maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

When David Bowie died a little over a week ago, it was almost like losing a friend you've known for some time. Not quite a close friend, but someone who was always around and you had a good connection with even if you didn't agree with everything he said or did. When Glen Frey died, I felt the same as if I'd heard the death of a CEO of a company like Johnson & Johnsn, Nabisco or Anheuser-Busch. It wasn't until they started playing snippets of "Hotel California" and "The Heat is On" on the news that I made the connection and remembered how much I hated those songs. I know I'm not alone as there's been a huge division among my friends on facebook many of whom have been fairly open with their dislike for The Eagles.

While some great songs at the time were the result of an LSD trip, "Hotel California" to me always seemed as if it was forced, with Henley, Felder and Frey sat in a studio saying to each other "yeah pink champagne on ice that bit's good, now we just need something that rhymes with ice"

Now that bands like Grateful Dead, and The Eagles are no longer touring, who will 50 and 60 year old suburbanites pay $250 to go to see in concert?

While I do like the songs of the Eagles, I agree with you that "Pink Champagne on ice" is a gastronomical disaster.

And to answer you last question, I think U2 will end up filling that slot. Watching Rolling Stones is also an expensive endeavor these days.

I think people were complaining about the ticket prices for Bruce Springsteen's current US tour.

When David Bowie died a little over a week ago, it was almost like losing a friend you've known for some time. Not quite a close friend, but someone who was always around and you had a good connection with even if you didn't agree with everything he said or did. When Glen Frey died, I felt the same as if I'd heard the death of a CEO of a company like Johnson & Johnsn, Nabisco or Anheuser-Busch. It wasn't until they started playing snippets of "Hotel California" and "The Heat is On" on the news that I made the connection and remembered how much I hated those songs. I know I'm not alone as there's been a huge division among my friends on facebook many of whom have been fairly open with their dislike for The Eagles.

While some great songs at the time were the result of an LSD trip, "Hotel California" to me always seemed as if it was forced, with Henley, Felder and Frey sat in a studio saying to each other "yeah pink champagne on ice that bit's good, now we just need something that rhymes with ice"

Now that bands like Grateful Dead, and The Eagles are no longer touring, who will 50 and 60 year old suburbanites pay $250 to go to see in concert?

While I do like the songs of the Eagles, I agree with you that "Pink Champagne on ice" is a gastronomical disaster.

And to answer you last question, I think U2 will end up filling that slot. Watching Rolling Stones is also an expensive endeavor these days.

I think people were complaining about the ticket prices for Bruce Springsteen's current US tour.

Springsteen tickets go for about $100 although they're not the best of seats. It's most likely double that if you want a decent view of the stage.

True, but You really can't complain when the man dishes up a serving of a marathon concert. I mean, come on. During his latest tour he performed an integral rendering of his album The River, quite long enough to be a full concert in itself. But this turned out to be just half of the show. You can complain about his admittance fee but the man delivers.

Sticking with Eagles, earlier last year Randy Meissner got a court ordered conservator presiding over his drug prescriptions and medical state due to his suicidal tendencies. He threatened to kill himself after killing his wife and other people with an AK47. Perhaps someone to watch, and definitely obit worthy.

• Like 1

You heard it hear first, Keith Richards is not dead.

Keith Richards Found Not Dead in San Francisco Hotel

“With a very heavy heart, I am sad to announce that sometime early this morning, Rolling Stones guitarist, Keith Richards was found still alive.” said Ms. D’lune choking back tears, “He was found in his suite, sitting in a chair, watching Jamie Oliver reruns on the tele. Emergency personnel were summoned and exhaustive attempts were made to revive him, but since Mr. Richards was not dead, that was deemed unnecessary.”

• Like 1

“With a very heavy heart, I am sad to announce that sometime early this morning, Rolling Stones guitarist, Keith Richards was found still alive.” said Ms. D’lune choking back tears, “He was found in his suite, sitting in a chair, watching Jamie Oliver reruns on the tele. Emergency personnel were summoned and exhaustive attempts were made to revive him, but since Mr. Richards was not dead, that was deemed unnecessary.”

Actually, heard it here first. Credit where its due Mr penguin!

• Like 1

Damn! Heartbroken by this. Gutted he's still alive.

Any news about Peter Falk?

Damn! Heartbroken by this. Gutted he's still alive.

Any news about Peter Falk?

Think he was under the bed.

Springsteen tickets go for about $100 although they're not the best of seats. It's most likely double that if you want a decent view of the stage.

Yeah, I think they were a lot higher than usual in some venues this time though, hence the grumbling.

But compared with some others, Bruce's prices are on the low side and as Whitehouse points out, you get a lot for your money.

Yeah, I think they were a lot higher than usual in some venues this time though, hence the grumbling.

But compared with some others, Bruce's prices are on the low side and as Whitehouse points out, you get a lot for your money.

.......apart from a great voice.

.......apart from a great voice.

