Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

St. Lucia's Prime Minister Sir John Compton, died last night at the age of 82.

Lets hope for a decent obit so I can get some points on CPDP.

Actually, he's on your theme team, so that obit is good enough, and so is the IHT one.

Regarding Watkins' death, first of all, it's a huge shame as this was a man of unspeakable bravery, and who served his country in so many other roles. He was doing very well, health wise, but like many other elderly people succumbed after a fall.

I would have thought Tul Bahahdur Pun or ECT Wilson would've died before Watkins. :D

Secondly, another footballing death to report, Helmut Senekowitsch, first a long-time international player, including at World Cups, then a top coach for Austria, has died, at the age of 73.

Again, it just goes to show how difficult footballers can be for death pools. The likes of Gil Merrick, Francisco Varallo, Phil Taylor & Nat Lofthouse carry on fine, then the likes of Deeley & Senekowitsch drop at the age of 73. Ah well.

Alex the parrot is dead at 31.You can make donations towards the cost of his funeral on that site if you want.

Alex the parrot is dead at 31.You can make donations towards the cost of his funeral on that site if you want.

this should be in the animal antics thread

Canadian actor Percy Rodriguez has died at 83.He did many voicover trails for movies-perhaps his most famous being the Jaws franchise.

Lord Pratt

"He will also be remembered as an unabashed snob and social interloper on a grand scale"

John Robertson, cartoonist, creator of "The Bash Street Kids" has died aged 87.

:rip: Respect! Thanks for keeping me and thousands of others entertained throughout our childhood years!

No it weren't it were Leo Baxendale!

:unsure:

Remember, if you will, a while back, there was major unrest in Guinea, and this heaped much mental pain on Lansana Conte, as well as physical pain. Well, his main rival & architect of the unrest & protests against Conte was General Kerfalla Camara.

Conte will be a bit happier in his bed tonight knowing that Camara has lost his flash.

Ian Porterfield, ex-football player and manager, dead at 61. Poor Canadian Paul, yet ANOTHER person selected on the CPDP dying in the first month.

Ian Porterfield, ex-football player and manager, dead at 61. Poor Canadian Paul, yet ANOTHER person selected on the CPDP dying in the first month.

This is dreadfully sad, but hardly unexpected news, as the report from the UEFA.com site I posted on here on the weekend didn't bode well, as it took a lot to stop Porterfield working. He did look dreadful in the last photo I saw of him.

What a shame he should die whilst the country he was coaching, Armenia, were making real steps forward.

It's a CPDP hit for me (and others), but I take no satisfaction for this.

He was a decent man and served Reading FC with great effort & passion as a player & manager, and will of course be remembered as one of Sunderland's greats - we play each other on Saturday, so I suspect there will be a raptorous one minute's applause in his memory.

:huh: Ian.

OoO, will you manage one minute of applause purely on your memories of a Reading legend, or will your thoughts stray to CPDP points?

OoO, will you manage one minute of applause purely on your memories of a Reading legend, or will your thoughts stray to CPDP points?

Read the above post for my opinion on CPDP points.

He wasn't a Reading legend, but anyone who serves the club as player and as manager deserves rightful recognition. He wasn't, in truth, either the greatest player we ever had (he came to us at the end of his playing career) or the greatest manager (a drink-driving conviction saw him sacked).

In fact, signing Craig Maskell from Southampton nearly sent the club bust! But he did sign Mick Gooding, a Reading legend, and although results were erratic, and communication with the board was non-existent(!)... believe it or not, he was a hard-working, hard-trying boss who didn't shirk responsibility & helped, after the Maskell fiasco, to keep the club afloat, until John Madejski arrived in town shortly after Porterfield was sacked.

Let's not forget too, that he was an ex-Chelsea manager, had spells at Rotherham, Sheffield United & Aberdeen, was instrumental in Trindad & Tobago's rapid rise up the footballing ladder, and spent 4 years continuing to play football in the top-flight after getting a fractured skull in a car crash.

On top of all that, he was the coach that was in charge of Zambia when they had that plane crash that wiped out the whole squad. He took them within an inch of qualifying for the 1994 World Cup despite it.

So, without a doubt, he is, or was, I suppose now, a man I greatly respected, despite his tenure at Elm Park being.. rubbish.. and I do, genuially mourn his death.

Couldn't give a sh*t about Fossett, Roddick, Wyman etc. but this one I am genuially upset about. Strange, too, as I knew it was coming.

It's probably 'cos Porterfield was manager when I was really keen on football & growing up & the managers of that time - Brantfoot, Porterfield & McGhee were akin to Gods of sorts. Now I'm much more critical. :huh:

Sorry... that was rather a long answer, wasn't it? ;)

Blimey! Leeds United's fortunes really have turned around haven't they?

:huh:

Ian Porterfield, ex-football player and manager, dead at 61.

What's even more ironic about 1973, is Porterfield was on Leeds United's books as a youngster, and they let him go.

Then they let him go again at Wembley in 1973. :huh:

Ian Porterfield, ex-football player and manager, dead at 61.

What's even more ironic about 1973, is Porterfield was on Leeds United's books as a youngster, and they let him go.

Then they let him go again at Wembley in 1973. :lol:

What's even more ironic that in those 'Life on Mars' days, Leeds were the strongest team in the country and Sunderland were in the old Second Division. Now, Sunderland are in the Premiership and Leeds are bottom of League One!

Just goes to show how things can change, Chelsea fans ought to be wary of that.... :P

Guest Guest MH
Jazz pianist Joe Zawinul has died aged 75

Died in a silent way...

:lol:

Quite a loss. His band Weather Report was about my second encounter with modern jazz.

German saxophone player Klaus Doldinger was the first. He's getting on a bit at 71. DL material?

regards,

Hein (with his password backed up in a safe place)

Is this a tease or has one of this forums greatest posters come back into circulation?

Salute to Hein

regards,

BS

Guest Guest_Magere Hein_*
Is this a tease or has one of this forums greatest posters come back into circulation?

Salute to Hein

regards,

BS

It's me alright, but I have no way to prove it. I don't have my password at hand, so I have to write as a guest for a bit. I expect be back as the Real MH soon.

regards,

Hein

Salute to Hein

regards,

BS

It's me alright, but I have no way to prove it. I don't have my password at hand, so I have to write as a guest for a bit. I expect be back as the Real MH soon.

regards,

Hein

Welcome back MH!

Aye, a mighty West Cumbrian salute to a returning hero, ironic that he comes back on a thread for the newly departed.

:P

Salute to Hein

regards,

BS

regards,

Hein

Welcome back MH!

:o:lol: If I knew you were coming over I would have combed my hair a bit or maybe even bathed!

Salute to Hein

regards,

BS

regards,

Hein

Welcome back MH!

I echo that, w b Hein!