chicago103

Each Year's Most Significant Death.

Hmmm, funny you should say that.

It's exactly what each employer has put for my reference for each of the 17 jobs I've had since 2009...

Hmmm, funny you should say that.

It's exactly what each employer has put for my reference for each of the 17 jobs I've had since 2009...

Funny you pull that number out your arse: I had approx 17 jobs between 18-26 years of age. I know this cuz I applied for top security clearance job and they asked for every job no matter how short-lived going back 10 years (at the time my entire working life). They gave room for 3 entries be said add more if necess....I had five extra sheets besides the one supplied. Bet they didn't see that coming.

SirC

• Like 1

2016: Muhammad Ali

I really struggle to see anybody likely to die who's death would be more significant.

• Like 1

I really struggle to see anybody likely to die who's death would be more significant.

Possibly the Queen's death would be seen as a bigger death if she was to die this year but i agree Muhammad Ali's death is the biggest one of the year yet so far without question.

Although not likely to die I think Kim Kardashian's death would be the biggest US death of the decade if it happened.

• Like 1

As I stated upon the death of Prince and the ensuing Prince-Bowie argument, it would all be moot if Ali died. This thread for 2016 can be closed.

SirC

As I stated upon the death of Prince and the ensuing Prince-Bowie argument, it would all be moot if Ali died. This thread for 2016 can be closed.

SirC

It's June and deaths are getting bigger. Wait for it. Although Ali's death was not as greatly followed as that of Prince here in Croatia or most Europe.....He got a treatment that Nancy got.

• Like 1

I'm calling it now Ali's death will be overshadowed. I know who by as well, but I'm not gonna jinx it.

I'm calling it now Ali's death will be overshadowed. I know who by as well, but I'm not gonna jinx it.

Literally by anyone....McCartney, Cher, Liz 2 and a bunch of others.....people love pop stars more I guess and there's the fact most young people thought he was dead already (including me just a year ago) and not to mention everyone saw it coming....give in to all that the news people hold the power to make someone's death a big deal.

• Like 1

Was it Gene Wilder?

Let's bring this thread up again. It's 25th November so a month till the end of the year and there can be at least one more big death in 2016 but here's my personal top 10 of 2016 (for now):

1. Prince (He is on top because his age, unexpected death and the amount of tributes)

2. David Bowie (Same as the above but he is a bit older so he gets 2nd place)

3. Muhammad Ali (Icon but he is the oldest of the top 3 and his death was not a shock)

4. Fidel Castro

5. Leonard Cohen

6. Alan Rickman

7. Gene Wilder

8. Bud Spencer

9. Nancy Reagan

10. Harambe

Edit: Castro gets number 4 because he was 90 and had death scares too many times. Keep in mind I thought he was dead before I got here a year ago. I am not a sports fan or politics geek so my vote will always go for entertainers.

Err... Terry Wogan and Victoria Wood. I've never even heard of Doris Roberts.

Anyway - toss-up between Bowie and Prince. I'd argue Bowie - a bigger deal as Blackstar was released just days earlier plus Prince had that scare on the plane a few weeks before he died so it was obviously something was up.

• Like 1

So far Mr. Fuji is the biggest death of 2016

I think your in the minority.

• Like 1

So far Mr. Fuji is the biggest death of 2016

I think your in the minority.

It was quite sad though, Mr Fuji was great. Though not a major surprise. On a world level, it's Castro or Ali, but on a personal level, I'm most pissed off about Alan Rickman, Frank Kelly and Wogan.

It was Fidel Castro, wasn't it?

Fidel Castro or Muhammad Ali.

Any other suggestions can kindly do one.

I'm going to go with Castro, purely because of the role of the Cuban administration under Castro on an international level during the cold war period which significantly increases his world stage clout.

This is also makes me right in my post above.

Well, so far. There's still 35 days left of the year, and a sudden, say, Putin death would probably jump to the front of the queue in terms of significance.

Fidel Castro or Muhammad Ali.

Any other suggestions can kindly do one.

I'm going to go with Castro, purely because of the role of the Cuban administration under Castro on an international level during the cold war period which significantly increases his world stage clout.

This is also makes me right in my post above.

For music, it's Bowie.

Err... Terry Wogan and Victoria Wood. I've never even heard of Doris Roberts.

Anyway - toss-up between Bowie and Prince. I'd argue Bowie - a bigger deal as Blackstar was released just days earlier plus Prince had that scare on the plane a few weeks before he died so it was obviously something was up.

Doris because I don't care for the rest that are not in top 10 and never even heard of them and because she reminds me of my grandma. I never heard of Terry or Victoria.

My personal top 10, in as how much I'm familiar with their work and how their deaths upset me, for this year would be.

1. Gene Wilder

2.Dave Swarbrick

3. Richard Bradford

4. Robert Vaughan

5 Jacques Rivette

6. Ronnie Corbett

7 Caroline Aherne

8 David Bowie

9 Jean Alexander

10 Victoria Wood

Globally it would probably be

1.Fidel Castro

2. Bhumibol Adulyadej

3 Mohamed Ali

4 David Bowie

5 Nancy Reagan

6 Prince

7 Gene Wilder

8 Leonard Cohen

after that I get stuck, maybe Dario Fo or Alan Rickman or perhaps Umberto Eco

Oh, I'm not going to lie Alan Rickman and Victoria Wood hit me more on a personal level than Castro as I'm more familiar with their work as a fan of Harry Potter and dinnerladies but I'm not going to pretend their bigger global deaths than Ali or Castro.

I've always took most significant of the year to mean the most globally significant death in a given year, not the one that's hit you the most.

My personal top 10, in as how much I'm familiar with their work and how their deaths upset me, for this year would be.

1. Gene Wilder

2.Dave Swarbrick

3. Richard Bradford

4. Robert Vaughan

5 Jacques Rivette

6. Ronnie Corbett

7 Caroline Aherne

8 David Bowie

9 Jean Alexander

10 Victoria Wood

Globally it would probably be

1.Fidel Castro