it's a shame he's probably best known to a lot of us from children's telly. I've had a look at your theme team, there a couple of cross overs with my Dial D for Deadpool Team, all of whom also survive.

• Like 1