M Busby Airlines

Betty Driver Memorial Soapstar Superstar Thread

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/7125152/Former-Brookside-and-Hollyoaks-actor-Kristian-Ealey-dies-aged-38.html

The guy who played Matt Musgrove who crossed over from Brookside into Hollyoaks after it was axed has died today aged 38.....

Ah, Hollyoaks and Brookside. The two biggest piles of soap shit ever invented, even El Dorado was better than those two steaming piles of utter cockspaff.

<cough>Triangle</cough>

Ah now see I missed the wonder of Triangle as I lived abroad between 81 and 83.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/7125152/Former-Brookside-and-Hollyoaks-actor-Kristian-Ealey-dies-aged-38.html

The guy who played Matt Musgrove who crossed over from Brookside into Hollyoaks after it was axed has died today aged 38.....

Ah, Hollyoaks and Brookside. The two biggest piles of soap shit ever invented, even El Dorado was better than those two steaming piles of utter cockspaff.

<cough>Triangle</cough>

Oh yes, that really was crap. They made up a ridiculous scenario of a woman travelling back and forth for months so that her dog didn't have to go into quarantine. There are lots of people who travel regularly on ferries, I used to myself, so it would have been easy enough to include some regular faces among the passengers without going to such implausible lengths.

<cough>Triangle</cough>

Oh yes, that really was crap. They made up a ridiculous scenario of a woman travelling back and forth for months so that her dog didn't have to go into quarantine. There are lots of people who travel regularly on ferries, I used to myself, so it would have been easy enough to include some regular faces among the passengers without going to such implausible lengths.

Implausible? In a soap? ha.

These people apparently stumble from one dire crisis to the next with hardly a pause for breath, for years on end, you can add 'why isn't there a suicide every episode?' to the list of implausibility. Not that I've actually seen one since about 1979 mind, so I'm an unreliable witness .

Whilst I've got my rant hat on, I don't understand why all tv drama to one degree or another has to be so obviously manipulated to give cliff hanger endings and overtly and overly emotive content. I end up watching most of them waiting for the love interest to be slipped in (fnarr) and the inevitable ramp up of some awful pending disaster to be started towards the end of the episode. Yes I know, sometimes they get it right even for somebody as sceptical as me (The Wire, Edge of Darkness, more recently Line of Duty), but more often than not it looks far too contrived. Most films are equally guilty.

Some drama's are worse than others but without question all soaps that I've ever seen were execrable :puke: .

/rant mode off

Anyone else fancy a sweep-stake on who the next soap actor to die will be.

Deathray - Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogen in Corrie) - 89 years old

Cat O'Falk and Morbidkid - Bill Treacher (Arthur Fowler in Eastenders) - 85 years old

Scraggy Taters - June Brown (Dot Cotton in EastEners) - 89 years old.

Fergie89 and Shaun of the Dead- Sheila Mercier (Annie Sugden in EastEnders) - 97 years old

Handrejka - Eileen Derbyshire (Emily Bishop in Coronation Street) - 84 years old.

time - Leonard Fenton (Dr Legg in EastEnders) - 89 years old

themaninblack - Julie Goodyear (Bet Lynch in Coronation Street) - 74 years old

BufordTJustice - Joan Collins (Alexis Carrington Colby in Dynasty) - 82 years old

The Dead Cow - Paula Tilbrook (Betty Eagketon in Emmerdale) - 86 year olds

Toast - Doreen Keogh (Concepta Riley in Coronation Street) - 90 years old.

YoungWillz - Johnny Beattie (Malcolm Atkinson in River City) - 89 years old

Bibliogryphon - Vivean Gray - (Mrs Mangel in Neighbours) - 91 years old

Nearly two month on and nobody has won the sweepstake yet.

• Like 2

I'm thinking of compiling a long-list of actors who've appeared in the big soaps, which shows should be included.

The Archers, Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Crossroads, Brookside, Hollyoaks, Home and Away and Neighbours are the obvious ones but what else?

I'm thinking of compiling a long-list of actors who've appeared in the big soaps, which shows should be included.

The Archers, Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Crossroads, Brookside, Hollyoaks, Home and Away and Neighbours are the obvious ones but what else?

I don't recommend you do The Bill - that would probably end up being everybody who has an equity card!!

I don't recommend you do The Bill - that would probably end up being everybody who has an equity card!!

From last time I tried this - on my old computer which wasn't backed up - the same applies to Corrie.

Casualty, Holby City, El Dorado

Then there is also River City, Doctors, Family Affairs, Heartbeat and Brookside

Casualty, Holby City, El Dorado

That's not a soap it's an abomination.

• Like 1

In the slightest bastardised words of a great - This may be some time...

Triangle. Albion Market(?).

And if you're doing Aussie soaps, how about Kiwi soaps (Shortland Street) or, God forbid, US soaps?

Awards night tonight, well last night but it's being broadcast tonight. Outstanding achievement went to one of our own last year after Anne Kirkbride's death. This year it's gone to a living person. James Bain, the late, did however get an off-screen award.

