M Busby Airlines

Betty Driver Memorial Soapstar Superstar Thread

Given Eileen Derbyshire has played this role for over 50 years with very few breaks I'd see this as a cause for adding her to your list next year, 6 months was also the amount of time given off to Anne Kirkbride. Given Derbyshire's age and long-running history with the show I'd be very surprised if this wasn't for medical reasons. The other possibility is she's got so sick of the current numbskull producers style that she's waiting for the competent person to get bedded in before returning.

Given Eileen Derbyshire has played this role for over 50 years with very few breaks I'd see this as a cause for adding her to your list next year, 6 months was also the amount of time given off to Anne Kirkbride. Given Derbyshire's age and long-running history with the show I'd be very surprised if this wasn't for medical reasons. The other possibility is she's got so sick of the current numbskull producers style that she's waiting for the competent person to get bedded in before returning.

After missing out on Anne Kirkbride I think we should be careful before we dismiss this. Unless she has booked herself a world cruise.

I agree.If she was ill she would not publicly disclose it as she is a very private person even more so than Kirkbride.I know her husband is still alive so maybe he is ill.It seems odd her taking time off after so many years.

• Like 1

Going to shoehorn this in here. David Canary, US actor who appeared in Peyton Place and All My Children, has died at the age of 77. http://www.wiltonbulletin.com/58921/david-canary-dies-at-77/

But he is probably best known in the UK for the part of the ranch foreman Candy Canaday in Bonanza. https://youtu.be/XW4oiPjL1GM

Sad news, a great character actress who did a lot more than soap.

Sad news, she was a good actress, always thought she was older than 74 though would of had her in her late 70's or early 80's never the less RIP.

Is this the right thread?

Shirley Stelfox, a.k.a. Edna Birch of Emmerdale, is dead at 74 from cancer:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35039710

You just beat me to it, it means both Roses from Keeping Up Appearances are now dead.

You just beat me to it, it means both Roses from Keeping Up Appearances are now dead.

Now you said that, I know her. :-( that's a downer

SC

Guest Guest

i was just thinking earlier today how such a lot of that shows cast are still with us given how old they all were when they made it!

She had a small but memorable part in Brookside too (well I remember it because we used to play Brookside in the school playground and I was her character) . In fact she seems to have been in all the major soaps as she had roles in Corrie and Eastenders too. I remember her best from Making Out.

I had been thinking about adding Paula Tilbrook to my list for next year given that she was in Emmerdale for so long and has retired this year and yet here we are shocked with the death of someone who was still in it and still seemed okay...Echo the comments re her age, how was she only 74?!

Was married to Don Henderson...

• Like 1

I worked with Shirley Stelfox on Emmerdale (Batley growled at me). She was lovely. Sad news

Actor, director and producer Will MacMillan died Dec. 2 in Burbank, Calif. He was 71.

A member of the Screen Actors Guild, MacMillan was active in television, film and stage. On television he was well known for his role as Boris on “General Hospital,” among others.

He'd have been better off checking IN to General Hospital.

SC

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/macmillan-general-hospital-actor-dies-71-031030028.html

I worked with Shirley Stelfox on Emmerdale (Batley growled at me). She was lovely. Sad news

How easy was it to for her to get into the character of Edna?Did she have to warm up to get into character or could she just switch into character instantly as some method actors do?

Linekers bar? That George is it? Once a popular pick in this parish ?

Also Eastenders character Charlie Slater was killed off in Tonight`s episode.The actor who plays him Derek Martin is 83 in April and overweight.Maybe one to keep in mind in the future.

Also Eastenders character Charlie Slater was killed off in Tonight`s episode.The actor who plays him Derek Martin is 83 in April and overweight.Maybe one to keep in mind in the future.

I presume "a nice cup of tea" or "cuppatea" was offered round?

Guest Guest

Derek lives in Hatfield and is often seen at Tesco's Hatfield. He looks in reasonable nick in real life. Maybe 3 or 4 years yet at least.