maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Indeed  you are correct she did in 2006 aged 52.

Wow. That young?

On 09/06/2020 at 22:49, SwiftlyVague said:

Paul "Tonka" Chapman,  guitarist for UFO and Lone Star, being reported dead on twitter. Today was his 66th birthday. :(

LMAO of all the 1000s of photos that must have been taken of the guitarist for UFO, and THIS is the one they choose.  Brilliant!

So, as mentioned occasionally before, Ulitzer's UK charts project sparked me to explore the 50s and beyond of the US Billboard charts and now I've listened to nearly everything that marked the Billboard charts between 1955 and 1959. Maybe a dozen songs were not on YouTube. While I won't be doing anything nearly as comprehensive as Ulitzer's project I thought I'd compile a list of living performers from the era. Not every last living name is here; ie there are some groups with multiple living members that I only list the frontman for. If they charted as part of a band, the band is included in parentheses regardless of whether or not the artist would become better known under a different band name (the living Four Seasons and Simon & Garfunkel are prime examples).

1922 - Ray Anthony

1924 - Jane Morgan

1925 - Bill Hayes

1926 - Tony Bennett

1927 - Dick Hyman, Ed Ames (The Ames Brothers), Harry Belafonte, Teddie Chinery (The Beverley Sisters), Sunny Gale, Mindy Carson, Carol Buschmann (The Chordettes)

1928 - Tommy DeVito (The Four Lovers), Betty Madigan

1929 - Jane Powell, Leroy Van Dyke, April Stevens, Betty Johnson, Margie Needham (The Chordettes), Mitchell Torok

1930 - Peggy King, Joni James, Chris Barber, Chic Hetti (The Playmates)

1931 - Phyllis McGuire (The McGuire Sisters), Jaye P. Morgan, Caterina Valente, John Perkins (The Crew Cuts), Bernie Toorish (The Four Lads), Robert Gordy

1932 - Stonewall Jackson, Ray Perkins (The Crew Cuts), Leon Hughes (The Coasters), Gerry Granahan (Dicky Doo & the Don'ts), Dick Flood

1933 - Lloyd Price, Jimmie Rodgers, Wink Martindale

1934 - Pat Boone, Joey Ambrose (Bill Haley and His Comets), Frankie Valli (The Four Lovers), Chas McDevitt, Huey "Piano" Smith, Dave Burgess (The Champs), Alan Arkin (The Tarriers), Mary Lou Shepherd (The Shepherd Sisters)

1935 - Sanford Clark, Steve Lawrence, Johnny Mathis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ronnie Hawkins, Jill Corey, Nick Todd, Bobby Bare

1936 - Charlie Gracie, Freddy Cannon, James Darren, Fred Parris (The Five Satins), Otis Williams (The Charms, NOT the Temptations member), Valerie Carr, Tony Dallara, Tony Bellus

1937 - Tommy Sands, Don Everly (The Everly Brothers), Jerry Allison (The Crickets), Charlie Thomas (The Drifters), Santo Farina (Santo & Johnny), Clarence "Frogman" Henry, Joe Rivers (Johnnie & Joe), Phil Cracolici (The Mystics), Jerry Keller

1938 - Connie Francis, Duane Eddy, Jimmy Clanton, Connie Stevens, Johnny Tillotson, Jerry Fuller, Sandy Nelson, Terry "Buzzy" Johnson (The Flamingos), Bobby Hendricks (The Drifters), Kathy Linden, Charles Patrick (The Monotones), Jesse Lee Turner, Dave "Baby" Cortez, Paul Evans

1939 - Dion DiMucci (Dion and the Belmonts), Phil Spector (The Teddy Bears), Neil Sedaka, Rudolph Isley (The Isley Brothers), Billy "Crash" Craddock, Tommy Facenda, Dianne Lennon (The Lennon Sisters), Frank Maffei (Danny & the Juniors), Beverly Ross (Ronald & Ruby), Warren Davis (The Monotones), Gary Troxel (The Fleetwoods)

1940 - Carol Connors (The Teddy Bears), Frankie Avalon, Johnny Nash, Anita Bryant, Dean Torrence (Jan and Dean), Cliff Richard (Cliff Richard and the Shadows), Smokey Robinson (The Miracles), Priscilla Wright, Jimmy Merchant (The Teenagers), Lillie Bryant (Billy & Lillie), Gary Stites

