maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Chris Finley, who played keyboards with The Fruit Eating Bears (The Merseys backing band) has died aged 67 from a stroke. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseybeats-bassist-chris-finley-died-10930818

Yes I know the article says he was the bassist, but here he is on keyboards on The Merseys' #4 hit, Sorrow: https://youtu.be/uFFye5hoEdk

Johnny Murphy aka Joey "The Lips" Fagan from The Commitments has died at the age of 72

That flat out sucks.

RIP

He played trumpet, so it should be "this blows"

Ah, but one needs to suck before a good blow. Ask any non-lesbian female or sexually promiscuous cock-loving gay chappie. :puke:

You are not female, so let me ask you; do I need to suck first?

Lennie Baker of Sha-na-na dead at 69. Most famous for singing "blue moon" from the Grease soundtrack. With Sha-na-na he was another Woodstock veteran who died. His group's concert preceded Jim Hendrix legendary set.

Sha-na-na The hop at woodstock.

Man, another 'Club 69' member for 2016 music. We should start up a thread...... it's so much more likely to be of use than Club 27. Bowie, Frey, Baker....and counting.
SC

PS: Please don't start up a thread......

Man, another 'Club 69' member for 2016 music. We should start up a thread...... it's so much more likely to be of use than Club 27. Bowie, Frey, Baker....and counting.

SC

PS: Please don't start up a thread......

Frey was 67. So it's just Bowie and Baker, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Before anyone mentions them: Lemmy was 70, Cole was 65 (and they were both late 2015 deaths but whatever), Kantner, Anderson, and White were 74.

A Club 74 if anything.

Anyone know if Terry Noland is still alive?

I have found that he was born in Abilene, Texas in 1938 but other than that, I see no date of him dying.

This is probably his best known track recorded in 1958 Fungus Among Us It was covered by Hugh Barrett and The Victors in 1961, and by Inner City Unit in 1985

I think I've found more information. If my research is accurate. He's 77, living in Oklahoma City and would seem to be retired.

I have found that he was born in Abilene, Texas in 1938 but other than that, I see no date of him dying.

This is probably his best known track recorded in 1958 Fungus Among Us It was covered by Hugh Barrett and The Victors in 1961, and by Inner City Unit in 1985

I think I've found more information. If my research is accurate. He's 77, living in Oklahoma City and would seem to be retired.

Would seem to be?

How many offers of a major comeback has he had this week, then?

Johnny Murphy aka Joey "The Lips" Fagan from The Commitments has died at the age of 72

That flat out sucks.

RIP

He played trumpet, so it should be "this blows"

Ah, but one needs to suck before a good blow. Ask any non-lesbian female or sexually promiscuous cock-loving gay chappie. :puke:

You are not female, so let me ask you; do I need to suck first?

If you are female, yes... though make sure you brush your teeth beforehand. If you are male, well, I can't speak from experience, but I s'pose brushing your teeth prior to sucking will also help.

Would seem to be?

How many offers of a major comeback has he had this week, then?

None that I'm aware of. He's one of those old time rock 'n' rollers that drifted in to obscurity.

There is a live album that was released about 5-6 years ago with a fairly recent photo of him on the cover.

Not sure what he's chances of an obit are, but slim due to the fact that he went to the same school as Buddy Holly and they had the same producer at Brunswick Records.

Death of the Foof Fighters??!!!

Damn.... that would be a hard one to swallow. Dave played blackbird for the obituaries during the Oscar broadcast. Hope he didn't get any stupid ideas.

10zwv2u.jpg

Death of the Foof Fighters??!!!

Damn.... that would be a hard one to swallow. Dave played blackbird for the obituaries during the Oscar broadcast. Hope he didn't get any stupid ideas.

10zwv2u.jpg

Not happening.

Hahaha!! That's my boys!

Of course not.

But maybe......

Ross Hannaford, guitarist with Australian rockers Daddy Cool, is suffering from a "vicious strain of cancer"...

