maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

If Mike Leander had been in Dusseldorf he might have joined Neu...

But he couldn't have got just anybody for a frontman. It needed someone grotesque, vocally and visually.* Julie Burchill once wrote that in 1972 Gary Glitter was the nearest thing to Iggy Pop that a 12-year-old girl could encounter, and she had a point.

(*And personally, I suppose. If he hadn't been a kiddie-fiddler he probably would have been raving queer, and in that case he'd very likely have a knighthood today.)

15 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

If Mike Leander had been in Dusseldorf he might have joined Neu...

But he couldn't have got just anybody for a frontman. It needed someone grotesque, vocally and visually.* Julie Burchill once wrote that in 1972 Gary Glitter was the nearest thing to Iggy Pop that a 12-year-old girl could encounter, and she had a point.

(*And personally, I suppose. If he hadn't been a kiddie-fiddler he probably would have been raving queer, and in that case he'd very likely have a knighthood today.)

Well...

A year and a bit after GG stormed the charts another forgotten vocalist (Shane Fenton) chanced his career again and became Alvin Stardust - managed an entire seventies career without noncing, being gay or even being mildly objectionable as a person. 

It's possible, just sayin':D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Well...

A year and a bit after GG stormed the charts another forgotten vocalist (Shane Fenton) chanced his career again and became Alvin Stardust - managed an entire seventies career without noncing, being gay or even being mildly objectionable as a person. 

It's possible, just sayin':D

You sure about all that?

Pat Huntrods, aka Pat Fish aka The Jazz Butcher, indie popster of the 1980s mostly, reportedly dead: 

Worked with folk from The Woodentops and Bauhaus in his time. Apparently his death was also announced on Facebook by co-founder Max Eider.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

But he couldn't have got just anybody for a frontman. It needed someone grotesque, vocally and visually.

Why?

44 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

A female friend of Alvin Stardust alleged that he'd once trussed her up, had his way, and then gone off to dinner without bothering to untie her.

My mum was friends with Alvin Stardust. 

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:
2 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

A female friend of Alvin Stardust alleged that he'd once trussed her up, had his way, and then gone off to dinner without bothering to untie her.

My mum was friends with Alvin Stardust. 

That explains a lot.

20 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Have you ever listened to a Gary Glitter single?

Yes, of course.  I was a teenager when they came out.  That doesn't answer my question.

17 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Have you ever listened to a Gary Glitter single?

Hell yeah, bangin' tunes - sound great turned up. 

Tends to me in the car when there's nobody else with me these days. 

• Like 2

Deon Estus, US born bassist who played with Wham! and thereafter George Michael, reportedly dead aged 65: 

He hit #7 in August 1987 on the UK Charts as a member of Boogie Box High with their cover of Jive Talkin'.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Deon Estus, US born bassist who played with Wham! and thereafter George Michael, reportedly dead aged 65: 

He hit #7 in August 1987 on the UK Charts as a member of Boogie Box High with their cover of Jive Talkin'.

As a solo artist, Deon Estus had a U.S. #5 hit in 1989 called 'Heaven Help Me', fully credited as Deon Estus with George Michael.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

RnB singer Emani 22 dead at... 22 ! Odd choice of name, could have gone in the moniker thread

Linky no worky....

Here's Billboard.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2021 at 17:06, Lafaucheuse said:

RnB singer Emani 22 dead at... 22 ! Odd choice of name, could have gone in the moniker thread

22 year olds don’t just die, so I’ll assume this was a suicide.  Her manager said ‘she lit up the room when she entered’ so I’ll assume she electrocuted herself.

SC

I'm going to add that someone on the DDP picked Robin McNamara.

(I'll await news that his death was a hoax by said team...) :lol:

It does seem fairly reliable though, which is why I posted it. QO chances? Hmmm....for someone who never had a hit in the UK? :sherlock:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Robin McNamara, a US one hit wonder with Lay A Little Lovin' On Me, reportedly dead aged 74:

His website gives me a headache. It was still being updated in 2017 too... some people just can't "Internet".

Jay Black of Jay and the Americans dead at 82

• Like 3

OK he is not remotely dead or ill but I have just seen a clip on Twitter of former Undertones front man Fergal Sharkey being interviews on Telly because he now campaigns on clean rivers

It took me two glances to work out it was him. He looked like a cross between Ray Reardon and a spoof Landowner in a Harry Enfield sketch he was even wearing a three piece tweed suit.

It is a long way from anoraks and Teenage Kicks

• Like 4
  • Haha 1