M Busby Airlines

Betty Driver Memorial Soapstar Superstar Thread

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_MacArthur

I appreciate this sad news has been posted elsewhere but I felt it was worth a mention in the soap thread too. 

Scottish actress Edith MacArthur has died aged 92. 

She was versatile across genres of roles but deserves a mention here for starring in Scottish soap Take the high road from its first episode in 1980 until 1986 when her character  Lady Laird Elizabeth Cunningham was killed off. 

Following Grantham's demise, here is the list of actors from the first episode of EastEnders:

Anna Wing b. 1914, d. 2013

Wendy Richard b. 1943, d. 2009

Bill Treacher b. 1930

Susan Tully b. 1967

David Scarboro b. 1968, d. 1988

Peter Dean b. 1939

Gillian Taylforth b. 1955

Adam Woodyatt b. 1968

Leslie Grantham b. 1947, d. 2018

Anita Dobson b. 1949

Letitia Dean b. 1967

Gretchen Franklin b. 1911, d. 2005

Leonard Fenton b. 1926

John Altman b. 1952

Sandy Ratcliff b. 1950

Nej Adamson b. 1958

Andrew Johnson b. 1955

Shreela Ghosh b. 1962

Johnnie Clayton b. ?????

Harry Fielder b. 1940

Jane Slaughter b.??????

• Like 3

Isn't the guy who played Dead Reg himself dead now? Sure I heard that somewhere.

Just now, msc said:

Isn't the guy who played Dead Reg himself dead now? Sure I heard that somewhere.

See I thought that too, but I couldn't find anything in a brief search.

27 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

See I thought that too, but I couldn't find anything in a brief search.

Johnnie Clayton who played Reg if that’s right word considering he was dead and never uttered a word is long dead he died in 1992. 

As as for the next original EastEnders star to die will go for Bill Treacher 88 now and in bad health 

• Like 1

I AM HOLDING BACK THE  TEARS RIGHT NOW. I never thought I would take this news so badly, but he was such a tragic figure. I can't help but sympathise and feel sorry for him. RIP to an absolute soap legend!

9 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Not sure who is going to be next Bill Treacher?

Probably him but Leonard Fenton is the oldest so could be him.

Susan Tully looks rough these days and Adam Woodcott looks pregnant and a lot older than he is.

Dobson Altman Slaughter Tallyforth and Pete Dean all look good for their ages and well.Leticia Dean is on the larger side now but looks healthy otherwise.

I always forget that June Brown wasn't an original cast member.

13 minutes ago, Fergie86 said:

. As as for the next original EastEnders star to die will go for Bill Treacher 88 now and in bad health 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I always forget that June Brown wasn't an original cast member.

Mary the punk wasn't in the first episode either. Thought she was.

On 15/06/2018 at 16:59, Sean said:

Susan Tully looks rough these days and Adam Woodcott looks pregnant and a lot older than he is.

There’s a few former EE regulars worth consideration, top of the list I think is Elizabeth Kelly b. 1921, played Nellie Ellis from 1993-95. Also Harry Landis b.1931, used to play Felix Kawalski, he did make a couple of hilarious guest appearances on Friday Night Dinner a few years back as Nan’s boyfriend 

On 15/06/2018 at 16:59, Sean said:

That age logic didn’t really work out for Leslie Grantham though did it?!

I’m thinking Malcolm Hebden as the next big soap death. Greatly exaggerated rumours of his demise earlier in the year and surely no smoke without fire and has been on a sabbatical from Corrie ever since......

Sandy Ratcliffe who played original joint cafe owner Sue Osman is a possibility worth considering as she has a very chequered, past including former drug addiction if I remember right which might now all these years down the line catch up with her healthwise. 

3 hours ago, Dead Wait said:

I’m thinking Malcolm Hebden as the next big soap death. Greatly exaggerated rumours of his demise earlier in the year and surely no smoke without fire and has been on a sabbatical from Corrie ever since......

In terms of Corrie I'd be tempted to guess Eilleen Derbyshire. 

Emmerdale - I'd say Sheila Mercier or Paula Tilbrook. 

I haven't overly delved into the list of surviving actors from the original Crossroads or Howard's way but could be some gems to choose in there too. 

3 hours ago, Dead Wait said:

Could be Malcolm or Eileen Derbyshire both been off screen a long time.Julie Goodyears lungs must be dodgy by now.Also Thelma Barlow is 89 now.Kenneth Cope has been ill a long time now.Also Bruce Jones has been self destructing for years and is 65 now. also Mark Eden is 90.

Emeraldale wise Sheila Mercier is 99 and Freddie Jones left earlier this year at 90.Paula Tilbrook is 88 and has been retired a while now.Also Jane Cox although only 66 is very overweight now.Andy Device is getting on a bit now and hasn't been in much lately.

Eastenders wise Treacher seems the obvious name as well as Leonard Fenton June Brown Anna Karen and Barbara Windsor. Elaine London and Daniella Westbrook seem to be self destructing.Derek Martin is 85 now and hasn't been on TV since leaving Eastenders.

In the Archers you have loads of low hanging fruit.June Spencer is 99 Ysanne Churchman is 93 Edward Kersey is 88 Patricia Green is 87 Lesley Seaward is 84 and Mona Hammond also of Eastenders fame is in her late eighties.Also Margaret Jackman must be getting on now 

In Neighbours you have Ian Smith who is obese and nearing 80.

• Like 1

I still see Derek Martin regularly as he shop's at the supermarket by our workplace. He's doing alright, looks the same and drives and walks fine by himself. He's retired from acting. 

• Like 3

Whilst looking up Amanda Barrie, it appears she had a relationship with Heather Chason at some point who played the fabulously bitchy Valerie Pollard in Crossroads.

Heather is now 90 so one to watch perhaps????

• Like 3

Report of the death of Terry Dyddgen-Jones, a director of episodes of Coronation Street, EastEnders, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks.

Only director to have directed for soaps on BBC1, ITV and Channel 4 perhaps? Unless you know different...

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0245643/