Some of the older coronation street actors are a nightmare to trace birth dates for let alone recent health information. Not to mention there's a hell of a lot of maybe dead/maybe alive but nobody'd know minor actors who played small parts in the 1960s,1970s and 1980s. Some of these people had reasonably long stints on the shows as well. Eileen Mayers an example, famous as Sheila Birtles - whose most prominent storyline was the abandoned suicide attempt episode deemed to controversial to go out at the time. Despite a reasonably regular part, no record of her date of birth appears to be found - although an estimate of late 1930s or very early 1940s seems to be in order, . Her last public appearance appears to have been in 2011 to comment on the Corrie Years documentary finally airing the suicide scenes.

This is just one of many, many, many actors and actresses that makes that age-ranked list highly unlikely.

Some of the older coronation street actors are a nightmare to trace birth dates for let alone recent health information. Not to mention there's a hell of a lot of maybe dead/maybe alive but nobody'd know minor actors who played small parts in the 1960s,1970s and 1980s. Some of these people had reasonably long stints on the shows as well. Eileen Mayers an example, famous as Sheila Birtles - whose most prominent storyline was the abandoned suicide attempt episode deemed to controversial to go out at the time. Despite a reasonably regular part, no record of her date of birth appears to be found - although an estimate of late 1930s or very early 1940s seems to be in order, . Her last public appearance appears to have been in 2011 to comment on the Corrie Years documentary finally airing the suicide scenes.

This is just one of many, many, many actors and actresses that makes that age-ranked list highly unlikely.

Having dug around, my guess is she was born Eileen Mayer (no 's') in the first half of 1942 with the birth being registered in Manchester, which at the time was in Lancashire.

Having dug around, my guess is she was born Eileen Mayer (no 's') in the first half of 1942 with the birth being registered in Manchester, which at the time was in Lancashire.

That's one possibility - I'm assuming FreeBMD or ancestry to determine that? the other possibility is, like many other actors she used a stage name. There is literally hundred of these sorts of vagueries from the first few years of the show alone, you can only access birth and death records up to 2007 in a central database, after that it becomes even harder to find as you're looking at local news sources. I also feel slightly majorly uncomfortable using family research tools to effectively snoop on minor celebrities. The main characters, vast majority anyway, seem to have their personal info logged already maybe best to stick to them and keep another concurrent list of people who seem to have disappeared or have no birthday.

Dorset Echo, in article about her fundraising, has reported that Thelma Barlow is moving from Dorset to Kent in order to be closer to son.

Dorset Echo, in article about her fundraising, has reported that Thelma Barlow is moving from Dorset to Kent in order to be closer to son.

Ah don't say that. She was a possibility for my Doctor Who list on Biblio's new Scavenger Hunt but I saw her appear in Florence Foster Jenkins at the cinema last month and she looked great so I took her out of the running. Think she's still got a few years left in her yet old Mavis.

• Like 1

Eileen Derbyshire. May have been brought up in the past but her 6 month break from the show has now lasted 7 and a half months. In the past she's taken lengthy breaks with no publicity but this time there was massive fanfare. She even got the old taxi exit (which for many of us is a slight on a character if it's their final exit from the show for various reasons though it was handled reasonably well for Emily and actually suited her).

Whilst she might not be ill, she's certainly retired unless she surprises us all soon. At 84 years old she could live another decade, but as past six month breaks include Diedre's she might be worth a punt next year.

• Like 1

Eileen Derbyshire. May have been brought up in the past but her 6 month break from the show has now lasted 7 and a half months. In the past she's taken lengthy breaks with no publicity but this time there was massive fanfare. She even got the old taxi exit (which for many of us is a slight on a character if it's their final exit from the show for various reasons though it was handled reasonably well for Emily and actually suited her).

Whilst she might not be ill, she's certainly retired unless she surprises us all soon. At 84 years old she could live another decade, but as past six month breaks include Diedre's she might be worth a punt next year.

I notice they're bringing Toyah Battersby back. I wonder if it's for her to announce that Emily has died/decided to stay in Peru and won't be returning to the street.

The way I read it, she had retired and that her break from the soap was open ended.

I don't think her health was relevant to her walking away.

Anyone else fancy a sweep-stake on who the next soap actor to die will be.

Deathray - Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogen in Corrie) - 89 years old

Cat O'Falk and Morbidkid - Bill Treacher (Arthur Fowler in Eastenders) - 85 years old

Scraggy Taters - June Brown (Dot Cotton in EastEners) - 89 years old.

Fergie89 and Shaun of the Dead- Sheila Mercier (Annie Sugden in EastEnders) - 97 years old

Handrejka - Eileen Derbyshire (Emily Bishop in Coronation Street) - 84 years old.

time - Leonard Fenton (Dr Legg in EastEnders) - 89 years old

themaninblack - Julie Goodyear (Bet Lynch in Coronation Street) - 74 years old

BufordTJustice - Joan Collins (Alexis Carrington Colby in Dynasty) - 82 years old

The Dead Cow - Paula Tilbrook (Betty Eagketon in Emmerdale) - 86 year olds

Toast - Doreen Keogh (Concepta Riley in Coronation Street) - 90 years old.

YoungWillz - Johnny Beattie (Malcolm Atkinson in River City) - 89 years old

Bibliogryphon - Vivean Gray - (Mrs Mangel in Neighbours) - 91 years old

Looks like Biblio wins, Mrs Mangel, Vivean Grey dies aged 92

• Like 1