faustus

2. Dick Van Dyke

I've resisted adding him to my list and did so again for this year, but he's for sure going on my 2025 list if he makes it that far.  He does look like he's slipping a bit and at this age, it can fall off the proverbial cliff really, really fast.  Kind of like Betty White.  I thought there were obvious signs of decline in her final 12-18 months, whatever it was.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MrWonderful said:

I've resisted adding him to my list and did so again for this year, but he's for sure going on my 2025 list if he makes it that far.  He does look like he's slipping a bit and at this age, it can fall off the proverbial cliff really, really fast.  Kind of like Betty White.  I thought there were obvious signs of decline in her final 12-18 months, whatever it was.  

100% with you.

• Facepalm 1

Yeah, that's all quite concerning. He's skipping the wheelchair period. Maybe some cancer? (Bone cancer, like the Queen)

Maybe he is just feeling tired, and travel and being around a lot of people does takes a lot out of a person.  My best guess would be  we are starting to see him slow up, but he will make it to next year. Not saying he could not fall ill or pass away in his sleep at any given moment, but I see him strong enough, and chances  of living the next 3 months and seeing 2025 seems likely

Just now, livingbygrace said:

Maybe he is just feeling tired, and travel and being around a lot of people does takes a lot out of a person.  My best guess would be  we are starting to see him slow up, but he will make it to next year. Not saying he could not fall ill or pass away in his sleep at any given moment, but I see him strong enough, and chances  of living the next 3 months and seeing 2025 seems likely

The article says he's unable to travel due to challenges of old age. That's not typically the language you use when someone has a cold. Sounds like he's declining to me.

• Like 4

Sad to see him likely declining but I wouldn’t write him off yet. I think it’s a wait and see, he was still making appearances until very recently.

He’s scheduled to appear on the upcoming season of The Masked Singer as a Masked Ambassador (A previous contestant who has a connection to one of the current contestants). But this was filmed about a couple months ago.

He'll be fine for this year, he's on the list !

who's gonna take the top spot between him and Carter next year though ? 

57 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah, that's all quite concerning. He's skipping the wheelchair period. Maybe some cancer? (Bone cancer, like the Queen)

Would be quick as he was on good form a few weeks ago. The Queen took nearly a year to die after she as diagnosed.

44 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The article says he's unable to travel due to challenges of old age. That's not typically the language you use when someone has a cold. Sounds like he's declining to me.

Prehaps he has had a fall or suffered an injury and it’s being kept quiet. 

• Like 1

If Jimmy Carter outlives him, it will go down as one of the biggest jokes in deathlist history.

• Like 3

I give him a week. :evil2:

• Haha 5

This is purely speculative, but... in his last interview, when asked about his memorial, he said "I don't have a date yet, but I'm not feeling too well," so he might have already known that something was wrong.

• Shocked 2

1 hour ago, Jonah said:

This is purely speculative, but... in his last interview, when asked about his memorial, he said "I don't have a date yet, but I'm not feeling too well," so he might have already known that something was wrong.

the way he says it comes off more as a minor quip rather than an admittance of ill health.

• Like 2

On 22/09/2024 at 16:15, jimbean1121 said:

the way he says it comes off more as a minor quip rather than an admittance of ill health.

It was played off for laughs.

As for canceling a con appearance - the man is closer to 100 than I am to 50, and some days I don't feel up to working. He has the choice not to do so (assuming he isn't in a bad way). Likely isn't as easy to travel as it used to be for him.

33 minutes ago, Comped said:

It was played off for laughs.

As for canceling a con appearance - the man is closer to 100 than I am to 50, and some days I don't feel up to working. He has the choice not to do so (assuming he isn't in a bad way). Likely isn't as easy to travel as it used to be for him.

also he doesn’t have to appear at every event. he’s Dick Van Dyke and i can imagine people would be okay if he wanted a day off or something. spend time with the wife, be with his friends, etc. this could be nothing but simple burnout. happens with young celebrities all the time, and i bet it’s a bit worse in a 98 year old man.

https://nypost.com/2024/09/23/entertainment/dick-van-dyke-jokes-hes-praying-he-makes-it-to-99th-birthday/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app Spotted in public today. Said he's praying he makes it to his 99th birthday in December, but is clearly not bedridden or seriously ill as people were speculating. Probably just wants to take it easy.

1 hour ago, dimreaper said:

https://nypost.com/2024/09/23/entertainment/dick-van-dyke-jokes-hes-praying-he-makes-it-to-99th-birthday/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app Spotted in public today. Said he's praying he makes it to his 99th birthday in December, but is clearly not bedridden or seriously ill as people were speculating. Probably just wants to take it easy.

If he was seriously ill, his network of friends/admirers in Hollywood wouldn't keep quiet for long. We'd know unless it was quite sudden.