DevonDeathTrip

From Cleric To Relic

His Holiness Dr. Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin, head of the the Dawoodi Bohra faith, is reported to be celebrating his 97th birthday this week. His Wiki page says he is a mere 93, but he does look pretty ancient. He might be obscure, but he is a leader and religious leaders get obits.

The Dawoodi Bohras form a tiny Islamic minority, based in India, there are less then 50 000 worldwide.

Before I cleaned up his Wikipedia page a while back, you would have thought this man was next prophet. Apparently he's quite well known, which should translate into an obit.... I would point out, however, that the faith itself is somewhat obscure... so don't count on the fact that he's a religious leader alone for this one.

Mohammed Burhanuddin is travelling to Britain from India this weekend, to officially open an eco-friendly mosque in Manchester...

Ailing leader of Dawoodi Bohras names successor

• Like 1

Fairly suprised to finish in the heights of joint 23rd last year, didn't expect to do anything like that...

1. Tom Lubbock (Joker)

2. Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

3. Jose Alencar

4. Ronnie Biggs

5. Yao Defen

6. Bishop Michael Evans

7. Harlan Ellison

8. Aretha Franklin

9. Dennis Frederiksen

10. Annette Funicello

11. Superstar Billy Graham

12. John Higgins Sr.

13. Christopher Hitchens

14. Guy Innes-Ker

15. Terry Jenner

16. Diana Wynne Jones

17. Mick Karn

18. Hosni Mubarak

19. Doug Rollerson

20. Norman Spinrad

A very fine pick. The Rt Rev Evans has announced to his flock he's going to die rather soon:

“In the last few weeks, the cancer has rather quickly taken control. My oncology and palliative care consultants informed me openly and honestly just before Christmas that I now probably have only weeks to live, and I am as prepared for that as I can be, accepting it with faith as a gift of God’s grace"

Bishop Evans has died aged 59

Sir Paul Reeves ONZ, GCMG, GCVO, CF, QSO , the former Archbishop and Primate of New Zealand, who later also became New Zealand's Governor General, has withdrawn from public life following the diagnosis of an unspecified type of cancer.

Sir Paul Reeves ONZ, GCMG, GCVO, CF, QSO , the former Archbishop and Primate of New Zealand, who later also became New Zealand's Governor General, has withdrawn from public life following the diagnosis of an unspecified type of cancer.

OMG, WTF?

regards,

Hein

OMG, WTF?

regards,

Hein

FFS, LOL.

RTFM, JFGI.

The Catholic Bishop of Portsmouth, The Right Rev Crispian Hollis, has announced in a letter to the clergy of his Diocese that he has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.

Spirtual leader Kirtanananda Swami, aka Swami Bhaktipada, perhaps one of the West's most prominent Hare Krishna devotees, is suffering from serious health problems.

Bhaktipada was admitted to a hospital...at the end of July with a collapsed lung. A CAT scan revealed bleeding inside the brain...the 73-year-old Bhaktipada returned to his nearby temple this week after doctors indicated there was nothing more they could do.

At the risk of posting on a topic that may appear elsewhere (I did a search, honest), is it too much to hope for Warren Jeffs to brew up his own brand of Jim Jones kool aid, and drink the whole batch himself?

Underage sects

If Al Qaeda are looking for a new target that represents something hideously wrong with a side of US culture, perhaps the CIA could send them a detailed map of Schleicher County, Texas.

Warren Jeffs is suffering from an undisclosed ailment and has been hospitalised.

The sect leader has had several health complications during his jail stay, including a trip to a prison infirmary because of a self-imposed fast. Jeffs also attempted suicide last year and was seen throwing himself against the walls and banging his head, authorities said.

Warren Jeffs is reported to have slipped in to a coma, a mere three days in to a hunger strike :unsure: .

At the risk of posting on a topic that may appear elsewhere (I did a search, honest), is it too much to hope for Warren Jeffs to brew up his own brand of Jim Jones kool aid, and drink the whole batch himself?

Underage sects

If Al Qaeda are looking for a new target that represents something hideously wrong with a side of US culture, perhaps the CIA could send them a detailed map of Schleicher County, Texas.

Warren Jeffs is suffering from an undisclosed ailment and has been hospitalised.

The sect leader has had several health complications during his jail stay, including a trip to a prison infirmary because of a self-imposed fast. Jeffs also attempted suicide last year and was seen throwing himself against the walls and banging his head, authorities said.

Warren Jeffs is reported to have slipped in to a coma, a mere three days in to a hunger strike :unsure: .

What a wuss...

Archbishop Philip Hannan who deliverd the eulogy for JFK (and RFK), has died aged 98.

The Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth, 85, renowned American civil rights leader who campaigned alongside Martin Luther King, is in intensive care after suffering a stroke. He was not in the best of health before his stroke, having been treated for a brain tumour in 2005.

He was very nearly killed by the Ku Klux Klan in 1956 (dynamite planted under his house) and again in 1957 (attacked by mob)

The Rev Shuttlesworth has shuffled off.

Guest fed up

I can't believe you didn't have such a major civil rights icon as Fred Shufflesworth on your list after all these years!

I can't believe you didn't have such a major civil rights icon as Fred Shufflesworth on your list after all these years!

We didn't know there was such a person. although we were aware of Fred Shuttlesworth. maybe a case of mistaken identity?

Did you have him on your list?

The Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth, 85, renowned American civil rights leader who campaigned alongside Martin Luther King, is in intensive care after suffering a stroke. He was not in the best of health before his stroke, having been treated for a brain tumour in 2005.

He was very nearly killed by the Ku Klux Klan in 1956 (dynamite planted under his house) and again in 1957 (attacked by mob)

The Rev Shuttlesworth has shuffled off.

That gives me a clear 2 point lead in our family dead pool.

Good bloke that Rev Shuttlesworth, did a lot of fighting for the good of civil rights and well deserved to have an airport named after him

Guest Mrs Brown
I have recently unearthed several ecclesatical leaders, who are very aged or in frail health. Sadly none of them are really famous enough to qualify for their own thread, but I would think most of them should get an obit in the UK.

It has been a spiritually enriching experience, reading about the exploits of fine fellows below. Feel free to add any men of God I might have missed:

The Most Reverend and Most Holy Father, His Beatitude Ignatius IV, Patriarch of Antioch, the Great City of God, of Syria, Lebanon, Arabia, Cilicia, Mesopotamia and all the East

I predict they will all be dead within 2 3 4 5 years. :old:

Sure I'll be fecking dead mesel before I finish saying his fecking name :)

I'm sorry you're fed up, fed up :) Here's a picture of a penguin chick to cheer you up.

thorsten-milse-emperor-penguin-chick-aptenodytes-forsteri-snow-hill-island-weddell-sea-antarctica.jpg

Guest fed up

That's actually just made me feel depressed because it reminds me of Happy Feet the penguin who went missing ,presumed eaten, recently :)

That's actually just made me feel depressed because it reminds me of Happy Feet the penguin who went missing ,presumed eaten, recently :)

Away and cut your wrists then...

Nothing wrong with that...Penguin-bar-advert-006.jpg

Just spotted this one:

I am about to be assassinated, says Bishop Mambo

http://www.zambianwatchdog.com/2011/07/27/...s-bishop-mambo/

Story is dated July 27th so that should put his assassination at around about... right... now.

Edited by Magere Hein
Link fixed
  • Like 1