Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

Lovely to see some of these faces, especially Carole Ann Ford as I'm working my way through her episodes. However, Tennant aside, is there not a conspicuous lack of the doctors themselves in these celebrations?

34 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

Lovely to see some of these faces, especially Carole Ann Ford as I'm working my way through her episodes. However, Tennant aside, is there not a conspicuous lack of the doctors themselves in these celebrations?

There has been the Tales of Tardis on iPlayer focusing on classic Doctors, Unsurprisingly Big Finish has dragged out everyone for a series of Audio Dramas and There's also the whole back catalogue going onto iPlayer and some things for BBC Sounds (In said Radio Times issue above the one of the main features is an interview with Tom Baker).

The 60th specials are still yet to air but from what's advertised it is just David and Ncuti, but as always there's endless rumours of other Doctors but I doubt that Douglas Camfield will be dug up to reprise his role as one of the Morbius Doctors. Even if it is just David in the 60th there are other era's represented through the Toymaker, the Meep, UNIT, and Bonnie Langford.

If you look at the 50th it was Tennant and Smith (and the retconned John Hurt) in the special with a cameo from Tom Baker. Davison and co. did that comedy skit, McGann has his regeneration minisode, Big Finish had a badly written celebration and there was the Docu-Drama with David Bradley. There was also the coincidence of them finding Enemy of the World & Web of Fear around the same time.

I think there is less for the 60th but obviously the 50th is more important anyway. There's also the fact that we have just had a big special episode with returning Doctors for the BBC's 100th anniversary so it might not be the best idea to have another straight away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

There has been the Tales of Tardis on iPlayer focusing on classic Doctors, Unsurprisingly Big Finish has dragged out everyone for a series of Audio Dramas and There's also the whole back catalogue going onto iPlayer and some things for BBC Sounds (In said Radio Times issue above the one of the main features is an interview with Tom Baker).

The 60th specials are still yet to air but from what's advertised it is just David and Ncuti, but as always there's endless rumours of other Doctors but I doubt that Douglas Camfield will be dug up to reprise his role as one of the Morbius Doctors. Even if it is just David in the 60th there are other era's represented through the Toymaker, the Meep, UNIT, and Bonnie Langford.

If you look at the 50th it was Tennant and Smith (and the retconned John Hurt) in the special with a cameo from Tom Baker. Davison and co. did that comedy skit, McGann has his regeneration minisode, Big Finish had a badly written celebration and there was the Docu-Drama with David Bradley. There was also the coincidence of them finding Enemy of the World & Web of Fear around the same time.

I think there is less for the 60th but obviously the 50th is more important anyway. There's also the fact that we have just had a big special episode with returning Doctors for the BBC's 100th anniversary so it might not be the best idea to have another straight away.

The second episode has had no prescreening and no synopsis even for the RT. It is possible there are some big surprises there in 

Guardian "Other Lives" obit for David Elliott, who did lots of work with Gerry Anderson directing and editing before a falling-out, then worked for the BBC on Doctor Who & Adam Adamant, (according to the obit but not in IMDb). Died aged 92 on 10th November.

• Like 1

Latest Doctor Who Mag has death notices for the following people.

• Michael Patrick Rix - Cameraman for the 'first four doctors' died in August, his death is also mentioned here.
  • John Wood (IMDb) - Designer in seasons 2 & 3 and vfx designer for the Space Pirates, as well as numerous non-Doctor Who credits, died 19th December 2022.
  • Leonie Jessel (IMDb) - Extra in the Sunmakers, also appeared in an episode of the Bill but not much else, died 9th August 2022.
  • Gilbert Gillan (IMDb) - Uncredited Cyberman in the Five Doctors died 2nd April 2022, only has one other role in 90s Nutcracker short film, tribute page and fundraiser for St David's Hospice, Llandudno.
  • Paul Wheeler (IMDb) - Cameraman for Enlightenment, The Awakening and various 2nd & 3rd Doctor serials died 14th May 2021, also has a lot of other TV credits under his belt, his death is also mentioned here.
  • Fernand Monast (IMDb) - Uncredited roles in numerous 80s serials with a few other roles on TV, died 21st February 2021.
  • David Pankhurst - Cameraman for the first three doctors died 5th January 2021.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sid Sutton, graphic designer who produced the Doctor Who titles 1980-1986 reported on Twitter to have died.

EDIT: Considering this tribute page is from June the initial report that he died in September is clearly incorrect https://sidneysutton.muchloved.com/

Edited by Commtech Sio Bibble
  • Sad 2

On 13/12/2023 at 20:23, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Sid Sutton, graphic designer who produced the Doctor Who titles 1980-1986 reported on Twitter to have died.

EDIT: Considering this tribute page is from June the initial report that he died in September is clearly incorrect https://sidneysutton.muchloved.com/

Here's a decent look at his resume:

https://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/bbc-motion-graphics-archive/sid-sutton

Created the first BBC colour idents. RIP.

• Like 2

A bit overdue, still surely sad for all of you who were his fans.

23 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Richard Franklin dead (of course they announced it mid way through the new Doctor Who ep). 

Christmas day! How sad.

I think we all, as a UNIT, are incredibly sad. 5 rounds, rapid fire.

RIP.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Richard Franklin dead (of course they announced it mid way through the new Doctor Who ep). 

It's sad how this happens. He will be missed. I was remarking just the other day that I thought he might pass soon. RIP.

RIP Richard. Not unexpected news but sad especially as this time of year. He was part of one of the most loved periods of Doctor Who and very good in it too, especially in Season 11. 

I hate to bring it up but if anyone’s wondering why this news might get a muted reaction from Who fans, it’s because Franklin’s reputation isn’t the best because of this account from a fan. I can’t speak on the veracity of the claim but it’s quite serious and I’ve seen it mentioned on social media before when his name comes up. 

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

QO from Metro

Edit: Just realised Metro isn't on the approved list for the DDP. Dumb!

Pretty sure metro is approved. Counted before for other people

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Pretty sure metro is approved. Counted before for other people

It was in 2020 but it’s not on the current list on the website. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

It was in 2020 but it’s not on the current list on the website. 

I imagine it got accidentally removed. LG Petrov only got a QO by a metro end of year list and that counted in 2021. If metro was intended to be removed they would’ve announced it I’m pretty sure

• Like 1

Yes, it's an accident. Metro is an accepted QO source, will readd to the page shortly

EDIT: It's there now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Surprised he was picked by only two teams on the DDP. RIP.

12 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Surprised he was picked by only two teams on the DDP. RIP.

One of which is me, and he’s in next year’s team as well. 

• Like 1