maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

I saw The B-52s twice and they were absolutely brilliant!!!

My favorite band ever ever ever and even forever!!! :wub:

Kate Pierson announces the death of Paul Christian Gordon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gordon_(musician), keyboardist and guitarist with The B-52s since 2007. https://www.facebook.com/katepiersonofficial/posts/953854791328912

He was also the keyboardist in the New Radicals. Apparently the dreamer's disease isn't curable.

Aye, sad, bit partial to the B52s back in the day.

It's sad, but Paul Gordon only started playing with them 9 years ago. So it was well after their heyday.

They headlined the Rewind South festival about 3 years ago and were absolutely dreadful. I didn't go, but watched a live stream and was pleased I hadn't missed much. Friends there said they were awful, as did most of the regulars on FB etc. They had no rapport with the audience whatsoever.

I saw the highlights of it, they just came out, sang their hits and that was it. There were other artists/bands that performed thart were known for only 1 or 2 songs that had more of a connection with the crowd and for them it was the biggest moment of their lives since their popularity waned.

Some of them are eyeopeners. For instance, Rick Astley always puts on a terrific show and is hugely popular.

With the B52s, I felt that there was a lot of in-jokes going on amongst themselves. As I wasn't actually there, I thought it might have just been me feeling excluded, but my friends said exactly the same afterwards.

For instance, Rick Astley always puts on a terrific show and is hugely popular.

Will he ever give up?

• Like 3

Kate Pierson announces the death of Paul Christian Gordon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gordon_(musician), keyboardist and guitarist with The B-52s since 2007. https://www.facebook.com/katepiersonofficial/posts/953854791328912

He was also the keyboardist in the New Radicals. Apparently the dreamer's disease isn't curable.

It's sad, but Paul Gordon only started playing with them 9 years ago. So it was well after their heyday.

They headlined the Rewind South festival about 3 years ago and were absolutely dreadful. I didn't go, but watched a live stream and was pleased I hadn't missed much. Friends there said they were awful, as did most of the regulars on FB etc. They had no rapport with the audience whatsoever.

I saw the highlights of it, they just came out, sang their hits and that was it. There were other artists/bands that performed thart were known for only 1 or 2 songs that had more of a connection with the crowd and for them it was the biggest moment of their lives since their popularity waned.

Some of them are eyeopeners. For instance, Rick Astley always puts on a terrific show and is hugely popular.

With the B52s, I felt that there was a lot of in-jokes going on amongst themselves. As I wasn't actually there, I thought it might have just been me feeling excluded, but my friends said exactly the same afterwards.

I saw the highlights of the 2014 and 2015 festivals. and I was surprised to see Hugh Cornwell on the line-up as he's still gigging, touring and releasing solo albums.

I saw the highlights of the 2014 and 2015 festivals. and I was surprised to see Hugh Cornwell on the line-up as he's still gigging, touring and releasing solo albums.

It's not all has-beens and one-hit wonders. You also get the likes of Marc Almond and Midge Ure who are still touring and recording.

When OMD reformed, they wouldn't do a "nostalgia" festival until they'd done a tour of their own and proved to themselves that they still had a dedicated audience. Now they do both. I think some artists worry that appearing at this type of festival will eat into their own tour audience figures, but I've been to see quite a few after seeing them at festivals, so I think it can work the other way too.

• Like 1

It's not all has-beens and one-hit wonders. You also get the likes of Marc Almond and Midge Ure who are still touring and recording.

When OMD reformed, they wouldn't do a "nostalgia" festival until they'd done a tour of their own and proved to themselves that they still had a dedicated audience. Now they do both. I think some artists worry that appearing at this type of festival will eat into their own tour audience figures, but I've been to see quite a few after seeing them at festivals, so I think it can work the other way too.

It's also a guarenteed pay packet. You might have a small crowd of dedicated followers, but you're also going to have fans there from other bands too from the same time you had your hits.

The festival promoters basically provide all the backline equipment, so in cases of like Tom Bailey, you just need to turn up with your guitar and you get a few grand in your pocket at the end of it.

Surprised that Nick Heyward is still gigging and putting out albums (albeit last album was about 10 years ago)

Tom Bailey had his own band, I think. He certainly had quite an elaborate light show. I would have enjoyed his set earlier in the evening, but as a closing act we found it a bit depressing as the Thompson Twins songs tend to be a bit downbeat. I want something a bit more cheerful to finish.

But yes, there is a house band and very good they are too.

Not going this year as there's nobody I'm keen to see that I haven't seen before. They have Andy Bell as one headliner, I would probably go if Vince was there as well. Either they won't pay them enough, or Vince doesn't want to do it. I'd rather go and see Erasure next time they tour instead.

Tom Bailey had his own band, I think. He certainly had quite an elaborate light show. I would have enjoyed his set earlier in the evening, but as a closing act we found it a bit depressing as the Thompson Twins songs tend to be a bit downbeat. I want something a bit more cheerful to finish.

Not going this year as there's nobody I'm keen to see that I haven't seen before. They have Andy Bell as one headliner, I would probably go if Vince was there as well. Either they won't pay them enough, or Vince doesn't want to do it. I'd rather go and see Erasure next time they tour instead.

My brother bought me Erasures '40 Pop Hits' CD for my birthday.

