Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

On 11/09/2022 at 03:37, Youth in Asia said:

Nobody seems to be reading the hundreds of pre-prepared articles British media have been uploading. The big news now is the massive Ukrainian counter attack that could spell the end of the war. Sadly I think the Queen's domination of the headlines is already over after a couple of days.

image.jpeg.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w172z09h7fzsn4x

• Like 1

I wonder if the BBC would ever get to a position where they are unable to replay clips of the announcement of the Queen's death? One of the biggest announcements/news stories of the last decade or more, and yet all future documentaries/retrospectives will have to include Mary Nightingale (ITN) or Dan Walker (Channel 5)  

22 minutes ago, NJD123 said:

I wonder if the BBC would ever get to a position where they are unable to replay clips of the announcement of the Queen's death? One of the biggest announcements/news stories of the last decade or more, and yet all future documentaries/retrospectives will have to include Mary Nightingale (ITN) or Dan Walker (Channel 5)  

Just think of all those quality episodes of This Morning they will never be able to repeat or feature.

Puts the current situation into perspective… 

1 hour ago, NJD123 said:

BdEIqiuCcAE_ZHR.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=d378b

1 hour ago, NJD123 said:

That would be silly.  I don't understand this obsession with erasing all mention of people who have incurred public disapproval.  Revision of history. 

• Like 2

They would just use the BBC radio announcement over a picture of the Queen or footage of the  crowds. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

They would just use the BBC radio announcement over a picture of the Queen or footage of the  crowds. 

The flag at Buckingham Palace going to half-mast just before the announcement is the abiding image.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toast said:

The flag at Buckingham Palace going to half-mast just before the announcement is the abiding image.

Then they would dub the two together. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Charles marks the one-year anniversary jubilee  mark of her death, and what a year it was!
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/king-charles-thanks-public-their-love-he-marks-death-late-mother-queen-elizabeth-2023-09-07/

Edit: Yes, yes, it might also belong in the Death Anniversary thread...but we didn't get to 200 pages!

• Like 2

On 10/09/2022 at 11:15, DCI Frank Burnside said:

I bet they can't bee-leive it

Hope the bees are bearing up alright. Thoughts with them today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Hope the bees are bearing up alright. Thoughts with them today.

Only the Queen bee might remember (from queen to queen), the workers never knew her as their life expectancy is less than a year:

https://www.orkin.com/pests/stinging-pests/bees/honey-bees/honey-bee-life-span

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

An interesting video about the day the Queen died.

And yet, despite in all likelihood knowing what she died of (beyond old age), nobody is willing to say so on the record other than that socialite/biographer. Would have expected a mention here, but nope!

• Like 1

Lady Prue Penn, a close friend of Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret, dead at 97. Spoke to the Queen on the phone just 10 days before she died.

Also a lady-in-waiting to the Queen Mother.

Telegraph obit.

TELEMMGLPICT000357576644_17006766855370_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq5cyDyMsj4xKS8DJIx-RVFWQnZJIETfWB_fUbKb77n0w.jpeg.f877b9acdd793b86f4a304a020a8ae1d.jpegTELEMMGLPICT000357553191_17006767525550_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqPbPiJufZwY0ug2_XIzyrtqRsAaQdEFlZELz4aQ-VPCw.jpeg.93254c84b203b219156c321a8975a9f1.jpeg

• Like 6

I can see Hollywood making a biopic of her and race swapping her. 
Make her fucking gay!!

Watched the panderverse episode of South Park. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Facepalm 3

13 minutes ago, Fridaythe13th said:

I can see Hollywood making a biopic of her and race swapping her. 
Make her fucking gay!!

Watched the panderverse episode of South Park. 

Netflix are already on it:

queen-elizabeth-netflix-adaptation-meme.jpg.d9749d5cdd0792550e9813bc3f4b939d.jpg

17 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Lady Prue Penn, a close friend of Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret, dead at 97. Spoke to the Queen on the phone just 10 days before she died.

Also a lady-in-waiting to the Queen Mother.

Telegraph obit.

TELEMMGLPICT000357576644_17006766855370_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq5cyDyMsj4xKS8DJIx-RVFWQnZJIETfWB_fUbKb77n0w.jpeg.f877b9acdd793b86f4a304a020a8ae1d.jpegTELEMMGLPICT000357553191_17006767525550_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqPbPiJufZwY0ug2_XIzyrtqRsAaQdEFlZELz4aQ-VPCw.jpeg.93254c84b203b219156c321a8975a9f1.jpeg

Was she the late Queen’s last living friend from her youth? Lady Myra Butter died last year and Lady Rupert Nevill passed in January. 

3 hours ago, bfc said:

Was she the late Queen’s last living friend from her youth? Lady Myra Butter died last year and Lady Rupert Nevill passed in January. 

Anne Tennant, Baroness Glenconner is still alive at age 91. I imagine some others might be, too.

On 26/09/2022 at 22:55, YoungWillz said:

The surviving maids of honour are:

Lady Rosemary Muir (b. 1929)

Lady Jane Rayne-Lacey (b. 1932)

Lady Jane Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby (b. 1934)

Lady Anne Tennant, Baroness Glenconner (b. 1932)

Just in case anyone fancies a punt.

8 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Anne Tennant, Baroness Glenconner is still alive at age 91. I imagine some others might be, too.

All the ones mentioned in my earlier post appear to be still thieving oxygen.

• Facepalm 1

The later three in particular had a big age gap with the Queen. She likely was not that close to them growing up.  

• Like 1

I forgot about Lady Pamela Hicks, now 94 and the last surviving adult bridesmaid from her wedding. Princess Alexandra was 10 at the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Is this the first bullshit book about her death or have I missed one?  Queen Elizabeth died peacefully and without pain, book says - BBC News

Gyles Brandreth wrote one last year when he reported her cancer diagnosis. (And it was published before the coronation which he was invited to so the Palace can’t have been annoyed by it,) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Gyles Brandreth wrote one last year when he reported her cancer diagnosis. (And it was published before the coronation which he was invited to so the Palace can’t have been annoyed by it,) 

Does not count. Given his history. According to Gyles he was probably there at the birth of QEI, as well as the death of QEII.  

• Like 2