DevonDeathTrip

From Cleric To Relic

He has probably been mentioned elsewhere, but what about the Pope's pal, Roger Etchegaray, the French Cardinal who fell and broke his hip when Joe was attacked. He was supposed to be in frail health before the fall and subsequent surgery. He turns 88 next year (God willing).... :(

Cardinal Daly has long been reported ill, even his Wikipedia article mentions his ill health. Well, he's 92 and it's surprising how he's managed to live that long.

Cardinal Etchegaray was reported to be okay after the fall (sorry, the link is in Italian). It says, In the morning, Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, admitted to the University Hospital "Agostino Gemelli" in Rome for the fracture of neck of right femur, was operated for total hip arthroplasty. The surgery was successful and the patient's clinical condition is good.

As planned, the cardinal will spend the next phases after the intervention in the intensive care unit.

• Like 1

Cardinal Daly didn't make it. That's going to bring a few subs into play, I'll wager.

Cardinal Daly didn't make it. That's going to bring a few subs into play, I'll wager.

Oh shit, now he tells me..... :(:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh shit, now he tells me..... :(:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Glad I've waited to submit my team, aren't you happy? I think I deserve some bonus points to start off. :D

Oh shit, now he tells me..... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Glad I've waited to submit my team, aren't you happy? I think I deserve some bonus points to start off. :D

You aint got much time left...

The Right Reverend Monsignor Canon Thomas Joseph Gavin, the only ordained priest ever to have played international rugby (he was capped twice by Ireland), died on Christmas Day at the age of 87. For a long time, he was also the official chaplain of the Donington Monsters of Rock festival and, over the years, provided much needed counsel and spiritual guidance to many frazzled fans of Saxon, Rainbow et al in their hours of darkness.

Perhaps....

'the official chaplain of the Donington Monsters of Rock festival and, over the years, provided much needed counsel and spiritual guidance to many frazzled fans of Saxon, Rainbow et al in their hours of The Darkness'.

Joseph Serge Miot, the archbishop of Port-au-Prince, has been killed in the Haiti earthquake. He was 63.

The Most Archbishop Lawrence Burke, Archbishop of Kingston and President of The Antilles Episcopal Conference, is stepping down because he is suffering from cancer. He's one of the most influential religious figures in the Carribbean and I reckon The Times or The Telegraph would give him a UK obit.

Dead.

Jabez Bryce, the Archbishop of the huge Diocese of Polynesia, has died aged 75. He was the Anglican Communion's longest serving bishop.

He was the Anglican Communion's longest serving bishop.

The only exit routes from that title are retirement or death, but anyone hanging on long enough to get the accolade is probably inclined to work until all signs of life have ceased. So, does anyone know who has just succeeded to the title?

The Right Rev. Kenneth Stevenson, the former Anglican Bishop of Portsmouth, was interviewed on Sunday for a Radio 4 feature about the ethics of assisted dying. During the interview he briefly alluded to his own health problems, but wasn't very specific. I've looked him up and according to his Wiki page, he was diagnosed with leukaemia in 2006 and retired due to ill health last year.

Nasr Abu Zayd, not exactly a cleric but rather a liberal Islamic theologian, died yesterday in Cairo at 66. In 1995 Dr. Abu Zayd's teachings got him declared an apostate, after which he fled to the Netherlands, where he taught at the University for Humanistics.

regards,

Hein

Guest WEP

News on Ayatollah Borouherdi.

The Shiite cleric was arrested in 2006 after promoting the independence of government and religion. After trial, he was under death sentence first, later they changed their mind, so that he has a eleven year prison term now. According to the letter above, he is suffering from "blindness and paralyses".

The latest tweet from American evangelical megachurch founder Rick Warren, who is presumably a touch typist. ;)

"My eyes were severely burned by a toxic poison. Hospitalized Mon. Excruciating pain. Now home. Pray my sight loss is restored"

The latest tweet from American evangelical megachurch founder Rick Warren, who is presumably a touch typist. ;)
"My eyes were severely burned by a toxic poison. Hospitalized Mon. Excruciating pain. Now home. Pray my sight loss is restored"

Nice Job.

Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me.

regards,

Hein

I have recently unearthed several ecclesatical leaders, who are very aged or in frail health. Sadly none of them are really famous enough to qualify for their own thread, but I would think most of them should get an obit in the UK.

It has been a spiritually enriching experience, reading about the exploits of fine fellows below. Feel free to add any men of God I might have missed:

Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria

Archbishop Christodoulos

Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria

Whakahuihui Vercoe of Rotorua

Cahal Cardinal Daly

Pavle, Patriarch of Serbia

The Most Reverend and Most Holy Father, His Beatitude Ignatius IV, Patriarch of Antioch, the Great City of God, of Syria, Lebanon, Arabia, Cilicia, Mesopotamia and all the East

I predict they will all be dead within 2, 3, 4 years. :angry2:

Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria, 96, has been forced to issue a statement confirming that he is still alive, following media reports that he has died, or was gravely ill.

• Like 1