maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

26 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Allman Brothers Band guitarist, Dickey Betts, dead at 80.

Dickey Betts, DDP pick and QO'd

1 hour ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Allman Brothers Band guitarist, Dickey Betts, dead at 80.

Jai Johanny Johanson is now the last surviving original member of the band.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Jai Johanny Johanson is now the last surviving original member of the band.

A candidate for nex year's list of last ones.

TC Matic guitarist Jean Marie Aerts dead. Pretty big name in the low Countries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FinalChapter said:

Dead on Wiki too - which helpfully has a list of his songs as recorded by the Moodies, that'll make it easier for any cult radio show that just happens to have an annual List of the Lost edition on the first weekend of the New Year!

1 hour ago, Redrumours said:

All sadly gone now. R.I.P.

I would argue that in the case of the Moody Blues, the original lineup doesn't really matter as much as it's not its iconic lineup (unlike say The Allman Brothers Band).

Denny Laine (guitar) and Clint Warwick (bass) were only there for little over 2 years (May 1964 – July 1966). Justin Hayward and John Lodge replaced them that year and remained with the group until it dissolved in 2018. They're both still alive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I would argue that in the case of the Moody Blues, the original lineup doesn't really matter as much as it's not its iconic lineup (unlike say The Allman Brothers Band).

Denny Laine (guitar) and Clint Warwick (bass) were only there for little over 2 years (May 1964 – July 1966). Justin Hayward and John Lodge replaced them that year and remained with the group until it dissolved in 2018. They're both still alive.

I was just referring to their original lineup and their hit "Go Now".

8 hours ago, FinalChapter said:

Mike Pinder's death now being picked up by mainstream publications: https://www.nme.com/news/music/moody-blues-founder-mike-pinder-dies-age-82-3750634

• Like 1

The Moody Blues were really two bands - the mid-60s pop band (who made their best-ever record, "Go Now"), and then the symphonic/progressive rockers of "Days Of Future Passed" onwards. The first of those bands is gone now (!) but Justin Hayward and John Lodge could still do a tour as Blue Jays.

Interesting to see that Patrick Moraz was sacked and then retrospectively cancelled as ever having been an official member, after being with them for about ten years. He could well end up being their last survivor.

• Like 1

Completely forgot they appeared on The Simpsons in 1999. Not 100% of who the four are below but I'm going to guess Hayward, Lodge, Edge and Thomas.

1 hour ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

their best-ever record, "Go Now"

:referee:

Great, but my personal favourite is Nights in White Satin, which was a Hayward composition.

• Like 3

As usual, interesting conversation occurs on my home Deadpool rather than anything here…

—‘Wow, all five original members of the Moody Blues are gone. Pinder was the last of the group's original five members.’

—‘That leaves how many people who have ever seen a mellotron?  Fripp is about it.’
—-a song offered to the group by Paul McCartney, but in the end decided the tune wasn’t right for the Moodys. Instead, Mary Hopkin recorded the song, “Those Were the Days,” and scored a worldwide smash hit.’

—“That’s amazing trivia.  Can you imagine the path they would have taken if they sang Those Were the Days?”

—‘Check this out...  "On Christmas 1969, the President of Equatorial Guinea, Francisco Macías Nguema, had 150 alleged coup plotters executed in the national stadium while the amplifier system played the Mary Hopkin recording of "Those Were the Days"."

—‘Never mind the fact that the litany of hits written by Sir Paul now includes this song.  Who knew?’

—‘Death was imperative when he sang his version of Go Now.’

—‘Needless to say they’ll likely be on tour next summer.’

Deathlist used to have actual conversations like this but those days are long gone. RIP to Deathlist.

SC

• Facepalm 7

15 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

As usual, interesting conversation occurs on my home Deadpool rather than anything here…

—‘Wow, all five original members of the Moody Blues are gone. Pinder was the last of the group's original five members.’

—‘That leaves how many people who have ever seen a mellotron?  Fripp is about it.’
—-a song offered to the group by Paul McCartney, but in the end decided the tune wasn’t right for the Moodys. Instead, Mary Hopkin recorded the song, “Those Were the Days,” and scored a worldwide smash hit.’

—“That’s amazing trivia.  Can you imagine the path they would have taken if they sang Those Were the Days?”

—‘Check this out...  "On Christmas 1969, the President of Equatorial Guinea, Francisco Macías Nguema, had 150 alleged coup plotters executed in the national stadium while the amplifier system played the Mary Hopkin recording of "Those Were the Days"."

—‘Never mind the fact that the litany of hits written by Sir Paul now includes this song.  Who knew?’

—‘Death was imperative when he sang his version of Go Now.’

—‘Needless to say they’ll likely be on tour next summer.’

Deathlist used to have actual conversations like this but those days are long gone. RIP to Deathlist.

SC

You care so little of this forum that you actually spent a good few minutes typing all that out (even though none of us will read beyond the first 2 lines cos it's boring AF).

I've said it before and I'll say it again – if you don't like it here then bugger off somewhere else.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JonNgoat said:

Lloyd Cole is cancelling tour dates and taking time away due to an undisclosed “virus” which is “now affecting his mental health”.

https://x.com/lloyd_cole/status/1784008843556491300?s=46&t=8wIlQ43b9SxaQrrsf4MLtA

Here's my "statement" sounds a bit portentous - he could have just said: "this is what's going on"

Aye, good spot - might keep an eye on this one.

51 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

he could have just said: "this is what's going on"

Perhaps he doesn't want to cause a commotion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Robin George, guitarist with one entry in the singles and album charts apiece but well known collaborator, touring with rock band Magnum and Robert Plant for example, reportedly dead: 

Reached #68 in April 1985 with Heartline:

• Like 1