Godot

Mollie Sugden et al

The subtitle of this thread is forgotton sitcoms memorial thread but to be fair most of the one we talk about are well remembered and in some cases well loved.

There are a host however of shows so lame that they have rightly been forgotton.

Does anyone remember Trouble and Strife (there is no Wikipedia entry for this sitcom) from the mid eighties shown on ITV. The premise was concerning a church group of Young Wives who all were smitten with the new 'dishy' vicar (Steven Pacey)? The cast included Annette Badlands as someone fat and Anna Karen (On The Buses) as the grouchy church caretaker.

Other forgotton sitcoms could inlcude Lamb of God - Richard Briers was a vicar (oh how we laughed) - The only thing I remember about this show is the title and I might be imagining that.

All at No 20 - Widowed Maureen Lipman has to take in lodgers to save her house (featured an early acting appearance from the now RSC artistic director Gregory Doran.

Roll Over Beethoven - Fading rock star (Nigel Planer) falls for prudish music teacher (Liza Goddard) to the chagrin of her father (Richard Vernon)

Not with a Bang - Josie Lawrence and Mike Grady survive the end of the world (caused by Judith Hann)

The subtitle of this thread is forgotton sitcoms memorial thread but to be fair most of the one we talk about are well remembered and in some cases well loved.

There are a host however of shows so lame that they have rightly been forgotton.

Does anyone remember Trouble and Strife (there is no Wikipedia entry for this sitcom) from the mid eighties shown on ITV. The premise was concerning a church group of Young Wives who all were smitten with the new 'dishy' vicar (Steven Pacey)? The cast included Annette Badlands as someone fat and Anna Karen (On The Buses) as the grouchy church caretaker.

Other forgotton sitcoms could inlcude Lamb of God - Richard Briers was a vicar (oh how we laughed) - The only thing I remember about this show is the title and I might be imagining that.

All at No 20 - Widowed Maureen Lipman has to take in lodgers to save her house (featured an early acting appearance from the now RSC artistic director Gregory Doran.

Roll Over Beethoven - Fading rock star (Nigel Planer) falls for prudish music teacher (Liza Goddard) to the chagrin of her father (Richard Vernon)

Not with a Bang - Josie Lawrence and Mike Grady survive the end of the world (caused by Judith Hann)

I don't remember any of those. Reference to IMDb reveals a sitcom called All In Good Faith, starring Richard Briers as a Reverend Philip Lambe which could be what you're thinking of. Ran for three series in the 80s.

Does anyone remember Frank Skinner's foray into sitcomland with Blue Heaven and Shane? The former is apparently available on demand from 4oD; might have to revisit that.

I don't remember any of those. Reference to IMDb reveals a sitcom called All In Good Faith, starring Richard Briers as a Reverend Philip Lambe which could be what you're thinking of. Ran for three series in the 80s.

Does anyone remember Frank Skinner's foray into sitcomland with Blue Heaven and Shane? The former is apparently available on demand from 4oD; might have to revisit that.

Yes that must be what I was thinking. Maybe I thought my title was better.

Jim Davison was briefly in a sitcom. He used to stand outside his door and he broke the fourth wall. Elephant & Castle?

Yes that must be what I was thinking. Maybe I thought my title was better.

Jim Davison was briefly in a sitcom. He used to stand outside his door and he broke the fourth wall. Elephant & Castle?

Up the Elephant & Round the Castle; ran for three series and spawned a sequel, Home James!, which ran for four.

So not brief enough.

• Like 1

Comedy is a very personal thing and as it has been shown my memory junks series that actually were sufficiently popular to run for several series.

I absolutely hate Birds of a Feather and Goodnight Sweetheart but recognise that they were popular a less familiar one from the same stable was Holding The Fort - Patricia Hodge plays a new mother with a career in the military so she returns to work and leaves her good natured husband (Peter Davison) at home to look after their child where his disreputable pal/lodger Fitz (Matthew Kelly) cuases tension.

This was shown (on ITV) at the time when Peter Davison managed to clock up a TV appearance every day of the week split between this, Doctor Who, Sink or Swim and ACGAS.

In the early days of Channel 4 they experimented with quite a few comedies some of which only ran for one series. Hits included Fairly Secret Army, Chelmsford 123, A Fine Romance and my own favorite The Big One but there were others like Marjorie and Men which featured Patricia Routledge as a spinster living with her cantankerous mother (Patricia Yates) looking for love.

Comedy is a very personal thing and as it has been shown my memory junks series that actually were sufficiently popular to run for several series.

I absolutely hate Birds of a Feather and Goodnight Sweetheart but recognise that they were popular a less familiar one from the same stable was Holding The Fort - Patricia Hodge plays a new mother with a career in the military so she returns to work and leaves her good natured husband (Peter Davison) at home to look after their child where his disreputable pal/lodger Fitz (Matthew Kelly) cuases tension.

This was shown (on ITV) at the time when Peter Davison managed to clock up a TV appearance every day of the week split between this, Doctor Who, Sink or Swim and ACGAS.

In the early days of Channel 4 they experimented with quite a few comedies some of which only ran for one series. Hits included Fairly Secret Army, Chelmsford 123, A Fine Romance and my own favorite The Big One but there were others like Marjorie and Men which featured Patricia Routledge as a spinster living with her cantankerous mother (Patricia Yates) looking for love.

