maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

3 hours ago, msc said:

Andy Rourke of The Smiths dead. Pancreatic cancer.

Guardian obit

Given the speed of a fully-formed obit being published for a 59 year old man, it looks like someone at the Graun was properly ITK.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Imelda said:

Given the speed of a fully-formed obit being published for a 59 year old man, it looks like someone at the Graun was properly ITK.

That's not a full Guardian obit. That's one of their news pieces.

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

That's not a full Guardian obit. That's one of their news pieces.

I bow to your superior knowledge. Either way, it got knocked-out pretty quickly.

3 minutes ago, Imelda said:

I bow to your superior knowledge. Either way, it got knocked-out pretty quickly.

Sort of.

News of his death was made public around 6am. The time stamp on that Guardian article is 7.50am, plus it's now 11.15am so they've had over 5 hours to build up what is now about a dozen medium sized paragraphs. I could do that (and I'm not a journo... well kind of not/kind of am).

33 minutes ago, Imelda said:

If you look at my youtube post few up.. from last Oct he looked gravely thin/frail.  Bit like Bowie I guess it was just kept on the low. 

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Sort of.

News of his death was made public around 6am. The time stamp on that Guardian article is 7.50am, plus it's now 11.15am so they've had over 5 hours to build up what is now about a dozen medium sized paragraphs. I could do that (and I'm not a journo... well kind of not/kind of am).

Plus they seem to have got the news from social media.

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Totally disagree with the overrated bit and they were a force of nature live because of the way they bonded with crowds. Any real assessment of why they mattered goes beyond the music to the fact they were a strident voice (and not just Morrissey) when Thatcher ruled apparently unchallenged and unstoppable and - though it's highly subjective - they were as funny as fuck, though it's a kind of grim northern funny that underpins shows like Shameless. Think I've mentioned this before but I'd say the South Bank Show nailed something vital about The Smiths when one of the first clips they showed in the show on the band was George Formby in action.

I remember watching a video retrospective of the Eighties shown in New Year 1990 and they asked music journalists to nominate the most influential and most overrated acts of the decade. Only The Smiths appeared in the top five of both lists. Which I think sums them up pretty well.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I remember watching a video retrospective of the Eighties shown in New Year 1990 and they asked music journalists to nominate the most influential and most overrated acts of the decade. Only The Smiths appeared in the top five of both lists. Which I think sums them up pretty well.

Yeah, that's probably a result some of the band would like. John Peel said that he liked it when people told him his shows included the best and worst things they'd heard for ages and then different people named the same records in both categories. 

I’m just catching up with this shite news.  I met him in a club (along w Johnny Marr). Decent chap. It’s always the bassist that dies first.  RIP

13 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

It’s always the bassist that dies first.  RIP

Well, Beatles, Stones, Who, Duran Duran... nope can't think of any. Sting is still alive too.

The only one I can think of is Elton John's backing band.

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

Well, Beatles, Stones, Who, Duran Duran... nope can't think of any. Sting is still alive too.

oKKXyT1y-1920'jpg.jpg

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Sting is still alive too.

Arguably Sting has transcended the definition over the past 20 years or so... His Broadway musical is amazing, but sadly flopped.

I have updated a list that was started by msc on 21/01/2022 of all the key music folk who have died over the last 16 months. It is on page 207 of this thread. If I have missed anyone which I am sure I have please let me know. I have written in brackets (DEAD) against the relevant artist, hardly a piece of fine art work I know but the best I can do with the limited resources I have currently. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Both it and the Doctor Who list will be updated later in the year.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2022 at 21:44, msc said:

Dead folk taken out, including the one person who actually died in the 1970s. My bad! It now goes up to 1961 (so folk 60+) and I've used your lists and Top of the Pops to expand the 1950s section which was a bit thin on the ground. Not every singer/band here as that'd be a list of half a million living folk. If yer favourites are missing, its a personal slight, of course. Ahem. As the last list missed Sparks, I can't promise there isn't some obvious missing name...

-          1940: Tom Jones, Ringo Starr, Brian Priestley, Cliff Richard, Roger Cook, Pete Brown, Jimmy Merchant (Teenagers), Smokey Robinson, Phil Lesh, Herbie Hancock, Giorgio Moroder, Toni Tennille, Nancy Sinatra, Bill Medley, Larry Chance, Dionne Warwick, Jorma Kaukonen (Jefferson), Frankie Avalon ,Anita Bryant, Eden Kane, Maureen Evans, Athol Guy, Andy Cameron, Candi Staton, Joe Fagin

Pete Brown dead at 82.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, drol said:

Pete Brown dead at 82.

Which means Eric Clapton is now the sole surviving contributor to the music of Cream.

Members:
Ginger Baker (1939–2019)
Jack Bruce (1943–2014)

Eric Clapton (born 1945)

Session contributions:
Pete Brown (1940–2023)
Felix Pappalardi (1939–1983)
George Harrison (1943–2001)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/04/2023 at 07:58, gcreptile said:

Christy Dignam's final interview:

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2023/0416/1377144-christy-dignam-opens-up-in-his-final-ever-interview/

Looks very weak, but I guess he can still stand. 

Dis guy right here, he says according to friends and family of Christy Dignam that he has died: 

Anyone believe Broony? Obviously I like better sources lol.

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Dis guy right here, he says according to friends and family of Christy Dignam that he has died: 

Anyone believe Broony? Obviously I like better sources lol.

bro wasn't kidding when he said final interview

2 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

bro wasn't kidding when he said final interview

I wouldn't worry too much, just went back on and the aforesaid Broony has deleted his tweet.

That could be because the family want further time to inform on their own terms, or he has realised it's bullshit.

However, we are prepared....

And....bullshit as expected: 

On 18/05/2023 at 23:18, ObakeFilter said:

Jimmy Buffett has postponed his upcoming concert in Charleston, South Carolina after being hospitalized for an undisclosed medical issue.

https://www.facebook.com/jimmybuffett/posts/pfbid02yXRPSvy3JXWZBKWVqNMtGKkhW3Q1AhhCTsxrn1cdCs4Eu5vfF9wtDQ1Gsd9pr6cul

Jimmy Buffett discharged.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2023 at 18:50, Youth in Asia said:

Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy and Cliff Burton of Metallica come to mind.

Sid Vicious of course. 

Kirsten Pfaff of Hole.

Richie Edwards of Manic Street Preachers

Paul Grey of Slipknot

15 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy and Cliff Burton of Metallica come to mind.

Sid Vicious of course. 

Kirsten Pfaff of Hole.

Richie Edwards of Manic Street Preachers

Paul Grey of Slipknot

Didn't Richey Edwards play rhythm guitar though?

On 19/05/2023 at 18:50, Youth in Asia said:

Also, in a way, Stu Sutcliffe was the first Beatle to die in 1962 (although, yes, he left the band a year prior). McCartney took over bass only after Sutcliffe left, afaik.

• Like 1