maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

He got a New York Times breaking email, which tends to be for less than 20 deaths a year.

• Like 3

Has anyone checked in on Bonnie Tyler recently?

21 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Has anyone checked in on Bonnie Tyler recently?

This insta post, I guess is from this 10 August or not?

And who could forget this song...

Legend.

• Like 2

It's been a tough time for Millennials. First DJ Casper, now the lead singer of Smash Mouth. Two staples of young pop of the era.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

"Dream Weaver" hitmaker (and original Spooky Tooth keyboardist, 60s freaks) Gary Wright has died, according to singer Stephen Bishop on Twitter. No official reports yet.

I'm using that famous news outlet ghsplash  [insert shrug emoje here as there isn't one available]

https://www.ghsplash.com/gary-wright-passes-away-american-musician-and-composer-of-dream-weaver/

This has inspired me to go back and watch Waynes World

1 hour ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

"Dream Weaver" hitmaker (and original Spooky Tooth keyboardist, 60s freaks) Gary Wright has died, according to singer Stephen Bishop on Twitter. No official reports yet.

Another one of my tangents here but...Wright wrote the song that - when covered by Judas Priest - became central to a legal case in which Priest were accused of being responsible for a suicide pact that cost two fans their lives: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_by_You,_Better_than_Me

1 hour ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Bishop's still breathing, then!

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

Bishop's still breathing, then!

He's going "On and On". LOL

On 21/01/2022 at 20:44, msc said:

Dead folk taken out, including the one person who actually died in the 1970s. My bad! It now goes up to 1961 (so folk 60+) and I've used your lists and Top of the Pops to expand the 1950s section which was a bit thin on the ground. Not every singer/band here as that'd be a list of half a million living folk. If yer favourites are missing, its a personal slight, of course. Ahem. As the last list missed Sparks, I can't promise there isn't some obvious missing name...

-          1940: Tom Jones, Ringo Starr, Brian Priestley, Cliff Richard, Roger Cook, Pete Brown, Jimmy Merchant (Teenagers), Smokey Robinson, Phil Lesh, Herbie Hancock, Giorgio Moroder, Toni Tennille, Nancy Sinatra, Bill Medley, Larry Chance, Dionne Warwick, Jorma Kaukonen (Jefferson), Frankie Avalon ,Anita Bryant, Eden Kane, Maureen Evans, Athol Guy, Andy Cameron, Candi Staton, Joe Fagin

Larry Chance of doo-wop band The Earls also reportedly dead from the above list: 

Of course I remember then the Showaddywaddy version of this:

• Like 3

Our favorite drummer chimed in as well.

• Like 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2023/09/13/peso-pluma-tijuana-concert-threat/70840009007/

Drug cartel threatens to murder Tijuana singer Peso Pluma if he performs at a concert in Tijuana. He is 24.

"This goes to Peso Pluma, refrain from presenting yourself on October 14 because it will be your last show due to your disrespect and loose tongue, you show up and we are going to (break you)," the banner said.

He records the narcocorrido music genre, which has ballads about drug smuggling. Between 2006-2008, over a dozen narcocorrido musicians have been murdered by the cartels.

Peso Pluma performed for the MTV Video Music Awards yesterday, and has postponed a number of shows since receiving the threat.

• Like 1

Andrés Val, the "singer" in the amazingly awful song Chacarron, dead at 47 from a heart attack. Song peaked at 20 in the UK charts.

• Like 7
  • Shocked 1

Irish Grinstead from the girl group 702 died at age 43.

It was announced in December 2022 that she was taking a step back for severe medical issues.

Identical twin sister Orish passed away in 2008 at 27 of kidney failure.
Older sister LaMisha posted the news on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CxRsLNWsB3x/?ref=AuRMtgCxzUDtk

702 had the hit single "Where My Girls At" in 1999 which peaked at #4 on the Billboard Top 100.

• Like 2