The thing about going to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is that you get something different every time, whereas most artists stick to the same set list, more or less. But with Bruce, you literally don't know what's coming next, he will start out with a set list in mind but is quite capable of completely changing it a few songs in. Given his enormous back catalogue, and including covers, it's astonishing that the band can accommodate this, but they do. He does requests from the audience as well. And he doesn't always do his "greatest hits". You can probably count on hearing Born To Run and Dancing In The Dark, but I still wouldn't bet my house on it.

The current tour is a bit different because they are playing the whole of The River album, so there's 20 songs that you know are coming. While I would like to hear that, because there are some great songs that are very rarely played live, I would miss the surprise element that makes a Bruce show unique. I will try and get a ticket if he brings the show to Europe, but won't be so keen to go to more than one,

Indeed! Check out the set list at the bottom of this page of Rolling Stone magazine

That's 33 songs in one concert!!

​That's value for your money and really justifies a high ticket price.

Plus, he's an all around nice guy.

Indeed! Check out the set list at the bottom of this page of Rolling Stone magazine

That's 33 songs in one concert!!

​That's value for your money and really justifies a high ticket price.

Plus, he's an all around nice guy.

OK, here's some personal stats. I went to 5 shows on Bruce's last tour. I heard a total of 152 songs which included 83 different ones. That is quite impressive.

Lol at all the newspapers saying he wrote Hotel California

He co-wrote it so not sure what's funny unless they make it sound like he did it himself

SC

Pffft. Frey was notorious for taking credit for the tiniest of suggestions (very much "change a word take a third" kind of thing). Don Felder wrote the music, Don Henley the lyrics. I think pretty much all Frey did was suggest a key change or something. I seem to recall in his autobiography Felder was surprised when he saw Frey's name on the credits.

Still sad news though. Saw the Eagles in 2011 at Hop Farm (Supajam offer so cost me £5.20). They were excellent, of course, even if they did look like accountants. I remember Boys Of Summer and Life's Been Good were played and always wondered if Frey was pissed off they didn't do The Heat Is On.

• Like 1

Still sad news though. Saw the Eagles in 2011 at Hop Farm (Supajam offer so cost me £5.20). They were excellent, of course, even if they did look like accountants. I remember Boys Of Summer and Life's Been Good were played and always wondered if Frey was pissed off they didn't do The Heat Is On.

Awww, Boys Of Summer is one of my favourite songs, but they didn't play it when I saw them :( Did get Life's Been Good though! :)

My mum was the Eagles fan so I grew up listening to their music though I wouldn't call myself a fan. I could add Hotel California to my extreme dislike list. It is turning out to be a tough year for musicians and it is sad to hear of another legend dying.

On the topic of Springsteen, I saw him in concert in 1984 (cost CAN$45). It was my first ever "big" concert. We had behind the stage seats. We did get to see cool stuff like every few songs he'd stick his head in a washing tub full of ice and water. The band did do a few songs (I can't remember how many) for us in the back, which was also very cool. Four hours of Bruce and company with no opening act. Worth every freakin' penny.

• Like 1

Fleetwood Mac.

U2.

Madonna (hey, we're all getting older...)

Kate Bush's next live extravaganza. ;)

Bruce Springsteen played 'Take It Easy' for Glenn Frey last night in Chicago.

Not sure if this is a hoax or not. Glen Frey dead? Will try to find a real link. http://ktla.com/2016/01/18/eagles-founding-member-glenn-frey-dead-at-67/

Nope, not a hoax.

When I heard of Glenn Frey's passing, this is the song I thought of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufTf6fs2NCc

Colin Vearncome of Black ("Wonderful Life") fame "critically ill" in hospital after car accident.

Update on his website, does not sound good. :(

We promised to keep you updated with news about Colin. Until yesterday we had very little firm information other than that he was in a coma following a road traffic accident on the morning of 10th, not far from Cork airport, and that he was in a critical condition.

However scans have revealed that the injuries to his brain are worse than we feared and that he has only a slim chance of pulling through. He is in a stable condition, which is being managed by the amazing staff of the Intensive Treatment Unit, with his family by his side. More scans are scheduled for Friday morning, however it is clear that if we are going to see an improvement, we will need a miracle.

On the topic of Springsteen, I saw him in concert in 1984 (cost CAN$45). It was my first ever "big" concert. We had behind the stage seats. We did get to see cool stuff like every few songs he'd stick his head in a washing tub full of ice and water. The band did do a few songs (I can't remember how many) for us in the back, which was also very cool. Four hours of Bruce and company with no opening act. Worth every freakin' penny.

1984??

sherlockzk0.gif

courtney_cox4_180_135.jpg

masturbananavc5.gif

• Like 1

On Vearncombe, this sounds very like my late brother's situation. He might come out of the coma, then it will be a decision as to whether anyone is prepared for the life commitment for care of a possible PVS person, or at least someone with terrible brain injury. I feel for the people around him at the moment.

I bought that single too, deserved a massive career. I wish him all the best.

Jimmy Bain , former bassist with Rainbow & Dio, doesn't make the new '69 club'.

Dead at 68.

Link to follow...

ETA..

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-rainbowdio-bassist-jimmy-bain-dead-at-68/