Death in Vegas

Time Added

Aldyr Schlee dead aged 84.

In 1953 he designed the Brazil fitba top.

Hope he had royalties....

https://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/noticia/2018/11/16/aldyr-schlee-criador-da-camisa-canarinho-da-selecao-brasileira-e-velado-em-pelotas.ghtml

• Like 1

Ivor Broadis - 96 a week before Christmas - recently became an honorary official of the Carlisle United London Branch and even gave an interview to them. Now the oldest surviving former England International (though sadly not called on for a brief run out at Rooney's unofficial testimonial) - is there an older former international walking the streets anywhere else on the planet?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Ivor Broadis - 96 a week before Christmas - recently became an honorary official of the Carlisle United London Branch and even gave an interview to them. Now the oldest surviving former England International (though sadly not called on for a brief run out at Rooney's unofficial testimonial) - is there an older former international walking the streets anywhere else on the planet?

OoO's last World Cup update had this man, Roldan, marked as def alive in Summer, and I trust his knowledge. Played for Chile in the 1950 World Cup!

Anyhow, you'd think the first man to score 2 goals for England at a World Cup would be a Prime Deathlist Candidate, but I thought the same of "gravely ill" Nat Lofthouse back when, so what do I know?

Some of the posts from last year on this topic, but probably need updated given old people. Like how I was wondering to myself recently surely if Jimmy Walker was still alive, it would get mentioned recently given some of his records got beaten by Kris Doolan. Turns out, he actually died quietly back in 2000.

3 hours ago, msc said:

OoO's last World Cup update had this man, Roldan, marked as def alive in Summer, and I trust his knowledge. Played for Chile in the 1950 World Cup!

Anyhow, you'd think the first man to score 2 goals for England at a World Cup would be a Prime Deathlist Candidate, but I thought the same of "gravely ill" Nat Lofthouse back when, so what do I know?

Some of the posts from last year on this topic, but probably need updated given old people. Like how I was wondering to myself recently surely if Jimmy Walker was still alive, it would get mentioned recently given some of his records got beaten by Kris Doolan. Turns out, he actually died quietly back in 2000.

Quiet death as in in-reported, right - I mean there could have been an epic seizure, wailing family and beeping hospital equipment for all we know

Re Ivor - obviously I'm biased given his associations with Carlisle but I wonder if he is famous enough. Likely wouldn't get the six o clock news on BBC One. 

Jim Iley, who made 550 football league appearances, before going on to manage various teams including Exeter City for one season in the 1980s, has died aged 82.  

He was in charge when I watched my first Exeter match - a 0-5 home loss to Rochdale. :D

13 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Jim Iley, who made 550 football league appearances, before going on to manage various teams including Exeter City for one season in the 1980s, has died aged 82.  

He was in charge when I watched my first Exeter match - a 0-5 home loss to Rochdale. :D

So, despite that baptism of fire before the boots of the mighty Rochdale, you've been back once or twice since?

6 hours ago, Banana said:

Kevin Austin, former Swansea City defender, has succumbed to pancreatic cancer according to Twitter (only verified account I could find acknowledging his death).

Still no obit.

RIP. Sad for his family.

Rather ironically Kevin Austin became the 20th and final member of my first draft DDP team on Saturday morning at which point according to the Mirror QO he was already dead.

6 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

RIP. Sad for his family.

Rather ironically Kevin Austin became the 20th and final member of my first draft DDP team on Saturday morning at which point according to the Mirror QO he was already dead.

I had him in every single pool of mine. I literally only found out because I was adding info to my master list and on Wikipedia it said he died yesterday.

Former Charlton/Palace defensive midfielder Darren Pitcher dead at 49. Remember him from that spate of players suing opposition teams for career-ending injuries in the late 90s, his career was effectively over at the age of 26 thanks to a reducer from Huddersfield's Paul Reid.

Ex Man City player and former manager Johhny Hart, dead at 90.

Had the gig briefly after Malcolm Allison.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/johnny-hart-manchester-city-football-15466189

Gianluca Vialli reveals he was treated for cancer for a year but is now 'very well'

41 minutes ago, charon said:

Ex Man City player and former manager Johhny Hart, dead at 90.

Had the gig briefly after Malcolm Allison.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/johnny-hart-manchester-city-football-15466189

Oldest surviving former Man City manager is now Ron Saunders (b.1932)

• Thanks 1

Former top flight ref Eddie Wolstenholme has apparently had a "medical emergency" in the tunnel before Burnley/Newcastle and is being rushed to hospital.

Roldan was definitely alive in 2015. Ive not seen anything to say he's passed away but just to prove that old footballers dont always get obits is the fact that Mario Perez of the 1950 Mexico team was thought alive aged 91.I learnt yesterday he actually died as long ago as 1986!

Ill keep delving into it. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Football team fakes player's death in order to have game postponed:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-28/irish-football-club-fakes-player-death-to-get-game-postponed/10561388

BBC reported that yesterday and - serious point - the league are genuinely confused here because there is no precedent for punishing them. Best guess; they have to be punished the same way you'd punish a team for deliberately getting a game called off by having too many players red carded, and you'd have to add additional fines for the sheer audacity of the decision along with punishing whichever individuals thought this a good idea and sanctioned the whole thing.

Surely it's a given that their opponents are awarded the match. 

And that opposing fans recall this event in chants for years to come

On 13/05/2018 at 20:42, gcreptile said:

Zhang Ouying, a chinese football player who played in two Olympic Games and three FIFA world cups, 42 years old, has been diagnosed with lung cancer:

https://patch.com/california/san-diego/fundraiser-launched-san-diego-olympian-battling-cancer

Zhang Ouying is a woman and played in women's teams, so I doubt her death is going to receive a tenth of the coverage a male player of such stature would get.

She now teaches football in San Diego and her nickname is "Coach O".

And now she's dead.

https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d774e7745444d31457a6

What obits will she get...

On 19/11/2018 at 05:10, maryportfuncity said:

Quiet death as in in-reported, right - I mean there could have been an epic seizure, wailing family and beeping hospital equipment for all we know

Re Ivor - obviously I'm biased given his associations with Carlisle but I wonder if he is famous enough. Likely wouldn't get the six o clock news on BBC One. 

Didnt Ivor Broadis have a column in the Newcastle Journal for some time? Im sure he’d get an obit.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2018 at 01:07, maryportfuncity said:

Not far behind Mr. Broadis is former Scotland goalkeeper and manager Bobby Brown, who will be 96 next March. 

• Like 1