themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

Bob Dawson (wiki), Aussie rules footballer for St. Kilda back in 1941(!), dead at 102.

He was probably the oldest living Aussie rules player. No idea who that title goes to now. Could be Keith McNaughton (wiki, b. 1921) but likely he's already deceased.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Could be Keith McNaughton (wiki, b. 1921) but likely he's already deceased.

probaly, i tried to look for information but nothing.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2020 at 12:33, gcreptile said:

Okay, Caroline Laws... wife of radio host John Laws... she was picked here and there, and I think we mentioned her on here somewhere... I can't find it.

She died slightly off the radar last week:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/caroline-laws-funeral-john-laws-wife-farewelled-after-dying-from-ovarian-cancer/1fcf0ecc-09f1-4d17-8b02-f153a5497651

John Laws hospitalised for weeks with pneumonia, but "on the mend". He had recurrent pneumonia last year and has had dangerous bouts since the 2000s but says he "won't retire anytime soon".

Reminds me of Alan Jones, the other living Aussie radio guy I've heard of who's also been quite ill for years with brain cancer, prostate cancer, skin cancer, blood clots, blood poisoning and septic shock, e-coli, pulmonary embolisms, massive amounts of surgeries and swollen legs/knees. I wonder which one of them will die first as both seem to always recover from massive health issues. 

• Like 1

On 09/05/2016 at 00:18, time said:

Reg Grundy, TV mogul, dead at 92.

Joy Chambers Grundy, actress and widow of the late Reg Grundy, reportedly dead: https://www.miragenews.com/reg-grundys-wife-joy-chambers-grundy-dies-early-1085824/

Probably best known as Rosemary Daniels in Neighbours.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0150359/

• Like 6
  • Shocked 1

Australian actor Leslie Dayman (Wikidead at 85

Known for his performances on television and film, major small screen roles including Homicide, Prisoner, Sons and Daughters and E Street

• Like 1

Australian actor and theater director Michael Blakemore (Wikidead at 95

image.png.80918c1cb900acb66cd7ebd1efd8ec48.png

4 hours ago, Gisooo said:

Australian actor and theater director Michael Blakemore (Wikidead at 95

image.png.80918c1cb900acb66cd7ebd1efd8ec48.png

Another 90+ death who has obited which the DDP had missed.

On 04/06/2016 at 19:28, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Scots born Aussie rocker Jimmy Barnes is recovering from open heart surgery: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-17/jimmy-barnes-walking-around-after-open-heart-surgery/103239062

Lot of coverage in the Mail if you fancy a punt on him next year.

On 20/09/2011 at 23:03, Davey Jones' Locker said:

While I was waiting for my train yesterday, I bought one of those cheap and nasty "true Australian crimes' anthologies. It mentioned that Judy Moran has been battling leukaemia for some years. I have never really followed the Melbourne gangland wars (or watched Underbelly) so that was the first I have heard of this. There is no mention of it on her Wikipedia page (not that that means a thing.) Does anyone have info on if the Moll will soon be in a hole?

On 21/09/2011 at 04:54, Body Snatcher 44 said:

Davey I strongly recommend watching Underbelly - not only is it a who's who of first-class Australian acting talent, the plot lines are captivating - it's the only program, aside from the footy, that I tune into on a regular basis. Or if you enjoy reading, the books on which the show is based are also a good read.

As for Judy Moran, This is all I could find as of late, I thought she was sicker than she now appears, sort of the ol'I'm to sick to go to jail routine (the same routine that we hear time and time again) - I anticipate the outcome may well be similar to what happened to Carl Williams in the end.

A mere 12 years later, Judy Moran is off to the hospital for liver problems: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12878681/Melbourne-Judy-Moran-hospital-Desmond-Moran.html

She's 79. Any of you lot fancy a punt on seeing her reach 2024, but not 2025?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

John Pilger, Australian journalist and documentary maker,  has died aged 84.

...and the Military-Industrial Complex breathe a sigh of relief.

• Like 2

Khai Cowley was just 15 years old and was attacked by a great white shark. The child surfer had his leg ripped off by the animal. The accident occurred this Thursday (28/12) and the young man succumbed to his injuries. Weeks ago, Khai had been elected as the most talented “grom” surfer. The category is dedicated to young people who stand out in water sport competitions and present exceptional performance for their age.

Quem era o surfista mirim que morreu atacado por tubarão na Austrália | Metrópoles (metropoles.com)

Imagem colorida de Khai Cowley - Metrópoles

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

John Pilger, Australian journalist and documentary maker,  has died aged 84.

Obituaries: Daily Mail

Worked in media for years. Never heard of him. Got a BBC breaking news notification.

7 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

BBC news just sent it as a push notification BBC

I remember the interview he did with Julian Assagne and thinking 'that chap is certainly making trouble for himself', lol.

25 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Worked in media for years. Never heard of him. Got a BBC breaking news notification.

I'm familiar with him, had quite a few TV documentaries and books to his name too. Quite prominent late 80's to mid 90's.

Fancied himself as quite a hard-hitting journalist but he was his own biggest fan.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Actually quite surprised, he was a prominent political documentary maker going back decades, in with the Chomsky crowd, and a recognisable face about 20 years ago as a regular critic of Bush and Blair. Like a few of that era, he seemed to go from criticising Bush to supporting Putin in later life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I am amazed at that. I had only vaguely heard of him but my dad knew him instantly which surprised me.  

53 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not enough years, evidently. He was a big name in my youth. 

• Like 3