DevonDeathTrip

From Cleric To Relic

I have recently unearthed several ecclesatical leaders, who are very aged or in frail health. Sadly none of them are really famous enough to qualify for their own thread, but I would think most of them should get an obit in the UK.

It has been a spiritually enriching experience, reading about the exploits of fine fellows below. Feel free to add any men of God I might have missed:

Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria

Archbishop Christodoulos

Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria

Whakahuihui Vercoe of Rotorua

Cahal Cardinal Daly

Pavle, Patriarch of Serbia

The Most Reverend and Most Holy Father, His Beatitude Ignatius IV, Patriarch of Antioch, the Great City of God, of Syria, Lebanon, Arabia, Cilicia, Mesopotamia and all the East

I predict they will all be dead within 2, 3, 4 years. :angry2:

Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria, 96, has been forced to issue a statement confirming that he is still alive, following media reports that he has died, or was gravely ill.

It's almost worth entering that last one in the DDP, just to give TMIB a hard time. :ninja:

On the question of titles I was reading in the paper this morning that Prince Edward got Earl of Wessex after he saw it on telly when there was a character in the film, Shakespeare in Love with that title. Edward thought it sounded cooler than the Duke of Cambridge, the one on offer at the time.

The thing is that while the rest of us sit around our Christmas lunches pulling crackers, these arseholes are trying out titles on each other which are then "bestowed" and the rest of the lumpen numpties (otherwise know as subjects) just swallow the whole rigmarole and double their orders for Hello magazine. I'm with the mob.

• Like 1

I have recently unearthed several ecclesatical leaders, who are very aged or in frail health. Sadly none of them are really famous enough to qualify for their own thread, but I would think most of them should get an obit in the UK.

It has been a spiritually enriching experience, reading about the exploits of fine fellows below. Feel free to add any men of God I might have missed:

Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria

Archbishop Christodoulos

Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria

Whakahuihui Vercoe of Rotorua

Cahal Cardinal Daly

Pavle, Patriarch of Serbia

The Most Reverend and Most Holy Father, His Beatitude Ignatius IV, Patriarch of Antioch, the Great City of God, of Syria, Lebanon, Arabia, Cilicia, Mesopotamia and all the East

I predict they will all be dead within 2, 3, 4 years. :pop:

Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria, 96, has been forced to issue a statement confirming that he is still alive, following media reports that he has died, or was gravely ill.

It's almost worth entering that last one in the DDP, just to give TMIB a hard time. :D

On the question of titles I was reading in the paper this morning that Prince Edward got Earl of Wessex after he saw it on telly when there was a character in the film, Shakespeare in Love with that title. Edward thought it sounded cooler than the Duke of Cambridge, the one on offer at the time.

The thing is that while the rest of us sit around our Christmas lunches pulling crackers, these arseholes are trying out titles on each other which are then "bestowed" and the rest of the lumpen numpties (otherwise know as subjects) just swallow the whole rigmarole and double their orders for Hello magazine. I'm with the mob.

I like to think that the majority of the 'lumpen numpties' just ignore it all until one of them dies. That's what I do.

Fairly suprised to finish in the heights of joint 23rd last year, didn't expect to do anything like that...

1. Tom Lubbock (Joker)

2. Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

3. Jose Alencar

4. Ronnie Biggs

5. Yao Defen

6. Bishop Michael Evans

7. Harlan Ellison

8. Aretha Franklin

9. Dennis Frederiksen

10. Annette Funicello

11. Superstar Billy Graham

12. John Higgins Sr.

13. Christopher Hitchens

14. Guy Innes-Ker

15. Terry Jenner

16. Diana Wynne Jones

17. Mick Karn

18. Hosni Mubarak

19. Doug Rollerson

20. Norman Spinrad

A very fine pick. The Rt Rev Evans has announced to his flock he's going to die rather soon:

“In the last few weeks, the cancer has rather quickly taken control. My oncology and palliative care consultants informed me openly and honestly just before Christmas that I now probably have only weeks to live, and I am as prepared for that as I can be, accepting it with faith as a gift of God’s grace"

Fairly suprised to finish in the heights of joint 23rd last year, didn't expect to do anything like that...

1. Tom Lubbock (Joker)

2. Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

3. Jose Alencar

4. Ronnie Biggs

5. Yao Defen

6. Bishop Michael Evans

7. Harlan Ellison

8. Aretha Franklin

9. Dennis Frederiksen

10. Annette Funicello

11. Superstar Billy Graham

12. John Higgins Sr.

13. Christopher Hitchens

14. Guy Innes-Ker

15. Terry Jenner

16. Diana Wynne Jones

17. Mick Karn

18. Hosni Mubarak

19. Doug Rollerson

20. Norman Spinrad

A very fine pick. The Rt Rev Evans has announced to his flock he's going to die rather soon:

“In the last few weeks, the cancer has rather quickly taken control. My oncology and palliative care consultants informed me openly and honestly just before Christmas that I now probably have only weeks to live, and I am as prepared for that as I can be, accepting it with faith as a gift of God’s grace"

I hope he lives long enough to see Leeds United back in to the Premiership.

I hope he lives long enough to see Leeds United back in to the Premiership.

I hope I don't.

The former Bishop of Portsmouth, the Rt Rev. Kenneth Stevenson, has lost his long battle against cancer aged 61 years.

