VSBfromH

London 2012 Olympics

That Paula Radcliffe is such a fucking drama queen, isn't she?

At least we'll be spared her usual Olympic performance

Have you seen today's Google Olympic caption?

It says (fnarr fnarr) "Men's Rings" :P

I had no intention of watching this, but glad I did, or else I would have missed that bloke giving the Nazi salute when the German team came on. Nothing of the next two weeks will surpass that, so I have no need to watch any more.

It wasn't Aidan Burley was it? (Yes, he has now achieved international notoriety after his Olympic tweet.)

When I read his comment I presumed he would be the usual old, gray haired Tory.

When I saw his picture, I realised he was just a jumped up twat.

A Young Conservative, in other words

• Like 1

Yet when the Chinese 4 years ago drafted in people to watch the games to fill half empty seats it was because their government is evil, corrupt and no Chinese can afford to watch the games . So does that apply to us this time too? :scratchhead:

The sad thing is most of the Chinese newspapers are probably writing positive things about the Olympics in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/2545531/Beijing-Olympics-China-drafts-in-spectators.html

Yet when the Chinese 4 years ago drafted in people to watch the games to fill half empty seats it was because their government is evil, corrupt and no Chinese can afford to watch the games . So does that apply to us this time too? :scratchhead:

Yep.

I understand they have a women's snatch competition in the weightlifting - I haven't seen it yet but it sounds interesting! My money would be on the Bulgarians! :D

Team GB's first Gold Medal is for women reversing ..... I'm sure there's some irony there somewhere.

• Like 1

Bradley Wiggins brings up the second gold for team GB.

If we can finish in the top 5 then im happy and thank god we won a couple of gold medals.

We're doing rather well. I'm pleased that 7 of the 8 gold medals were won sitting down - that's my kind of sport.

haha yea . I think if we can finish 3rd it would be an amazing achievement for a small island compared to china and usa.

Also i'm a bit confused I thought you had to be 16 to compete at the Olympics Katie Ledecky is 15.

The Aussies aren't doing well, are they?

Even New Zealand are ahead...

Thats because we aren't winning anything, mate.

What a day! Six GB golds, including Clive Dunn in the clay pigeon shooting. They really do not like it up 'em.

Did the fuzzy wuzzy's not turn up then?

Even New Zealand? When Team GB have won a gold medal for every 1.4 million people...

On the subject, why is it Great Britain at the Olympics and the sum of the parts at the Commonwealth Games?

Even New Zealand? When Team GB have won a gold medal for every 1.4 million people...

On the subject, why is it Great Britain at the Olympics and the sum of the parts at the Commonwealth Games?

Yes, but you don't expect to be ahead of the Australians, do you? Looked at the NZ stats and it's fairly consistent in terms of medals with only Sydney being the main letdown, with 1 gold.

I think the separate nations is just to have more competitors...

I find it remarkable that Kazakhstan are currently ahead of Germany and Russia gold-wise. I know it's a huge country size-wise, but they really are excelling.

Canada and Spain are struggling too right now.

I find it remarkable that Kazakhstan are currently ahead of Germany and Russia gold-wise. I know it's a huge country size-wise, but they really are excelling.

Canada and Spain are struggling too right now.

It must be to test if the organisers can find the right national anthem on the web.

What I'm struggling with is to come to terms with the fact that Andy Murray beat Roger Federer. The UK results are remarkable.

The Dutch do reasonably well with 3 gold, 1 silver and 4 bronze medals as I write and a few more to come, including gold for Dorian van Rijsselberghe at windsurfing with one race to be sailed.

regards,

Hein

Does anyone know if there's ever been any academic study into the 'Home Ground' effect? I seem to remember the Aussies walking away with a truck load of medals in Sydney, a quick look a Wiki tells me Greece punched above its weight in 2004, China the same last time and Great Britain following the pattern this time.

Anything proven to be in it?

Can't wait until 2016 when New Zealand win the gold in Rugby Union, provided they can get past the reigning champions.

Meanwhile in Guam....

The victory of super-heavyweight RJ Blas in the judo has lifted hearts. He didn't coming anywhere winning a medal but he did manage to beat someone in the first round. This makes him the first competitor from Guam to ever win anything at all, in twenty four years of Olympic participation.

Similarly, 100m sprinters from the perennially underachieving island nations of Kiribati and Tuvalu have made great progress by not finishing last in their preliminary heats, thereby ending longstanding national traditions of coming last in everything.

is it true that Yorkshire have won more golds than Australia?

Is it true that GB have a high jumper named grab-arse?