I really hope the Scots do it. Particularly if England don't.

I was too young to remember 1978, but I loved it when the Irish were at USA '94... :lol:

I wanna see those St Andrews flags from Inverness to Gretna...

Scotland -v- Italy, there is a really palpable feeling of nervousness in Scotland at the moment, excitement yes, but we fear, going by our history, that we we will be glorious losers yet again, if we win it will be our equivalent of winning the World Cup and Scotland will erupt into a frenzy of celebration only seen before at the end of the two World Wars, if we lose well "Wha's like us, gey few, an' their aw' deid', plus it was " 'at diddy Euro Cup anyway, bring on yon World wan, we can dae rat, nae borra'".

We'll still be partying in the streets like VE day only this time with the Italians.

I would very much like the Scots to make it, I think they can.

This is not a sentiment that is generally reciprocated!

As for the wild celebrations, should your valiant soldiers pull off the once unthinkable, would this be an excuse for you, LG and the Bear to lose another week, what with all that booze you will both consume? :lol:

Scotland -v- Italy, there is a really palpable feeling of nervousness in Scotland at the moment, excitement yes, but we fear, going by our history, that we we will be glorious losers yet again, if we win it will be our equivalent of winning the World Cup and Scotland will erupt into a frenzy of celebration only seen before at the end of the two World Wars, if we lose well "Wha's like us, gey few, an' their aw' deid', plus it was " 'at diddy Euro Cup anyway, bring on yon World wan, we can dae rat, nae borra'".

We'll still be partying in the streets like VE day only this time with the Italians.

I would very much like the Scots to make it, I think they can.

This is not a sentiment that is generally reciprocated!

As for the wild celebrations, should your valiant soldiers pull off the once unthinkable, would this be an excuse for you, LG and the Bear to lose another week, what with all that booze you will both consume? :lol:

According to FIFA, Scotland are not quite the underdogs they think they are.

I really hope the Scots do it. Particularly if England don't.

I was too young to remember 1978, but I loved it when the Irish were at USA '94... :o

I wanna see those St Andrews flags from Inverness to Gretna...

Thanks tmib, much appreciated, sadly I am not too young to remember Argentina '78, the vision of Andy Cameron on Top of the Pops singing 'Ally's Tartan Army' scarred my generation mentally for life :lol: .

Those flags are indeed flying all over the country, I even saw one today hanging in the window of our local DSS offices (on the second floor naturally, in case any of their clients got ideas about nicking it), maybe there are humans working there after all. Friday 16th was a 'wear a Scotland top to work day' up here, those that didn't have one wore tartan, scsi wore tartan trousers and on the premise that he is bad luck to any team whose football top he wears, he wore an Italian top, hope it works!

LFN: Thanks for your support, I am sure the sentiments are reciprocated :lol: , I may be persuaded to have a glass or two of lemonade tomorrow evening. As for losing a week? Try a month, if we win :o !!!

Two stupid bloody goals!!!!

Thats all that kept you from drinking the bars of Austria and Switzerland dry.

A financial catastrophe for those two nations.

No Ginger wigs, Kilts, gurning into cameras, no Rab C Nesbitt impersonators. No nothing.

Instead we MAY ( dependant on result) have the pleasure of seeing England supporters belting out " Eng-er-land" while honking up everywhere, spending vast sums on the local Toms and picking fights with all and sundry.

Never mind.

Can I add my sympathies to the Scots; better behaved fans than the English, some real sense of passion and cohesion in the team and - frankly - a tougher group by some degree. Against the 'might' of England, Russia and Croatia I think Scotland would have gone through. I'm not the only one wondering if - in the event of a capitulation against Croatia this week - the FA might look north for the next boss. Don't think McLeish is the kind of turncoat who'd consider that move, though.

Gutted, sick as the proverbial parrot.

