Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

On 09/10/2022 at 22:12, Windsor said:

Looks more like Princess Margaret in my opinion. Had she lived...

Spent hours Googling (or maybe I just exaggerated that) and I can't find a picture of Jeanette Charles and Princess Margaret together, just sayin' - far be it from me to start the obvious rumour! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, theoldlady said:

I wonder how many of us here have family and friends who actually know about this site and about how much many of us read and post things here? This is a secret hobby for me. 

I talk to my parents about the list sometimes and they sometimes point out celebs who look to them ill or rough who they say should be on the list but I don’t tell them I take part in pools.

• Like 4

Mrs msc knows about the DL and DDP. A few years ago, when I was getting checked for cancer, I wondered what would happen if I was to die and she said: "Don't worry, I'll let your fellow weirdos know." See, she cares. :lol:

She is quite chill about the DDP but there's a few names I'm officially not allowed to pick (Yoko, Billy Connolly, etc) for a quiet life.

I also read her the top 50 each New Year's Day for her amusement, and it often leads to a chorus of "they're not dead yet?" from her.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, theoldlady said:

I wonder how many of us here have family and friends who actually know about this site and about how much many of us read and post things here? This is a secret hobby for me. 

I run a (very) small pool among friends, there are three of us to be precise. This is only the second year, however. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, theoldlady said:

I've never told people close to me I'm visiting this site or participating in pools, however I am often the one who breaks the news of famous people's deaths to family and friends. If I'd tell someone about the DL, it'd probably be my partner and maybe some friends.

• Like 5

My parents know I have an interest in who just died and elderly celebrities (like one time circa 2018, my dad found out Nehemiah Persoff was still alive and he asked me if I knew about him, naturally I did) but not that I deadpool.

Did tell my girlfriend about my deadpool side months back and she was mainly just happy the community here supported my coming out!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, msc said:

Mrs msc knows about the DL and DDP. A few years ago, when I was getting checked for cancer, I wondered what would happen if I was to die and she said: "Don't worry, I'll let your fellow weirdos know." See, she cares. :lol:

She is quite chill about the DDP but there's a few names I'm officially not allowed to pick (Yoko, Billy Connolly, etc) for a quiet life.

I also read her the top 50 each New Year's Day for her amusement, and it often leads to a chorus of "they're not dead yet?" from her.

I'm getting checked for that soon, too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Good luck, then!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

My parents know I have an interest in who just died and elderly celebrities (like one time circa 2018, my dad found out Nehemiah Persoff was still alive and he asked me if I knew about him, naturally I did) but not that I deadpool.

Did tell my girlfriend about my deadpool side months back and she was mainly just happy the community here supported my coming out!

Weird correlation, why are so many people who follow old people dying gay? Here there are quite a few members, and the 110 club took a poll and only 2 or 3 members WEREN'T gay.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, theoldlady said:

An old school friend of mine knows about this website and he knows I know about it, but not sure if he knows I post on it (we don't talk anymore). My mum occasionally comes out with things which makes me wonder if she knows but I have never dared ask her. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, theoldlady said:

My husband knows about the DL, of course, but doesn't think it's that good, rather macabre.

Some friends also know about it and have divided opinions. This varies between incomprehension and fascination. However, I am also asked from time to time whether I had XY, who recently died, on my team, hah hah.

• Like 4

I remember mentioning deadpooling IRL to a relative of mine after Stan Lee's death. They had absolutely no clue what I was talking about, and clearly assumed I was babbling nonsense. So that was probably the first and last time.

Given that I manage a few entertainment sites, I've occasionally ran deadpools on them to moderate success. There are a few users who hate them for being morbid and look down on me a little for doing them. Too bad for me then!

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, DaDeathGuy said:

Weird correlation, why are so many people who follow old people dying gay? Here there are quite a few members, and the 110 club took a poll and only 2 or 3 members WEREN'T gay.

Marginalised individuals usually try to find a sense of community who will accept them anywhere they can find it. Whether that be in gay clubs, Tumblr, Daniel Howell's fandom (everyone is a lesbian it seems) or this website. Usually those people don't realise how queer they are until they actually realise, look at what things they listened to or watched while a teenager and then be "no wonder I was trans, gay, bisexual etc".

Bisexual checking in and was deep in the Glee fandom on Tumblr. A the time in 2011 not many people came out. Ten years later everyone I am friends with there is gay or trans. I know of at least one lesbian marriage thanks to meeting via Tumblr as well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Fingers crossed for you, milord.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, theoldlady said:

I heard a couple of my friends discussing it as though they were regulars.

I said nothing…

• Like 4

7 hours ago, theoldlady said:

All seven of my ex-wives found out about it (might have had something to do with my interrupting passionate sex to note down picks for forthcoming pools!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

All seven of my ex-wives found out about it (might have had something to do with my interrupting passionate sex to note down picks for forthcoming pools!)

Interrupting sex to note people like Roger Taylor, Dick van Dyke, Hugh Jackman, Matt Bomer…..?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Talkative Finn said:

Now, to get back to the topic (more or less), the date for next coronation has now been set.

That is more a topic for the Charles III thread

• Like 2

Will there be some kind of memorial service for the late Queen next year or sooner? Like the one Philip got? Or was that due to covid restrictions at his funeral?

• Like 1

I wonder if anybody of our successors will be counting in some time around 2140  when the last subject of the Queen dies like this website did for the last Victorian and is about to do for the last Edwardian. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I wonder if anybody of our successors will be counting in some time around 2140  when the last subject of the Queen dies like this website did for the last Victorian and is about to do for the last Edwardian. 

I'm not sure the human race makes it that far. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Talkative Finn said:

Will there be some kind of memorial service for the late Queen next year or sooner? Like the one Philip got? Or was that due to covid restrictions at his funeral?

Pretty sure it was to make up for the lack of a funeral. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

I'm not sure the human race makes it that far. 

On the other hand, by then they might have discovered the secret of immortality, or at least how to greatly extend the human lifespan. Would there still be death pools in a world where the average person lived to be 250?

• Like 5