Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

On 06/04/2024 at 12:37, TQR said:

Scoop, the Netflix biographical drama about the Prince Andrew Newsnight interview. Brilliant behind the scenes story, a great depiction of the interview itself by Gillian Anderson and Rufus Sewell and a reminder of that extraordinary, momentous piece of journalism.

Watched that last night and thought it was good as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justonecornetto said:

The Secret History of Twin Peaks is also a good book which is annotated by agent Tammy Preston. I got it from the library few years ago so might have to borrow it again.

Library doesn't have that, and second-hand copies are pricey.

9 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Watched that last night and thought it was good as well.

Me too.   Wasn’t all that impressed by it. Mind you, I didn’t know what to expect. 

On 09/04/2024 at 20:35, RoverAndOut said:

Is Mulholland Drive weird? Never seen it but heard good things and the premise seems suitable for an entry-level Lynch offering. Not sure I've seen anything by him, but know his reputation.

On 09/04/2024 at 21:05, justonecornetto said:

MD is his best film which I've seen several times but it is confusing more than weird on first viewing however you begin to get more of a feel for what Lynch is conveying on second or third watch.

The Elephant Man and The Straight Story are great films by Lynch and are more mainstream compared to his usual surreal stuff like Eraserhead, Lost Highway, Fire Walk With Me and Inland Empire.He also did the original version of Dune which he didn't like as he was't given final cut and it's generally panned but I quite like it.

EDIT forgot about Blue Velvet which I would recommend as the entry level Lynch film

You could also start with Wild At Heart which is a fairly straightforward tale.  Expect violence, lots of sex, and weird characters.  It doesn't take itself too seriously.

• Like 1

Does anybody still watch The Apprentice?

• Like 1

On 09/04/2024 at 20:35, RoverAndOut said:

Is Mulholland Drive weird? Never seen it but heard good things and the premise seems suitable for an entry-level Lynch offering. Not sure I've seen anything by him, but know his reputation.

Let us know how you get on, but probably best to take this to the films thread.

I'm going to tune in to Lee Anderson's show on GB News at 7pm.

Always good to hear the rantings of the unhinged from time to time.

I might be over 60 years too late but I've just started watching Dad's Army, I've put on a couple of episodes every night for the past few days and I've completely fallen in love with the show and all it's characters, to say it's got a timeless charm is probably an understatement. I should probably get a more relevant taste in TV though.

:clivedunn:

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I should probably get a more relevant taste in TV though.

Why? If something stands the test of time?

Beethoven Mozart and others are still awesome.

Shakespeare is still relevant in many ways.

Leonardo da Vinci is still a wonder.

Dad's army is practically contemporary by comparison and is no less funny now than it was then.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I might be over 60 years too late but I've just started watching Dad's Army, I've put on a couple of episodes every night for the past few days and I've completely fallen in love with the show and all it's characters, to say it's got a timeless charm is probably an understatement. I should probably get a more relevant taste in TV though.

:clivedunn:

Often gets shoved on here if we're killing time at the right point in the evening (usually on around 7pm on Gold). Seen most of them multiple times but now and again come across one I'm not familiar with. The humour is timeless and the characters are great. A few years ago, Gold made a "making of" drama about Dad's Army called "We're Doomed" about how it came about, which was very good too. I'm 35 and it still makes me laugh out loud. Classics are always classics.

• Like 3

There aren't many sitcoms I haven't watched. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a few of the older ones from time to time. Dad's Army will always be awesome.

Tubi (a free-with-ads movies/TV app I've used a shitton ever since I moved out) has a British TV section so I've watched the odd Britcom in recent months. Dad's Army hasn't cropped up on it yet, though I'd definitely check it should the opportunity arrive. I quite liked The Vicar of Dibley and Trevor Peacock's nonononononono.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Often gets shoved on here if we're killing time at the right point in the evening (usually on around 7pm on Gold). Seen most of them multiple times but now and again come across one I'm not familiar with. The humour is timeless and the characters are great. A few years ago, Gold made a "making of" drama about Dad's Army called "We're Doomed" about how it came about, which was very good too. I'm 35 and it still makes me laugh out loud. Classics are always classics.

We've lost a few of the actors in that, already  John Sessions, Julian Sands, Paul Ritter. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Tubi (a free-with-ads movies/TV app I've used a shitton ever since I moved out) has a British TV section so I've watched the odd Britcom in recent months. Dad's Army hasn't cropped up on it yet, though I'd definitely check it should the opportunity arrive. I quite liked The Vicar of Dibley and Trevor Peacock's nonononononono.

Vicar of Dibley is another classic. Geraldine the one voice of sanity among all the loonies. Think the specials weren't as good as the original series, including the seasonal specials in 2000. The Winter special where Alice gives birth is one of my favourite Christmas specials of all sitcoms. And continuing Handy's theme, almost all the main cast are gone now. Only Dawn French (Geraldine) and James Fleet (Hugo) still going. :(

23 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

We've lost a few of the actors in that, already  John Sessions, Julian Sands, Paul Ritter. 

The Curse of Dad's Army © Daily Mirror C.1987 strikes again!

31 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Vicar of Dibley is another classic. Geraldine the one voice of sanity among all the loonies.

Yeah I tend to like the "the sane one corrals a zoo of nutters" structure. See my Muppets love :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Vicar of Dibley is another classic. Geraldine the one voice of sanity among all the loonies. Think the specials weren't as good as the original series, including the seasonal specials in 2000. The Winter special where Alice gives birth is one of my favourite Christmas specials of all sitcoms. And continuing Handy's theme, almost all the main cast are gone now. Only Dawn French (Geraldine) and James Fleet (Hugo) still going. :(

The Christmas special where Geraldine accidentally agrees to attend three dinners on the one day still has me in stitches, and it's got a Capaldi cameo too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, msc said:

The Christmas special where Geraldine accidentally agrees to attend three dinners on the one day still has me in stitches, and it's got a Capaldi cameo too.

The Brussels Sprout challenge is genius. Dawn in her element. And when she breaks the chair at the Tinkers house. :lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The Brussels Sprout challenge is genius. Dawn in her element. And when she breaks the chair at the Tinkers house. :lol:

Getting the taxi and it literally does a U-Turn and it's outside her house :lol:

• Haha 2

My favourite scene will always be the It Should've Been Me wedding. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Toast said:

My favourite scene will always be the It Should've Been Me wedding. :lol:

Every wedding in the series is great. The dream sequence where she's marrying David and Sean Bean saves her is brilliant ("Come on lass") and the woman accusing Hugo of bigamy is just incredible ("oops, sorry! Wrong church!") :lol: