Guest ATS

Maggie Smith

Fabulous actress, a great loss.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

This meme has also just come out that I've seen, though it's also been pointed out Gambon was accidentally left off:

May be an image of 12 people and text

Gambon added. 

FB_IMG_1727446730162.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gisooo said:

I'm done with 2024, fucking year, Fuck

Rest in peace legend.

2024 has hardly been a big year for deaths all round. In fact, it’s hard to think of a quieter year.

Also, there have been very few (if any) shock deaths this year. A shock death being like a Heath Ledger, Chadwick Boseman, Natasha Richardson.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

2024 has hardly been a big year for deaths all round. In fact, it’s hard to think of a quieter year.

Also, there have been very few (if any) shock deaths this year. A shock death being like a Heath Ledger, Chadwick Boseman, Natasha Richardson.

Maybe it's just personal interest because I'm with Gisooo in that it's been a horrible year. But all of the names who come to mind for BIG deaths are only really big for personal interests.

In terms of most shocking Carl Weathers and Ian Lavender come to mind but both were in their 70s, so not really. Personally Susan Wojcicki is a big shock death but that was hardly front page news. Alexei Navalny is probably the closest to a internationally famous shock death, but being realistic the biggest shock is that it didn't happen 10 years ago.

Major political deaths have been quite lacking, I'd argue Brian Mulroney is maybe the biggest.

Off the top of my head OJ Simpson is possibly the most high profile death of the year so far, with his only competition being James Earl Jones or Donald Sutherland.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Maybe it's just personal interest because I'm with Gisooo in that it's been a horrible year. But all of the names who come to mind for BIG deaths are only really big for personal interests.

In terms of most shocking Carl Weathers and Ian Lavender come to mind but both were in their 70s, so not really. Personally Susan Wojcicki is a big shock death but that was hardly front page news. Alexei Navalny is probably the closest to a internationally famous shock death, but being realistic the biggest shock is that it didn't happen 10 years ago.

Major political deaths have been quite lacking, I'd argue Brian Mulroney is maybe the biggest.

Off the top of my head OJ Simpson is possibly the most high profile death of the year so far, with his only competition being James Earl Jones or Donald Sutherland.

see you in a few months for the third edition of the deathlist awards :) 

• Like 1

I'm getting to the point of starting to only really remember deaths that are personally relevant to me. I keep forgetting OJ died this year until I read something that mentions it, for instance.

The Shangri La, the voice of Jigglypuff, and Duke Fakir my personal big three. Newhart and James Earl Jones are higher up too. It feels oddly tempting to say Scott Thorson.

There are no words to express the grief

w1500_39203731.jpg

• Like 1

Damn this is a sad one.One of the greatest actresses of my lifetime.Looking through her obituaries reminds me of just how much she accomplished.Seems crazy one actress achieved so much acclaim and deservedly so.The statistics of awards and nominations she had are hard to comprehend.

Definitely one of those names that the word legend truly befits.

• Like 5

On 30/08/2024 at 09:52, msc said:

It's a BBC show from 2018 with a different name.

For what it's worth, the other three (Eileen Atkins is the fourth) were concerned about Joan Plowrights health back then!

Definitely time for Joan Plowright to make her first appearance on next year's list if she makes it.She seemed a lot frailer than the others in the documentary and  also seemed a lot older than the rest although the other 3 were only 4_5 years older.Wonder if she will be at the funeral?Somehow I doubt it but reckon Eileen and Judi will almost certainly attend.

• Like 4

I am usually good with people who start with M or J but I didn't have her listed in any of my pools dammit. I knew she was frail as well.

RIP.

I think that there are some people I just don't want to die so I subconsciously avoid picking them.  The only pool I had Maggie in was the 30/30 pool which started years ago.

• Like 1

My absence today has been as shocking as this.

I was at a funeral, just as I turned the computer off to head out, the news splashed across the tellybox.

RIP Maggie, biggest death of the year without question. For me anyway.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

My absence today has been as shocking as this.

I was at a funeral, just as I turned the computer off to head out, the news splashed across the tellybox.

RIP Maggie, biggest death of the year without question. For me anyway.

For me it's a toss up between her and James Earl Jones (since I grew up on Harry Potter, Lion King and Star Wars). Losing them both so close to each other is like more nails in the coffin of my childhood. 

• Like 1

Superb actress, universally known for a variety of different roles. I suspect only Judi Dench's passing will carry more weight among current film actresses. It's been coming, but it doesn't make it any less sad when it happens. She died in Marigold Hotel 2, Downton 2, now she's gone for good. Rest in Peace, Dame Maggie.

With her death, I believe the only 2 living cast members of Murder by Death are James Cromwell and Richard Narita. Film came out in 1976. 

Edited by Captain Hemlock

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

She died in Marigold Hotel 2, Downton 2, now she's gone for good. Rest in Peace, Dame Maggie.

She didn't die in The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel? Am I wrong?

My musical tribute to Maggie Smith, who has died aged 89. A true legend of stage and screen. I loved her in A Room With A View. So, from the film, here is the music of Puccini to accompany memories of Dame Maggie. © Steve Rozenberg

https://youtu.be/0N7xO5TA91c?si=ULPZ4FdDs5xuBFsm

She was rumoured to be in ill health for a while. Let's face it, even if Judi Dench would suddenly drop dead it would not be much of a surprise, considering her age and past health issues. 

Other actresses born in the same period are getting increasingly frailer: Eileen Atkins, Sian Phillips, and the honorary immortal Jean Marsh. Joan Plowright and Patricia Routledge are quite overdue at this point. Joan Collins still seems unsinkable.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, drol said:

She was rumoured to be in ill health for a while. Let's face it, even if Judi Dench would suddenly drop dead it would not be much of a surprise, considering her age and past health issues. 

Other actresses born in the same period are getting increasingly frailer: Eileen Atkins, Sian Phillips, and the honorary immortal Jean Marsh. Joan Plowright and Patricia Routledge are quite overdue at this point. Joan Collins still seems unsinkable.

Dame Sheila Hancock could be added to the “unsinkable” column.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Dame Sheila Hancock could be added to the “unsinkable” column.

What about Vannesa Redgrave and Anne Reid?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gisooo said:

What about Vannesa Redgrave and Anne Reid?

Pfffft pleeeeease. She's a mere MBE. We is talking about dem Damez.

• Haha 1

Jean Marsh isn't a Dame either, allegedly at her own refusal. We could add Claire Bloom and Joan Plowright next year as a running theme of people Laurence Olivier shagged. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1