maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

53 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

One of those names mentioned as a possibility hereabouts like a decade ago, and they sounded on the brink way back then!

It was me apparently in 2008, not that I have any recollection whatsoever of posting it.  

@YoungWillz and @Thatcher, I'll move these posts to the Pop thread in a minute, once I've checked on my fish pie.  Please, both of you, just chill out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Floyd Maywillzer vs Conor McThatcher?

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Posts moved from "Fringes of Fame," thread. World War Three hopefully averted.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Seija Simola, an once pretty Finnish female singer nationally popular 4 or 5 decades ago has  died at 72 SAD NEWS!

• Like 1

Walter Becker, bassist, guitarist, songwriter and co-founder of Steely Dan, has died aged 67. Steely Dan had many hits in both the US Billboard Hot 100 and the UK Top 40, as well as Australia and Canada. Their highest charting single in the US was Rikki Don't Lose That Number (#4) - 1974, whilst their highest charting single in the UK was Haitian Divorce (#17) - 1976. 

Edit: Daily Mail, Independent, Daily MirrorThe TelegraphBBC obituaries.

• Sad 1

Apparently, he had a planned surgery a month ago according to Donald Fagen, but didn't specify on what it was. I'm surprised I missed that, so Walter never got a place on the long list. 

Really sad though, I really do enjoy Steely Dan's music. They are certainly an underrated band. RIP.

Sucks if it's true.  They weren't so much a singles band, but I'd bet their Aja album was top 10 rather easily.
SC

13 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Apparently, he had a planned surgery a month ago according to Donald Fagen, but didn't specify on what it was. I'm surprised I missed that, so Walter never got a place on the long list. 

Really sad though, I really do enjoy Steely Dan's music. They are certainly an underrated band. RIP.

You got a link to that Joey?  Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Found it....

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

You got a link to that Joey?  Thanks in advance.

I think this is the article Joey is referencing.

• Thanks 1

He has finished reelin in the years. 

Here's quite the article about musicians and mortality, and it all centers around Fagan performing as Steely Dan without Becker in July.  The illness is referenced and no more.
Whatever it was, it sounds like it came on quick.
SC

Did any of the veterans have him on their longlist before he died? Cause he avoided me, which shows that my researching skills certainly needs improvement. Not like there was doubt about that anyways...

3 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Walter Becker, bassist, guitarist, songwriter and co-founder of Steely Dan, has died aged 67. Steely Dan had many hits in both the US Billboard Hot 100 and the UK Top 40, as well as Australia and Canada. Their highest charting single in the US was Rikki Don't Lose That Number (#4) - 1974, whilst their highest charting single in the UK was Haitian Divorce (#17) - 1976. 

Edit: Daily Mail, Independent, Daily MirrorThe TelegraphBBC obituaries.

I do a first radio show of each new year featuring our List of the Lost (i.e. credible musicians and the like who died the previous year). 2018's two hour extravaganza is writing itself.

Yeah, the plethora of well known names dying is seemingly trying to raise the standards of 2017 potentially competing with 2016 on who has the bigger year of deaths. 

On 30/08/2017 at 23:12, Spade_Cooley said:

Tweet, whose 2002 hit "Oops (Oh My)" is probably the best R&B single ever about masturbation, hospitalised with blood clots to the heart and lungs. Missy Elliot among those sending up prayers on Twitter.

Just for balance here's the worst song about masturbation ever. Thank god it was a hidden track.

And the most uncomfortable one;

Wow, that is sad news. Steely Dan is definitely an underrated band. RIP Walter, looks like he won't be Do(ing) It Again...

While on the topic of music and masturbation, though not specifically-related, you'll need to look up how 10cc got it's name.  Not to mention the topical Steely Dan.
SC

Re masturbation the 10cc story follows a similar route to naming The Lovin' Spoonful.

Masturbation and a hint of something spiritual resides in this gem from a great album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjhNyMo5qLY

and, finally - Becker got television news on a day when nuclear tensions were ratcheting up. So, anyone in any credible 70's band is fair q/o game, then.

Rick Stevens, former Tower of Power lead singer, has died aged 77. His most popular song with the band was You're Still a Young Man which hit #29 on the US Billboard Hot 100 in 1972. After leaving the band, he served 36 years in prison on three murder charges. 

Edit: Daily Mail obituary.

17 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Rick Stevens, former Tower of Power lead singer, has died aged 77. His most popular song with the band was You're Still a Young Man which hit #29 on the US Billboard Hot 100 in 1972. After leaving the band, he served 36 years in prison on three murder charges. 

Edit: Daily Mail obituary.

Aside from him, maybe another possibility from this band is former guitarist/occasional singer Bruce Conte, who was diagnosed with leukemia in 2012. Not sure how he is doing now, but something to keep in mind.

Oh, come on...

• Like 1

So, his cancer has spread to the liver now (though it's not in his stomach now). I'm thinking he'll become a likely drop 40 candidate next year if he makes the starting line (which is still possible imo), however, considering which major competitor picked him for the DDP, he's probably a goner this year...

• Like 1

He will join the 69 club.