The former Bishop of Portsmouth, the Rt Rev. Kenneth Stevenson, has lost his long battle against cancer aged 61 years.

Kenneth Stevenson who I was seriously considering picking. FUUUUUUCCCKKK. And Michael Douglas, Aretha Franklin, and Dick Cheney all say theyre fine. I still have plenty of hope, but what a dreadful start to my 2011 DPs.

Has anyone mentioned Rabbi Lionel Blue? Just about to turn 81, had surgery for a tumour in 1997 and has been diagnosed with Parkinsons...

Has anyone mentioned Rabbi Lionel Blue? Just about to turn 81, had surgery for a tumour in 1997 and has been diagnosed with Parkinsons...

Not since November http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?...st&p=153374, as 20 seconds with the search function established.

Terry Jones, the American pastor who has a a few dozen followers and several square miles of recent print coverage since he threatened to burn The Koran will not now be coming to the UK. Probably good for his survival chances.

Terry Jones, the American pastor who has a a few dozen followers and several square miles of recent print coverage since he threatened to burn The Koran will not now be coming to the UK. Probably good for his survival chances.

Staying with bigoted preachers, the loathsome Fred Phelps surely (hopefully?) can't be much longer for this world, 81 now. When he does croak, I hope a load of people turn up to picket his funeral, see how he and his fucking pathetic congregation like it.

Staying with bigoted preachers, the loathsome Fred Phelps surely (hopefully?) can't be much longer for this world, 81 now. When he does croak, I hope a load of people turn up to picket his funeral, see how he and his fucking pathetic congregation like it.

I found this

in response to Phelps' plans to picket the funerals of the Arizona shooting victims.

I found this

in response to Phelps' plans to picket the funerals of the Arizona shooting victims.

What a sorry bunch of losers he and his followers are

Archbishop Faustino Sainz Muñoz, the Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain, is to retire early due to ill health.

More about Archbishop Munoz's health:

The archbishop, who retired in December after being diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumour, is returning to his native Spain where he will continue his chemotherapy. He said farewell to the bishops’ conference of England and Wales at their plenary meeting in November. He told them: “My illness is very serious and so this is my last meeting with you… The chemotherapy continues and does not allow me to continue my mission here.”

I'm not entirely sure about his obit chances, though, particularly because of the ban on The Times as a valid source due to their paywall. But, as posted above by MPFC, the Telegraph like to give obits to clerics with a bit of character and this chap is a chain smoking, diehard Real Madrid fan, so that might count in his favour.

You're on fire at present DDT but I fear this is one we'll miss out on. Agressive brain-tumour = dead this year IMHO.

Archbishop Faustino Sainz Muñoz, the Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain, is to retire early due to ill health.

More about Archbishop Munoz's health:

The archbishop, who retired in December after being diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumour, is returning to his native Spain where he will continue his chemotherapy. He said farewell to the bishops’ conference of England and Wales at their plenary meeting in November. He told them: “My illness is very serious and so this is my last meeting with you… The chemotherapy continues and does not allow me to continue my mission here.”

I'm not entirely sure about his obit chances, though, particularly because of the ban on The Times as a valid source due to their paywall. But, as posted above by MPFC, the Telegraph like to give obits to clerics with a bit of character and this chap is a chain smoking, diehard Real Madrid fan, so that might count in his favour.

What is this about a ban on The Times as a valid source?

Derek Rawcliffe

"Derek Rawcliffe, the first Church of England bishop to be open about his homosexuality, has died. He was 89".

Top Indian religious leader Satya Sai Baba has died aged 84 (never heard of him myself of course, although judging by this picture of him he might have been a member of the Leo Sayer fan club)

The head of the mormon church in the USA has died

:rant:

No, he hasn't. The head of the Latter Day Saints Church is Thomas Monson, who, unless he has just fallen off a cliff, been beaten to death by one or all of his ten wives, or came out worst in a wrestling contest with a cougar, is alive and well. The deceased person you are referring to - but haven't even bothered to name - is/was Jack H Goaslind, who once headed the church's youth wing and was one of their 109 general authorities, albeit a very senior one.

Please can you make a little more effort with your posts, notaguest. As soon as I saw your name on the thread, I knew it was going to be ugly. Whilst your enthusiasm for noting dead nobodies is admirable, at the moment you're just regurgitating whatever you've harvested from the Wikipedia recent deaths page and the results, which you splatter across these pages are truly, utterly crap.

:banghead:

No, he hasn't. The head of the Latter Day Saints Church is Thomas Monson, who, unless he has just fallen off a cliff, been beaten to death by one or all of his ten wives, or came out worst in a wrestling contest with a cougar, is alive and well. The deceased person you are referring to - but haven't even bothered to name - is/was Jack H Goaslind, who once headed the church's youth wing and was one of their 109 general authorities, albeit a very senior one.

Please can you make a little more effort with your posts, notaguest. As soon as I saw your name on the thread, I knew it was going to be ugly. Whilst your enthusiasm for noting dead nobodies is admirable, at the moment you're just regurgitating whatever you've harvested from the Wikipedia recent deaths page and the results, which you splatter across these pages are truly, utterly crap.

I am more shocked Iain has been allowed to come back onto the site and been allowed to roam free for so long without someone complaining.

:banghead:

Sorry but you didnt sayI had to abide by certain standards.I thought it was a democratic forum where people were allowed to post what they wanted to within reason.I will ask for your permission before making posts in future

• Like 1