Then again it may have been spelled Jip.:)

• Like 1

Our first hamster was called Ripley. Later we had Delenn and Sheriden and poor old Sheriden died the same day Sleeping in Light was shown in the UK.

Some of you may know what I am talking about.

We named a kitten Cato because when we first got her she used to hide and then spring out at us from behind cupboards, and my dad was a big Peter Sellers fan.  And we had another girl cat called Fido. And our first cat was called Moses because dad brought him home in a basket. 

• Like 4

When I lived in Cheltenham we were at the vets one day and this guy walked in really posh suit. Yuppie type. walks up to the counter and said I am here to pick up the tablets for (starts mumbling) Mr Zippy.

• Like 1

I have three dogs. One of them is currently ten years of age, while the other two dogs I'm pretty sure my parents got when I was two or three. All three of them are amazing dogs. 

Unfortunately, the past couple of months haven't been so great for the two older dogs. They're basically at life expectancy at this point and I'm noticing some problems with both of them. The male dog I'm pretty sure has very limited hearing at this point. While he never was the greatest listener, I now have to go up close in order for him to listen to me, which was even unusual for. Besides that and being a little frail, he's doing okay at the moment. Sadly, I can't say the same thing with the female dog. Her hearing is fine, but it's becoming very evident that she's becoming very frail to the point that she's even having trouble walking. I still have to bring her outside everyday to use let her use the bathroom, but since she's has to get off the porch, she doesn't have the capability to step from the porch to the ground anymore, and even when we help her, she has stumbled when she got down a couple of times. So unfortunately, I don't think she'll see the year out at this rate. Really makes me more sad since this is happening at the same time I'm battling another bout of depression at the same time. Of course, it's always evident that animals do die eventually, but slowly going through that process is turning out to be much harder than I have expected. :( 

• Sad 1

No point wishing away their lives with worry, Joey. I had a terminally ill pet once. Vets monitored it but left it alive as "not in pain", just had cancer. Lived 18 months, died of pneumonia.

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I have three dogs. One of them is currently ten years of age, while the other two dogs I'm pretty sure my parents got when I was two or three. All three of them are amazing dogs. 

Unfortunately, the past couple of months haven't been so great for the two older dogs. They're basically at life expectancy at this point and I'm noticing some problems with both of them. The male dog I'm pretty sure has very limited hearing at this point. While he never was the greatest listener, I now have to go up close in order for him to listen to me, which was even unusual for. Besides that and being a little frail, he's doing okay at the moment. Sadly, I can't say the same thing with the female dog. Her hearing is fine, but it's becoming very evident that she's becoming very frail to the point that she's even having trouble walking. I still have to bring her outside everyday to use let her use the bathroom, but since she's has to get off the porch, she doesn't have the capability to step from the porch to the ground anymore, and even when we help her, she has stumbled when she got down a couple of times. So unfortunately, I don't think she'll see the year out at this rate. Really makes me more sad since this is happening at the same time I'm battling another bout of depression at the same time. Of course, it's always evident that animals do die eventually, but slowly going through that process is turning out to be much harder than I have expected. :( 

I'm so sorry. It's so hard and very frustrating to see your pet sick.

39 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

It is very hard. Last Autumn we lost two of our older cats in less than two weeks but it got to the stage where keeping them going was going to be worse. 

They have grown with you and you have given them a good life. Mourn them but then remember their whole life. 

Thoughts are with you Joey.

When it comes to letting them go, there's a wise saying "Better a week too soon than a day too late".

The last time I went through this, two years ago, my vet friend said, "When the day comes, you'll know."  And I did.

• Like 1

Unfortunately she lost the ability to walk at all today while I was at school. My parents wanted to let her finish her journey at home, but she started whimpering in pain later in the day. So, unfortunately, they had to do the hardest thing for any pet owner to face: they put her down today. In many ways, it's a part of my childhood lost, I remember being around her when I was young, and regret not being around her when I got older as I got involved in more activities. But I knew it needed to be done very soon. 

• Sad 4

Sorry to hear about your dug.

I'm sorry, Joey. I grew up with a menagerie - dogs and cats and horses and goats and whatever else you can think of. My father taught us that we were responsible not only for their lives but also for their deaths in the sense that were must make sure there was no suffering at the end for them. He was not a religious man but he took the biblical message that humans were stewards to the animals very seriously. 

I have fostered special needs animals for most of my adult life and I have had to make that decision many times. I wish I could tell you it gets easier as time goes by, but it doesn't. Every animal I have lost has left a mark on my heart. What I can tell you is this: all life is finite, and to have  something that loves us  unconditionally  during that life is a gift beyond value. We speak about the unconditional love our pets give us, but we don't always recognize how much we love them and what that teaches us. We should, because that love is infinite. 

• Like 5

Thank you all for your condolences. It really means a lot to me. 

I'm sorry as well. Dogs have always been a part of my life.

Never had a pet dog, but I do like them as animals, and despise folk who just treat them like some fashion accessory.

I don't have a dog at the moment and my world is a much emptier place.

• Like 1

It's always been cats (and later guinea pigs) here. But I love dogs as well, as with most animals really, and seeing others' dogs while going on walks is always a pleasant sight.

Sad to hear about you loss Joey, We have two rescue cats and can't imagine the pain that the loss of either of them wold bring.

On 09/07/2009 at 22:25, Windsor said:

If you know anybody with a pet parakeet, record the sound of the chirping bird. Then play the tape around your house. That would make it less quiet, and on top of that you don't have to feed it or clean it. Everyones a winner.

But anyway - deepest sympathies...

Yeah. Awkward. 

IMG_7876.GIF

Had to have my cat euthanised today. Gutted. He always jumped up on my shoulders when I'd come in from work and I taught him to high five me.  I'm gonna miss that moggie. 

• Sad 7

Sorry for your loss PB. :( 

• Like 1

Aww I'm sure he was some age.

9 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Had to have my cat euthanised today. Gutted. He always jumped up on my shoulders when I'd come in from work and I taught him to high five me.  I'm gonna miss that moggie. 

Unintentional pun included though.