And finally, some of the biggest stadium concerts in the world.

No thanks! Stadium gigs are bad enough as it is. I like to feel as though I'm at least in the same county as the band.

And getting away at the end would be horrific.

• Like 1

More than double the size of the Maracana at it's biggest :lol:

You Sir, are an idiot.

For the record, I think the old Hampden holds a good few records, and even then it was @135,000 for a European Cup semi and @150,000 for an en@land game.

Even with safe standing, you'd have a site at least 2/3 times the size of the Nou Camp. There would be safety issues with half a million people and X amount of exits, also the height needed so each seat could have sight of the pitch. Also, I really doubt there's the demand. England can't even sell out Wembley with Brazil yet, let alone over 5 times the number of seats.

Part of the reason it never sells out is it's such a trek to get to from half the county, the half that's more into football.

No-one remember the White Horse Final at the Old Wembley, apparently the numbers bandied about for that event were up to 300,000. If the product is interesting enough it'd attract the crowds. The best way to deal with the safety issues would be an underground transport hub incorporating trains to link up to the several different major stations, and the car parking, coaches and walking exists being above the ground. Build it somewhere reasonably rural and it'd be fine. Make the games un-televised as they should be and it would sell out for most England matches.

That's a different argument.

A Stirling Albion v Brechin game 25 years ago on a wednesday night would've blacked out a Liverpool v man u game.

Salad days, and I long for their return.

That's a different argument.

A Stirling Albion v Brechin game 25 years ago on a wednesday night would've blacked out a Liverpool v man u game.

Salad days, and I long for their return.

Your phrasing but a bit odd, but if you're arguing for a move towards better restrictions on TV of footy I agree. From next season some weekends will have at a guess:

Friday Evening 19:45

Saturday 12.30pm & 5.30pm

Sunday 12:00pm, 14:30, 17:00

Monday: 19:45

That's 8 out of 10 matches in a weekly cycle scheduled at telly times, leaving two at the traditional 3pm Saturday time that can't be televised. Not to mention that one of those weekends could easily have a CL match on the Tuesday and Europa match on the Wednesday - or even just rescheduled matches from cup clashes?

You're talking EPL.....

Blackouts were UK wide in the good old days.

So a fifth time rearranged Scottish Cup tie at Arbroath on a Monday night, would at short notice kill the Monday night game.

Any Scottish game on a Wednesday would kill CL coverage.

That's the way it was with bsb and skys early coverage.

Won't happen.

Sevco 5008 trying there hardest to put themselves back in a terrible financial situation by signing Joey Barton. His wage demand will be astrinomical and the club will be constantly fined because he is below average low intelligence. Fingers crossed he signs

You Sir, are an idiot.

For the record, I think the old Hampden holds a good few records, and even then it was @135,000 for a European Cup semi and @150,000 for an en@land game.

I agree, for something of that size in the centre of the country would require levelling huge swathes of Birmingham. Ooh, hang on....... :scratchhead:

You Sir, are an idiot.

I agree, for something of that size in the centre of the country would require levelling huge swathes of Birmingham. Ooh, hang on....... :scratchhead:

I would have preferred that the capacity of the new Wembley stadium would have been built to seat exactly 100,000 crowd. When you get to any larger size the guys at the back just can't see enough detail in how players are showing any silky skills. Only crowd that gets to a mega size is the Indy 500. Mega Speed and 2 and and a half mile track circuit points to the well designed capacity of about 250,000 fans. Thus 500k round a football pitch would be crazy. Still a quarter of that figure, 125,000 properly seated would still be half crazy but just doable for a World Cup final match.

In other news Maidstone United - i.e. the team that rose from the bankrupt ashes of the outfit that went bust and left the Football League - are now back amongst professional opposition having snagged promotion via penalties and risen to the fifth tier National League. They face trips to Barrow and Gateshead to test their currently robust finances but also expect mucho debate about 3G pitches (cos they have one and it earns a few bob for 40 odd hours a week of useage).