Italian players, Spanish officials, I'm sure there's a connection in there somewhere. Ah well...................... Roll on the world cup 2010 :lol:

I might have a shred of sympathy for the Jocks if they'd climb down for just a moment from their relentless, "We hate everything about England" bandwagon. Are they still mad about William Wallace and all that? As far as I understand it, the English tax payers help subsidize the Scots' very existence, they get their own parliament and still get to not only be part of the British government, they're allowed to be in charge, and if England's not in a football tournament but the Scots are, a fair chunk of English fans will support the Scottish team. And some of them want to secede from the UK? Don't let the door to Hadrian's Wall hit you on the a$$ on your way out, fellas.

Bunch of haggis-eating, snivelling whingers, imho.

*Dons caber-proof helmet*

I might have a shred of sympathy for the Jocks if they'd climb down for just a moment from their relentless, "We hate everything about England" bandwagon. Are they still mad about William Wallace and all that? As far as I understand it, the English tax payers help subsidize the Scots' very existence, they get their own parliament and still get to not only be part of the British government, they're allowed to be in charge, and if England's not in a football tournament but the Scots are, a fair chunk of English fans will support the Scottish team. And some of them want to secede from the UK? Don't let the door to Hadrian's Wall hit you on the a$$ on your way out, fellas.

Bunch of haggis-eating, snivelling whingers, imho.

*Dons caber-proof helmet*

Only an Englishman would say that

*Gets out huge axe to cut down a large caber *

Shock-a-rama in the FA Cup - out go Leeds (in the 1st rd!!!!!) to lowly Hereford, out go Carlisle to lowly Grimsby and out go The Chuckle Brothers FC to lowly Forest Green. And we haven't even got to the big boys yet.... :lol:

World Cup 2010 Qualifying Draw on the 25th Nov by the way. No doubt again England will get an easy group & Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland & the Republic get the worst away trips again.....

Yeah, we've celebrated our demolition of Leeds and clear top spot with our worst league performance in ages at Luton - I was there, it was a shite 0-0 draw - followed by two cup exits to League Two sides. To be fair we hit the woodwork three times against Sotckport in the JPT Trophy, wasn't there last night, but we rattled the posts again as we got to 270 minutes without a goal.

Spare a thought for Barrow, pegged back at Bournemouth in the last minute and sent crashing out with a 120th minute goal.

World Cup 2010 Qualifying Draw on the 25th Nov by the way. No doubt again England will get an easy group & Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland & the Republic get the worst away trips again.....

England always get "easy" groups because, as a consistent qualifier for the major tournaments they are normally a number one seed, thereby avoiding all the other number one seeds. The rest of the Union countries, who fail to qualify most of the time (or always, in the case of Wales), are typically seeded two or worse, thereby always drawing a one seed. Having said that, it was especially tough on the Jocks having the two recent World Cup finalists in their EC 2008 qualifying group. But remember, the seedings are made by UEFA, the same geniuses who have Greece (14th in FIFA rankings), Switzerland (41st) and Austria (88th!) as number one seeds at the European Championships next summer.

England always get "easy" groups because, as a consistent qualifier for the major tournaments they are normally a number one seed, thereby avoiding all the other number one seeds. The rest of the Union countries, who fail to qualify most of the time (or always, in the case of Wales), are typically seeded two or worse, thereby always drawing a one seed. Having said that, it was especially tough on the Jocks having the two recent World Cup finalists in their EC 2008 qualifying group. But remember, the seedings are made by UEFA, the same geniuses who have Greece (14th in FIFA rankings), Switzerland (41st) and Austria (88th!) as number one seeds at the European Championships next summer.

I think you'll find that partly to do with the fact Greece are reigning European champions. And what a glorious result that was. With la Suisse and Austria hosting, I think that sort of explains the genii of UEFA.

Could be wrong.

Spare a thought for Barrow, pegged back at Bournemouth in the last minute and sent crashing out with a 120th minute goal.