Not any more - he's dead. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/daddy-cool-guitarist-ross-hannaford-dies-20160308-gndj6t.html

Another gcreptile unique if and when there's a QO.

Third Hit in eight days for the B-Team. Let's see if an "australian guitar legend" (Wikipedia) gets an obit, especially it the Guardian focuses more and more on Australia. I was very surprised that he was a unique pick, since it was a suggestion by DDT.

Ross Hannaford, guitarist with Australian rockers Daddy Cool, is suffering from a "vicious strain of cancer"...

Not any more - he's dead. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/daddy-cool-guitarist-ross-hannaford-dies-20160308-gndj6t.html

Third Hit in eight days for the B-Team. Let's see if an "australian guitar legend" (Wikipedia) gets an obit, especially it the Guardian focuses more and more in Australia. I was very surprised that he was a unique pick, since it was a suggestion by DDT.

No F'n way that obits. I have tremendous doubts Ray Columbus will obit much less a no name from a no name band from down under. I'll send a can of coffee to the charity of gcr's choice if he obits.

SirC

Mail obit

:o

I'm sure I'm not the only person currently in the top ten who saw Hannaford and thought "No way he gets a qualifying obit". Congratulations, gcreptile, a risk well paid off there.

Chunky Charnsworth original guitarist with The Fish Brothers has died. Not sure on his exact age, but he was in his mid 50s

Here's the statement that Martin Fish posted.

It’s with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of original Fish Brother Chunky Charnsworth.

Without Chunky Dave there would never have been a Fish Brothers (yes, it’s his fault). Chunky had the old music hall record his Great Uncle Ken had given him, he had the guitar, and he had the washing up bowl that contained the lethal Fish Bowl cocktail. All these elements combined in Jersey Street on Muesli Mountain to spawn the Fish Brothers.

We learnt our first set from that old record and 25-odd (sometimes very odd) years on we’re still playing them – Barsted King, She Was Poor But She Was Honest, Poor Young Girl, Little Shirt, Sweeney Todd, Winkle Song, Nine-Inch Nails, Grandpa’s Grave – we wrang the life out of that bit of vinyl.

And Chunky (thus named by me due to his wiry, no-fat frame) was at the forefront as we started to write our own stuff. Ying Dicka Dicky, The Melk, Easily Better Than You, Things I Hate were all formed in his mischievous mind, I just added the Gumby words.

I was his best man, he was mine and when he decided to move to France (where he formed a very successful covers band), he suggested Dan as his replacement and we’ve been together ever since.

On his return he never harboured any grudge that we were carrying on without him, he just got on with bringing his boys up. I wish we could have got him up on stage with us more.

I’ll remember him as a man of huge conviction, who was loyal, massively talented and could have the ladies swooning in the aisles (what is it about good-looking guitarists?)

He was my best friend. I should have been there more for him. Thankfully I got to see him at hospital a few days before he passed away. I got to hold his hand, tell him I loved him and to say goodbye. My last image was of him putting his thumbs up as I left.

In the words of the first Fish Brothers song I wrote and brought to the table, he will be way up in the stars having a pint and a smoke and a bloody good laugh. And heckling Elvis (which is another story). Miss you mate.

Third Hit in eight days for the B-Team. Let's see if an "australian guitar legend" (Wikipedia) gets an obit, especially it the Guardian focuses more and more in Australia. I was very surprised that he was a unique pick, since it was a suggestion by DDT.

No F'n way that obits. I have tremendous doubts Ray Columbus will obit much less a no name from a no name band from down under. I'll send a can of coffee to the charity of gcr's choice if he obits.

SirC

Now which charity could use that coffee the most? Give it to a charity for the homeless, your choice.

• Like 1

SirC

Now which charity could use that coffee the most? Give it to a charity for the homeless, your choice.

Aye, but it'll be some fine N'awlins coffee w/chickory. Given to a homeless chap one would think a combination of legendary Café Du Monde and a discarded Bodum coffee press found in a dustbin at the Greater London Sanitation Dept.