And Edinburgh City have won promotion to the fourth tier of the Scottish Professional Football League, beating East Stirlingshire 2-1 on aggregate in the playoff. The question in the capital now is which club will get to the Premiership first - City or Hibs?

And Edinburgh City have won promotion to the fourth tier of the Scottish Professional Football League, beating East Stirlingshire 2-1 on aggregate in the playoff. The question in the capital now is which club will get to the Premiership first - City or Hibs?

And will "The Shire" ever recover?

Sevco 5008 trying there hardest to put themselves back in a terrible financial situation by signing Joey Barton. His wage demand will be astrinomical and the club will be constantly fined because he is below average low intelligence. Fingers crossed he signs

He will be a fabulous signing for them. I last saw him in a QPR shirt when they played us at the lane. Hugely skillful, ice cool and a real leader on the pitch. His reputation has completely overshadowed the fact that he is bloody good. He will piss it up there.

£13k is the weekly wage on offer I hear, doubt he will take it.

Though he would fit them like a glove.

Old Trafford getting evacuated over a security alert.

Now imagine that in a 500,000 stadium.....

• Like 3

"Suspect package" found at Old Trafford. Van Gaal's new contract?

• Like 1

Packet of unwanted season tickets for next year?

Packet of unwanted season tickets for next year?

Granny fanny DVD for Wayne Rooney

• Like 1

Oh aye, and with Arsenal a few minutes away from finishing second - will Wenger cruise into next season in the dugout?

Wouldn't be massively different, you'd evacuate the stands in turn if necessary (only two stands were evacuated at Old Trafford today). Stadiums are built so that fans can get out quickly with fans going to their nearest exists.

Wouldn't be massively different, you'd evacuate the stands in turn if necessary (only two stands were evacuated at Old Trafford today). Stadiums are built so that fans can get out quickly with fans going to their nearest exists.

It would be 6.6 times different. 6.6 times the people, stewards, cars ... pies.

• Like 1

Aye but presumably they were the two stands closest to 'the bomb'; what would happen if a half-million-seater stadium received a phone call saying there's a bomb but we're not going to tell you where it is?

If I remember correct, any plane (small or massive) has to be able to evacuate everyone on board in 90 seconds using only half the number of its doors, else it doesn't get to fly. I'm not saying you should be able to evacuate a stadium in that time under those conditions but the bigger the stadium, the longer it takes with the sheer number of people involved and thereby the potential for a far greater number of casualties.

• Like 1

Aye but presumably they were the two stands closest to 'the bomb'; what would happen if a half-million-seater stadium received a phone call saying there's a bomb but we're not going to tell you where it is?

If I remember correct, any plane (small or massive) has to be able to evacuate everyone on board in 90 seconds using only half the number of its doors, else it doesn't get to fly. I'm not saying you should be able to evacuate a stadium in that time under those conditions but the bigger the stadium, the longer it takes with the sheer number of people involved and thereby the potential for a far greater number of casualties.

In your scenario of not knowing where the stands are you'd do an end-of-match style full-stadium evacuation. Fans tend to leave pretty quickly, so you try to get them to treat the situation as leaving whilst reminding them of the serious, if people start rushing you get crush asphyxiation, which dependent on the reality of the threat could be a worse outcome than no evacuation.

You will be aware from my earlier reply that the evacuation time for any

sports ground is dependent largely on the level of fire risk present. For

a low fire risk seated area the emergency evacuation time for all

spectators to reach a place of safety or reasonable safety should be no

more than eight minutes. For a higher risk seated area the emergency

evacuation time to reach a place of safety or a place of safety or

reasonable safety should be no more than two and a half minutes. The

characteristics of areas likely to be considered low, normal and higher

risk are set out in Chapter 15 of the Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds

which may be accessed via the publications section of our website

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/all_seater_evacuation_times

[1]www.flaweb.org.uk. A place of safety is defined as:

But back to more relevant matters. With the FA Cup Final at the weekend and the Euros starting soon after, not to mention the result not having much material difference to the league positions, the best solution all round would be for the match to be awarded to Utd.