1941 - Herman Santiago (The Teenagers), Paul Anka, Paul Simon (Tom & Jerry), Art Garfunkel (Tom & Jerry), Little Anthony (The Imperials), Chubby Checker, Johnny Farina (Santo & Johnny), Ronald Isley (The Isley Brothers), Shirley Owens (The Shirelles), Beverly Lee (The Shirelles), Hank Marvin (Cliff Richard and the Shadows), Bruce Welch (Cliff Richard and the Shadows), Vito Picone (The Elegants), Arlene Smith (The Chantels), Peggy Lennon (The Lennon Sisters), Joy Layne

1942 - Bob Gaudio (The Royal Teens), Bobby Rydell, Claudette Rogers Robinson (The Miracles), Patience McIntyre (Patience and Prudence), Emma Pought (The Bobbettes), Robin Luke, Carl Mann

1943 - Fabian Forte, Leslie Uggams, Kathy Lennon (The Lennon Sisters)

1944 - Brenda Lee, Laurie London

1945 - Prudence McIntyre (Patience and Prudence)

1946 - Janet Lennon (The Lennon Sisters), Dodie Stevens, Robert John

1948 - Barry Gordon

• Like 6

Any of our American friends advise which member of The Tornadoes has died? https://www.redlandscommunitynews.com/news/founding-member-of-the-tornadoes-surf-band-dies/article_e5da389a-b6f6-11ea-937a-9f0c7356fc7e.html

Can't read due to GDPR.

Not the British band, so no hits in the UK, but Bustin' Surfboards was on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Any of our American friends advise which member of The Tornadoes has died? https://www.redlandscommunitynews.com/news/founding-member-of-the-tornadoes-surf-band-dies/article_e5da389a-b6f6-11ea-937a-9f0c7356fc7e.html

Can't read due to GDPR.

Not the British band, so no hits in the UK, but Bustin' Surfboards was on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack:

The Tornado who died is Jesse Sanders.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

The Tornado who died is Jesse Sanders.

Cheers!

Graeme Williamson —a co-founder and frontman of Toronto band Pukka Orchestra — has died. The group confirmed Williamson's passing on Facebook, writing that he died in Glasgow, Scotland, with his wife Iris at his side.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Graeme Williamson —a co-founder and frontman of Toronto band Pukka Orchestra — has died. The group confirmed Williamson's passing on Facebook, writing that he died in Glasgow, Scotland, with his wife Iris at his side.

Pukka Orchestra's take on the Tom Robinson song Listen to the Radio, which proved to be their biggest hit. Williamson had health problems going back to the 1980s.

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 16:06, Spade_Cooley said:

Steve Martin Caro, frontman of baroque pop behemoths The Left Banke, has walked away, sans Renee, aged 71.

Tom Finn, the last original member of The Left Banke and the last to appear on Walk Away Renee, reportedly dead: https://bestclassicbands.com/tom-finn-left-banke-walk-away-renee-members-6-28-20/

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Bit of off the record news I've kept quiet for a few weeks till the source doesn't twig the forum got it from me. Jet Black of The Stranglers apparently suffered a major stroke towards the end of last year and is now very frail. My source is one of his mutual friends who mentioned it when Dave Greenfield died.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 2

On 17/02/2019 at 18:13, msc said:

It's been a while since there was a stupidly long list of aging folk. So here is an extended version of that music one, up to 1958, as musicians keep dying in their 60s of late. All genres, put here after Admin Advice. Every single name will QO as and when, and I expect a good... 50% at least to be deadpool fodder within the next 5 years or so.

(It ain't an all-encompassing list because duh, that'd be 20, 000 odd names!)

-          1914: Eleanor Sokoloff

Eleanor Sokoloff prematurely dead at 106.

• Like 2

Ken Chinn, punk rock singer also known as Mr Chi Pig is dead at 57

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Emitt Rhodes, a singer-songwriter and former lead singer of The Merry-Go-Round, has died. He was 70.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/emitt-rhodes-rip/

Highly underrated Beatlesque songwriter, RIP sir. Will post a youtube in the songwriters thread - Emitt was the anithesis of a pop star tbh.

• Like 1

Joseph B. Jefferson, founder of the Nat Turner Rebellion in the late 1960s, has died. He was 77. Jefferson later went on to co-write 1970s hits for the Spinners, notably their #5 U.S. single "They Just Can't Stop It" The (Games People Play)  

https://www.inquirer.com/news/obituary-joseph-b-jefferson-nat-turner-rebellion-spinners-philadelphia-20200727.html?utm_source=t.co&cid=Daily+News+Twitter+Account&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Daily+News+Twitter+Account

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Did the vocals for my favourite Primal Scream track, many happy memories from Aberystwyth Uni back in 1998 when this was a regular on my stereo and I had a reputation for being 'Mr Indie'. Never quite converted the unwashed masses at IndieSoc to it though. Unlike Northside :lol:

56, jesus that's no age now is it.

• Like 1