Was there only one series of A Fine Romance? That always seemed to be bloody on.

Most of the ones you mention were just too cliché-ridden to attract my attention, but I did like Birds Of A Feather because it had some witty writing and LOL lines.

Sharon talking about a new tapas bar, or "tap-arse" as she pronounces it.

Dorian: It's tap-ATH, Sharon. Tap-ATH!

Sharon: Oh, ith IT?

Well, it still makes me laugh anyway.

Fondly remembered from when I were a lad. Get Some In, with Tony Selby on a RAF base. Quite non-PC, all available on Youtube.

I've decided I can cobble together a theme team from this and The Ghosts of Motley Hall, called Get Some In at Motley Hall.

I remember Trouble and Strife and Not with a Bang but not the others. Does anyone remember My Dead Dad on Channel 4 in the mid 90s. I really wanted to like it but it was shit.

• Like 2

Fondly remembered from when I were a lad. Get Some In, with Tony Selby on a RAF base. Quite non-PC, all available on Youtube.

I've decided I can cobble together a theme team from this and The Ghosts of Motley Hall, called Get Some In at Motley Hall.

Get Some In also had Robert Lyndsay in it, which I think predated Citizen Smith by a few years.

I actually remember watching the very first episode of Get Some In, like it was yesterday or summat.

'My Name is Marsh, Corporal Marsh!! B A S T A R D Marsh!!

They were the days.

• Like 2

Was there only one series of A Fine Romance? That always seemed to be bloody on.

Most of the ones you mention were just too cliché-ridden to attract my attention, but I did like Birds Of A Feather because it had some witty writing and LOL lines.

A Fine Romance did run for Four Series (I did say some).

My problem with Birds of a Feather was that the whole thing seemed to be carried by Lesley Joseph. Linda Robson had no sense of comic timing and it really, really irritated me.

A Fine Romance did run for Four Series (I did say some).

My problem with Birds of a Feather was that the whole thing seemed to be carried by Lesley Joseph. Linda Robson had no sense of comic timing and it really, really irritated me.

Birds of a Feather may well have been the funniest, wittiest sitcom ever penned*, but all three leads really irritated me; consequently, I tended to turn off whenever they started speaking.

*It probably wasn't, seeing as how it was written by Laurie & Morrie.

• Like 1

Has there ever been a funny sitcom with a fat bird in it?

Roseanne doesn't count as it wasn't her that was funny.

Hmm, good question, I don't think there has, Murder Most Horrid is the nearest I can think but they were little comedy plays rather than a sitcom. Was Kirsty Alley fat towards the end of Cheers, I can't remember.

Stretching it a bit but League of Gentleman had men dressed as fat women and that was funny and I find M*A*S*H funny and Nurse Kelleye was fat though she was an extra really.

Sykes?

• Like 3

Yes , she bulked up iimr. But was it 'funny' at that point?

Nurse Gladys in Open All Hours may count, but again she wasn't the funny shtik.

Sykes?

Winner.

• Like 1

The Vicar of Dibley?

Eh,

No

You probably didn't get it over there (you were lucky if true) but a tenuous name I'll throw is the Drew Carey Show. The main gal was decent looking enough, but the sarcastic female foil to Carey at his office work environment was a hefty one to say the least. Whether she or the show was 'funny' I leave to the critics or individuals.

SC

The Vicar of Dibley?

For this scene alone

:lol::lol::lol:

Aside: has anyone noticed recently just how bad the BBC are at reporting the deaths of their own stars/presenters? Gerald Sim, Pamela Cundell and now Tom Coyne all without so much as a mention. Yet they will repeat the shows and have talking heads talking about the days of yore....never really noticed until I started on here.

• Like 1

Aside: has anyone noticed recently just how bad the BBC are at reporting the deaths of their own stars/presenters? Gerald Sim, Pamela Cundell and now Tom Coyne all without so much as a mention. Yet they will repeat the shows and have talking heads talking about the days of yore....never really noticed until I started on here.

To be fair it is not just the BBC.

Jeffrey Segal is missing everywhere.

• Like 1

Yup.

You'd think they didn't want people to know that once upon a time the BBC produced programs you actually wanted to watch with presenters who could present and actors who could actually act. At this rate David Dimbleby won't even make the Six 'o' Clock news, I mean there already prevent him from presenting half of this years general election and completely shifting him out of the next one and the dudes only 76. You'd think they would find someone better to replace him but instead we have to suffer through Huw Edwards this year and next election.

Huw Fuuuuckkkkkkingggg!!!!!!! Edwards!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

To be fair it is not just the BBC.

Jeffrey Segal is missing everywhere.

As is Stanley Lebor.

• Like 1

Warren Mitchell's great nephew reporting on Twitter that he's died. I can't link cos I'm in bed on the mobile and don't know how.

Warren Mitchell's great nephew reporting on Twitter that he's died. I can't link cos I'm in bed on the mobile and don't know how.

press the search bar at the top of the screen then you press copy when it appears then you whike you are typing you press the area you are typing until past appears and then you click paste and the link should appear.

Nowt (yet) on the news sources where you'd expect it to appear, give it an hour.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/warren-mitchell-dead-alf-garnett-6831178