One of my 'guilty pleasures', them and Depeche Mode. I must be a subconscious Vince Clarke fan methinx. :ph34r:

FTFY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gordon_(musician)

Interesting...the wiki link was correct when I posted it and it looks like a whole new page has been set up and the original wiped from existence.

Hang on...

The formatting here changed the last bracket to an ordinary closed bracket (thus removing part of the link) and I didn't notice. Jeez Louise.

One of my 'guilty pleasures', them and Depeche Mode. I must be a subconscious Vince Clarke fan methinx. :ph34r:

Guilty pleasure, really? :blink: I wouldn't put either in that category.

• Like 1

I used to love Depeche Mode until I moved next door to an absolute cunt.

You obviously had enough...

• Like 4

You obviously had enough...

Yes, Sometimes ;) you want to enjoy the silence.

• Like 4

Not one really for this thread, and I didn't want to put it in the general dead one. Vi Subversa, lead vocalist with Poison Girls has died at the age of 80.

Erasure, yes.. with me being a heterosexual chap.. as most of Erasures fans consist of camp-chappies & sweet ladies who believe they can 'turn' Andy Bell. But having grown up during the 1980s, I did prefer the UK synth-pop tunes by the likes of Erasure, Depeche Mode, Human League, Howard Jones, O.M.D & most pop-orientated stuff that goes against the stereotype that most men who are now in their late 40s were fans of Dire Straits/Springsteen/Queen around 30 years ago. Though I've always had a soft spot for Madonna & Kylies pre-2006 material. Must be me feminine side. Now, where's me cowboy boots, braces & fake bushy moustache ?? Erasure my guilty pleasure, yes.. but a damn good one !! (I even bought a Jaki Graham 7" single in 1986 !)

;)

• Like 1

Erasure, yes.. with me being a heterosexual chap.. as most of Erasures fans consist of camp-chappies & sweet ladies who believe they can 'turn' Andy Bell. But having grown up during the 1980s, I did prefer the UK synth-pop tunes by the likes of Erasure, Depeche Mode, Human League, Howard Jones, O.M.D & most pop-orientated stuff that goes against the stereotype that most men who are now in their late 40s were fans of Dire Straits/Springsteen/Queen around 30 years ago. Though I've always had a soft spot for Madonna & Kylies pre-2006 material. Must be me feminine side. Now, where's me cowboy boots, braces & fake bushy moustache ?? Erasure my guilty pleasure, yes.. but a damn good one !! (I even bought a Jaki Graham 7" single in 1986 !)

;)

This must be a bloke thing, cos I've heard this sort of thing before - but never from women.

If you like somebody's music, why should their sexual orientation cause you embarrassment? As a straight woman, I don't feel uncomfortable about liking, for instance, Dusty Springfield or Joan Armatrading.

Or Freddie Mercury, since you mentioned Queen :evil2:

• Like 5

Didn't almost everyone in the 80s like "gay" synth pop? I mean, it was the time. Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Culture Club, Queen went a bit into that direction as well. I'm still surprised noone in Depeche mode was gay, that is, after that one guy left and formed Erasure. The alternative was hair metal, I guess. Or The Smiths, who require a special mentality, and are also sort of gay. In this regard, 80s music was the child of gender-bending David Bowie.

• Like 1

;)

This must be a bloke thing, cos I've heard this sort of thing before - but never from women.

If you like somebody's music, why should their sexual orientation cause you embarrassment? As a straight woman, I don't feel uncomfortable about liking, for instance, Dusty Springfield or Joan Armatrading.

Or Freddie Mercury, since you mentioned Queen :evil2:

I think it was a bloke thing Toastie, although I suspect that the more 'hardcore' of music like Queen transcended all barriers that, perhaps, Erasure never did?

Men are strange creatures.

Didn't almost everyone in the 80s like "gay" synth pop? I mean, it was the time. Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Culture Club, Queen went a bit into that direction as well. I'm still surprised noone in Depeche mode was gay, that is, after that one guy left and formed Erasure. The alternative was hair metal, I guess. Or The Smiths, who require a special mentality, and are also sort of gay. In this regard, 80s music was the child of gender-bending David Bowie.

I don't think Vince Clarke is gay? I thought he was married with children. Not that that proves anything of course, he might be bi, but still.

He was a good sport to do this, because you just know it was Andy's idea :lol:

• Like 1

I don't think Vince Clarke is gay? I thought he was married with children. Not that that proves anything of course, he might be bi, but still.

Vince Clarke is straight. A friend of a friend who actually knew him said he'd been in a changing room with him once and Clarke had; "the dangliest bollocks in Christendom."

How much research went into that observation I don't know, just thought I'd - like - share it.

• Like 2

Thanks! Pop culture knowledge - updated.

Queen and synth pop??! Next thing you know you're going to mention FGTH as a gay group...

(Honored to be the one to break the 100 pages in this thread. Thank you.)

Queen and synth pop??! Next thing you know you're going to mention FGTH as a gay group...

(Honored to be the one to break the 100 pages in this thread. Thank you.)

Once they replaced the drums with a drum machine on Radio GaGa, they weren't really Rock anymore. Or A KInd of Magic, or the Invisible Man. Like Genesis, they ceased to be Rock in the 80s, in my opinion.

Wasn't able to post a link this past weekend as I was using my phone to connect to the site.

Anyway.. Vi Subversa founder and vocalist and guitarist of Poison Girls died at the age of 80