Dr Hackenslash

Sven-Göran Eriksson

I thought he had stepped down from football at least 10 years ago, having being very discreet since his tenure at Leiceister !

When was he at Notts County ? I don’t remember ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

When was he at Notts County ? I don’t remember ?

Google "Munto Finance", get a lesson in one of the most entertaining and weirdest seasons in football history (Notts Count 09/10). tbh, I'm surprised with the current craze for docudramas about news from recent history we've not got a Netflix adaptation of it yet.

Thanks, I read an article. No wonder he couldn’t find an « A list » team after that, he must have lost his credibility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomarse said:

Sven-Goran Eriksson announcing that he has terminal cancer and about a year to live:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/svengoran-eriksson-england-swede-swedish-karlstad-b2476808.html

Has his own thread too. 

Edit: Also, could someone please fix the thread to say "Sven-Göran" instead of "Sven-goran". It doesn't sound correct to me without the umlaut, like saying "Olton John" or something.

• Thanks 1

Que the 'Golden Generation' lining up with plaudits for the manager that won sweet FA with England.

A really nice guy by all accounts. Hope he gets what he can, out of the time he has left.

at 75 Years old, I can't work out if that's a good age or not really.

31 minutes ago, arghton said:

Has his own thread too. 

Ah looked but couldn't find, ta. 

Would it have really been so difficult to announce this 2 weeks ago?

I wonder if anyone picked him.

• Like 6

:wacko: Not a good year for football coaches,who is gonna be dying next.

• Like 1

Do wonder if the year is from when he stepped away from his last job 11 months ago for health reasons or if the diagnosis is much more recent 

• Like 2

well, if he makes it to Jan 1st, we know for sure one person who'll be on the main list/drop 40?

On 25/02/2023 at 11:10, Spade_Cooley said:

Google "Munto Finance", get a lesson in one of the most entertaining and weirdest seasons in football history (Notts Count 09/10). tbh, I'm surprised with the current craze for docudramas about news from recent history we've not got a Netflix adaptation of it yet.

Only just seen this - there's a superb podcast series, best moments are the times they talk to eye-witnesses like the former non league defender at County who finds Sol Campbell's car parked next to his or the moment Sven discusses North Korean football officials trying to tap him up to use his FIFA connections to help them. 

Fill yer boots here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0bq3935

• Like 2

Damn.  A clear pick for '25 if he can make it there.  Alex Trebek lasted a bit longer than people expected, so maybe he can, too.  

I think he'll go in around August. He seems like the person who might not fight it too much, and just accept whatever happens.

27 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

I think he'll go in around August. He seems like the person who might not fight it too much, and just accept whatever happens.

Memories of Ulri-ka-ka will keep him warm and cosy for years

37 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

I think he will go during the Euros so sometime between June 14th - July 14th. 

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

Would it have really been so difficult to announce this 2 weeks ago?

I wonder if anyone picked him.

He wasn’t a DDP selection last year but had been picked before that so it is possible someone has. Otherwise he will likely be LOTM. 

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

As he would say himself: "the first half of the year, good. The second half, not so good."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have to assume that this is what he was having "tests" for last February that saw him step down from all football-related activities immediately. So yeah, he's already a year into PC, it'd be a minor miracle for him to make it to the start of the 2025 DDP.

• Like 1

Not on any DDP 2024 teams. So short of a 2025 miracle, looks like an incoming LotM.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Perfect Passing said:

Que the 'Golden Generation' lining up with plaudits for the manager that won sweet FA with England.

A really nice guy by all accounts. Hope he gets what he can, out of the time he has left.

at 75 Years old, I can't work out if that's a good age or not really.

75 for a bloke in a developed country is an average age. You can't complain too much if you get a terminal diagnosis as a 75 year old but you can't say you've been especially lucky either. 

I'd classify it as not being a good age. There are Western males who have led very unhealthy lifestyles, or had serious health issues, and lived into their 90s, in fact it's quite common nowadays. I would put the dividing line between good age and bad age at 80, anyone going in their 70s has reason to feel aggrieved.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CalebH said:

:wacko: Not a good year for football coaches,who is gonna be dying next.

You'd have to say England football team managers haven't had great success. Winterbottom (88), Greenwood (84), Venables (80), Robson (76) and Ramsey (79) did ok but none have made it into their 90s. But Revie (61) and Taylor (72) both died relatively early while Glenn Hoddle has had a brush with death on his 61st birthday. 

• Like 2