Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Well, well, well.

Looks like Olympedia fucked up on this one. They had long maintained that Nancy Mackay (wiki), British-born Canadian bronze medalist sprinter at the 1948 Olympics, died in 2016.

Not the case. She was still alive and died on January 4, 2024, aged 101. Obit here

Even the stronger sources get it wrong sometimes I suppose.

Nancy_Mackay_1948.jpg.c7dc2d1981d8c49f10116bd4ba1b5db7.jpg

• Like 6

Héctor Sanabria, Mexican footballer who competed at the 1968 games has died aged 78. Obit (In Spanish).

Fernando Acevedo Peruvian runner who competed at the 1968 and 1972 games has died aged 77. Obit (In Spanish).

Lucia Faria, Brazilian Equestrian who competed at the 1968 games has died aged 78. Obit (In Brazilian Portuguese). 

• Like 1

Crossposting from French speaking Deathlist :

French Michel Jazy, silver medalist in 1500 meters at the 1960 Games, has died aged 87.

He hold 9 world records and was European Champion.

He was very big and popular in France, truly a huge loss for French sport.

Edited by Sinbabad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sinbabad said:

French Michel Jazy, silver medalist in 1500 meters at the 1960 Games, has died aged 87.

He hold 9 world records and was European Champion.

He was very big and popular in France, truly a huge loss for French sport.

Should specify you are crossposting.

Zdenek Pecka was born in Litoměřice, Czechoslovakia and died on 30 January aged 69, was a Czech rower who competed for Czechoslovakia at the 1976 Summer Olympics (bronze in quadruple sculls) and the 1980 Summer Olympics (bronze in double sculls) .

https://www.sport.cz/clanek/vodni-sporty-zemrel-byvaly-veslar-pecka-vicemistr-sveta-a-dvojnasobny-olympijsky-medailista-5021688

veslovani-pecka.jpeg?fl=cro,0,375,1398,1048%7Cres,1200,,1%7Cwebp,75

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

17 minutes ago, diego said:

Zdenek Pecka was born in Litoměřice, Czechoslovakia and died on 30 January aged 69, was a Czech rower who competed for Czechoslovakia at the 1976 Summer Olympics (bronze in quadruple sculls) and the 1980 Summer Olympics (bronze in double sculls) .

https://www.sport.cz/clanek/vodni-sporty-zemrel-byvaly-veslar-pecka-vicemistr-sveta-a-dvojnasobny-olympijsky-medailista-5021688

Even an Olympic medalist now has facepalm, it's complicated

12 minutes ago, diego said:

Even an Olympic medalist now has facepalm, it's complicated

No, it's not.

This site is not an encyclopedia. Copying from wikipedia the death of a guy which happened three days ago, with said guy never have been mentioned on this site, does not meet my likings. Everyone else free to appreciate it.

• Like 7
  • Facepalm 2

36 minutes ago, drol said:

No, it's not.

This site is not an encyclopedia. Copying from wikipedia the death of a guy which happened three days ago, with said guy never have been mentioned on this site, does not meet my likings. Everyone else free to appreciate it.

I get the impression that diego is an autistic savant like Rain Man. I don’t think you’ll convince him to stop. For him this is all very fulfilling.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

No, it's not.

The fact that he was never mentioned and his death occurred 2 or 3 days ago does not change the fact that he was a medalist in two Olympics, if that is not a reason to be mentioned in a thread where the deaths of Olympic athletes are reported...
But that's okay, it's democracy, what pleases some people displeases others, I understand your lack of interest in the subject, and I understand that you think the post is unnecessary, but I also think it's unnecessary to facepalm and criticize those who post, I just think that If you don't like it, you don't have to do anything, just move on.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

No, it's not.

Well, that's one post he didn't "like".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Constantinos Stathelakos was born in Lamia, Greece and died in South Africa at age 36 due to a traffic accident, transferring his international eligibility to Cyprus after 2009. He competed in the hammer throw at the 2012 Summer Olympics for Cyprus

https://www.ethnos.gr/sports/article/299986/thlipshseelladakaikypropethaneokonstantinosstathelakosmetaapotroxaiosthnotiaafrikh

KOEAS/Facebook

• Like 1

Now for a proper Olympic great: Bob Beamon, the man who holds the longest running track and field record (the long jump) has auctioned his gold medal from 1968 for $441,000.

Make of that what you will.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 7:36 PM, Ulitzer95 said:

Karl Volkmer (wiki), Swiss sprinter at the 1948 Summer Olympics, died on 19 December, aged 101.

He was the 2nd oldest living competitor from the 1948 Games, and the 5th oldest overall.

He was the oldest Swiss Olympian, who is now the equestrian William de Rham, born on August 22, 1922.

https://olympstats.com/2024/01/30/nancy-mackay/

So, what's happened to Olympedia?

Hasn't been updated since December.

I notice that the Oldest Olympians Facebook page has stopped linking to it and instead directs people to a different website that looks to be accessible by member login only (but with no option to sign up). Pretty shit if Olympedia has been abandoned as a project or they've chosen to monetise it as it will mean many Olympian Wiki pages will become neglected.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2024 at 22:10, diego said:

I appreciate this post, dekuji

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

So, what's happened to Olympedia?

Hasn't been updated since December.

I notice that the Oldest Olympians Facebook page has stopped linking to it and instead directs people to a different website that looks to be accessible by member login only (but with no option to sign up). Pretty shit if Olympedia has been abandoned as a project or they've chosen to monetise it as it will mean many Olympian Wiki pages will become neglected.

https://twitter.com/bambam1729/status/1740775538460107156

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, edm88 said:

That's absolutely ridiculous.

So much hard work has gone into that site and because of a disagreement with the IOC, it will no longer be updated.  Something similar happened to the old Sports Reference site. Now there's no live database. Is it really that difficult for a group of ppl to get their shit together?

• Like 4

Galina Alekseyeva, born in Moscow and died aged 76, was a Soviet diver who competed at the 1964 Summer Olympics (where she won bronze in the 10 m Platform and at the 1968 Summer Olympics)

https://sport24.ru/other/news-618058-umerla-bronzovyy-prizer-olimpiady-1964-v-pryzhkakh-v-vodu-galina-alekseyeva?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=mobile&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fdzen.ru%2Fnews%2Fsearch%3Ftext%3D

400_10000_max.jpeg

• Like 1

Luigi Arienti, Italian cyclist who won gold at the 1960 Games has died aged 87. Obit (In Italian).

Javier Salmerón, Spanish Paralympian who won medals at the 1988 and 1992 games has died aged 57. Obit (In Spanish)

Tsutomu Hanahara, Japanese wrestler who won gold in 1964 has died aged 84. Obit (In Japanese)

Maria Musso, Italian athlete who competed at the 1952 and 1956 games has died aged 92. Obit (In Italian).

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Tsutomu Hanahara, Japanese wrestler who won gold in 1964 has died aged 84

He was the Olympic champion of an older edition in Greco-Roman flyweight, which is now Peter Kirov (BUL), who was champion in 68 and 72 and also three times world champion and four times European champion