Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

There's very little talk of Lyndon LaRouche on this forum, understandable being as, like most non-Americans, mine and probably everyone else's knowledge of the guy is "this mad old racist who turns up as an outsider figure in US politics every decade or so". Anyway, he turned 89 last month and white supremacists tend not to make it to their tenth decade.

Bernard Lovell

So old he was the inspiration for Quatermass, once got into an argument with a pal on live radio, and someone I keep thinking is long dead, even though he is alive, but frail, at 97.

Today, aged 97, Lovell is physically frail. His eyesight has almost gone, and he spends much of the day in an orthopaedic chair, with electronic controls. Yet his mind is as sharp as ever; his conversation is witty and charming; and his grasp of detail is nothing short of phenomenal.

He's the oldest living astronomer I believe. Assuming he doesnt pass away this year I'd be amazed if he wasn't on next years list'.

He still has the occassional pint with his old mate Patrick Moore apparantely

Surely this man must be a shoe-in for the 2013 list if he makes it that far. He will be 100 next year. He also shares my birthday. (Same day - not year!)

There's very little talk of Lyndon LaRouche on this forum, understandable being as, like most non-Americans, mine and probably everyone else's knowledge of the guy is "this mad old racist who turns up as an outsider figure in US politics every decade or so". Anyway, he turned 89 last month and white supremacists tend not to make it to their tenth decade.

He is expected to be 90 in less than a quarter year from now (Sept.8) and that is a birthdate known for longevity.

The late Frank Cady was 96 and Sid Caesar is born the same day as Lyndon and David O. McKay one time Pres. of the Mormons lasted to 96.

Leroy Nieman, one of the most famous artists from the U.S. of A., turned 91 this month. Considering that his most famous works are from the 50's and 60's, I just assumed he was already dead.

He is said to be in 'pretty good' health in the article, yet further research indicates that he had his leg amputated because of a vascular problem in 2010. A possible contender for DL 2013.

Leroy Nieman, one of the most famous artists from the U.S. of A., turned 91 this month. Considering that his most famous works are from the 50's and 60's, I just assumed he was already dead.

He is said to be in 'pretty good' health in the article, yet further research indicates that he had his leg amputated because of a vascular problem in 2010. A possible contender for DL 2013.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/story/2012-06-20/artist-leroy-neiman-dies-at-91/55724752/1

You might be wrong about his good health, considering he died mere hours after your post.

• Like 1

http://www.usatoday....t-91/55724752/1

You might be wrong about his good health, considering he died mere hours after your post.

Remember the time I said Leroy Nieman was in good health? Neither do I. I quoted the article, which I rebutted in the following sentence.

• Like 1

Read an article celebrating the 98th birthday of Irwin Corey- I would have guessed he died decades ago.

He can't have too much time left- and he's definitely famous enough to meet Deathlist obit criteria. Perhaps another candidate for DL2013 (Unless he dies 2 hours after this post like my previous recommendation)

Read an article celebrating the 98th birthday of Irwin Corey- I would have guessed he died decades ago.

He can't have too much time left- and he's definitely famous enough to meet Deathlist obit criteria. Perhaps another candidate for DL2013 (Unless he dies 2 hours after this post like my previous recommendation)

Maybe you have the Mdias touch when it comes to this you couldn't do margaret thatcher could you ? :D

• Like 2

Bernard Lovell

So old he was the inspiration for Quatermass, once got into an argument with a pal on live radio, and someone I keep thinking is long dead, even though he is alive, but frail, at 97.

Today, aged 97, Lovell is physically frail. His eyesight has almost gone, and he spends much of the day in an orthopaedic chair, with electronic controls. Yet his mind is as sharp as ever; his conversation is witty and charming; and his grasp of detail is nothing short of phenomenal.

The great man is no more

I just found out that Robert Guillome {Benson DuBois} was still alive, I thought he died, a few years ago. Also, the actor who played Geoffrey the Butler, on Fresh Prince, I thought he died, too. :/ But both of these "butlers" are still alive. {Now I know who to add to my list, next year. ;) }

I'd completely forgotten Glynis Johns had ever even existed let alone that she was still alive, until I wondered who was playing Diane's mum on Cheers.

Clifton James is still going at the ripe old age of 92. He is best known for playing Sheriff J.W Pepper in Live and Let Die .

I always thought he was a genuine redneck but he was actually born and bred in New York.

More FASSSSSSSSSSSSCINATING facts later,

LFN

Clucking bell!! Louis Jourdan is still alive, 92 I fink. Add Christopher Lee to the mix and it would seem being a James Bond villian is, for some, the Golden ticket to immortality or summat.

Guest Luc

Anywone know this guy, 86 years old and still going on,

Anywone know this guy, 86 years old and still going on,

He looks pretty healthy there, for his age anyway

Found out just now that the developer of the leprosy vaccine, Jacinto Convit, is still alive and working. 100 in September.

Research into the new masterpiece has turned me on to Creed Taylor. Surprisingly; considering I'm typing this whilst listening to his 1959 masterpiece Panic the man is still alive. He was already a significant player in the music business in the fifties - as in he conceived Shock (1958) and Panic (1959) - and went on to run his own label giving breaks to the likes of George Benson. Maybe, just obit-worthy even in this country

Although he isn't alive any more I received a shock in 2009 to learn that Godfrey Rampling, a gold medallist who competed in the 1932 & 1936 Olympics (The second time alongside Jesse Owens), was 100 years old and still alive a full 73 years after kicking nazi ass at sports.

Although he isn't alive any more I received a shock in 2009 to learn that Godfrey Rampling, a gold medallist who competed in the 1932 & 1936 Olympics (The second time alongside Jesse Owens), was 100 years old and still alive a full 73 years after kicking nazi ass at sports.

Yeah but he wasn't black so it wasn't quite as cool/funny as Owens doing it, was it?

Imagine if Mike Winters and Ernie Wise, partnerless and bored, had formed a double act. Man we'd have booed them off in favour of the Krankies.

Well St Peter gets to utter the famous line, "aw naw, there's two of them" as Mike joins Bernie

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/comedy-legend-mike-winters-died-2222447

• Like 1

Imagine if Mike Winters and Ernie Wise, partnerless and bored, had formed a double act. Man we'd have booed them off in favour of the Krankies.

Well St Peter gets to utter the famous line, "aw naw, there's two of them" as Mike joins Bernie

http://www.mirror.co...rs-died-2222447

Here's a little anecdote:

And while on the variety circuit, they played the notoriously tough Glasgow Empire, when Mike came out first, and did his shtick to utter silence. Then Bernie appeared, grinning, from behind the curtain. The only sound that could be heard was a despairing voice from the auditorium: ‘Fuck me, there’s two of them.’

• Like 2

http://www.mirror.co...rs-died-2222447

Here's a little anecdote:

And while on the variety circuit, they played the notoriously tough Glasgow Empire, when Mike came out first, and did his shtick to utter silence. Then Bernie appeared, grinning, from behind the curtain. The only sound that could be heard was a despairing voice from the auditorium: ‘Fuck me, there’s two of them.’

That little anecdote is the most hilarious thing I've heard in yonks!

I am pissing myself laughing at the thought of Bernie entering the stage with his massive chubby grin and the Glaswegian being devastated to find a second talentless gimp on the stage.

Guest roger brookens

I remember both Pearl & Teddy, having met them both late 60's they stayed at our house in Glasgow I was happy and delighted to find they are both alive and well, do they still live in Barnes?

Regards

Roger

r.brookens@yahoo.co.uk