Saw the action on my local news- what a palaver from start to finish - there was a bust-up between the home players about who would take the penalty! Yes, Barrow were unlucky not to beat Reading Reserves (we have 5 players on loan there - plus one recent ex-RFC'er), but they shouldn't give silly penalties away at a crucial stage.

Bolivia did a Barrow type collapse. 3-1 up with 6 minutes to go away at Venezuela, they ended up losing 5-3. To all those Bolivian football fans on the DL, my thoughts are with you tonight. :lol:

Shock-a-rama in the FA Cup - out go Leeds (in the 1st rd!!!!!) to lowly Hereford, out go Carlisle to lowly Grimsby and out go The Chuckle Brothers FC to lowly Forest Green. And we haven't even got to the big boys yet.... :angry:

...in which they'll completely fail to get out of!

:lol:

*awaiting the excuses for Englands goalkeeper* :angry:

None offered HCW, although, I believe, his Grandfather was Scottish. :lol:

Just thought, it bloody would be with a surname of Carson!

If any one of those England players other than Crouch has the front to pick up his wages ALL the money should be given to a charity helping the feckless, underachieving and/or hopelessly confused. To be fair, Beckham had some inspired moments too. So you can - just about - spare him the punishement the others deserve.

Mclaren is a f*****g disgrace, and he'll go in the next two days. The one consolation from this sorry and avoidable exit is that we'll get a new boss sooner rather than later. Frankly, the Scots performed better in the same competition and I'll go by my the earlier post, in our group they'd have qualified.

England always get "easy" groups because, as a consistent qualifier for the major tournaments they are normally a number one seed

Not any more they're not qualifiers, consistent or not. :angry:

Also tonight's abject display has caused even more problems than the 2008 non-qualification - they won't be a top seed.

The seeding is based on the FIFA rankings & with Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Portugal, the Czech Republic & crucially, tonight, Croatia being the top 8 seeds going through for qualification - England will be a 2nd seed along with Romania, Greece, Russia, Poland, Sweden and.... Scotland.

Only the group winners qualify automatically too.

Northern Ireland's fine performance will put them in the 3rd seeds - a phenomal achievement really - along with Republic of Ireland, Denmark, Serbia, Ukraine etc.

Wales are 4th seeds along with the likes of Belgium who have fallen far & Cyprus who have made great ground up - Austria are 6th seeds, along with Liechenstein - what a disaster for them!

England better pray it's say Holland, them, Israel, Cyprus, Latvia, Azerbaijan, Faeroes

The Group of Death would be Italy, England, Turkey, Switzerland, Georgia, Austria, Montenegro which makes me wince just looking at it.

Would be nice if it was Croatia, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Albania, Malta, San Marino but me thinks I live in hope....

*awaiting the excuses for Englands goalkeeper* :angry:

None offered HCW, although, I believe, his Grandfather was Scottish. :lol:

Just thought, it bloody would be with a surname of Carson!

When you add the involvement of an individual with the surname 'McLaren', a sinister pattern begins to emerge....

When you add the involvement of an individual with the surname 'McLaren', a sinister pattern begins to emerge....

Not just that - Campbell is a VERY Scottish name, whilst another defender rejoices in the name of LeSCOT.

:angry:

And guess who was the best performing team in the whole qualification....that's right: Greece! :angry:

10 wins in 12 matches. One defeat.

England will be lucky if they're in the same pot as Scotland, that means they wont meet each other..

If anything, it'll better if England are in a tougher group, they might get round to raising their game, like Norn Iron and

Scotland did.

Is the World Cup draw on TV?

Don't think so - can't find it on the schedules - which is odd, considering it's Sunday, and there's f**k all else on...

Don't think so - can't find it on the schedules - which is odd, considering it's Sunday, and there's f**k all else on...

The Euro draw wont be on either, now that England are out!

I wonder how seriously the TV companies will take Euro 2008?

They reduced Euro 84 to mostly highlights and it turned out to be one of the best tournments ever...