Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

38 minutes ago, drol said:

Timur Selcuk, who composed and wrote Bana Bana for Turkish group Pan at Eurovision 1989, dead at 74.

Quite possibly the maddest three minutes in Eurovision history. Needless to say, I love it.

So the Eurovision hall was built on an ancient Indian cemetery it seems.

38 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Legendary Finnish conductor Ossi Runne has died. 

https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2020/11/06/musikens-grand-old-man-ossi-runne-ar-dod

Suprised. I would've thought Vesa-Matti Loiri or Pave Maijanen would've gone first, Loiri being a longtime alcohol user, smoker and a former drug addict (now 75) and Maijanen being 70 with an advanced ALS.  Two I recommend for eurovision-themed lists.

Kićo Slabinac, who represented Yugoslavia in 1971, dead at 76.

• Like 1

Dominic Grant of Guys N Dolls whose death was reported over in the UK Singles thread, apparently sang backing vocals on the UK's 1988 entry Go by Scott Fitzgerald. Blink and you'll miss him and really the backing singers only come in at the end.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Dominic Grant of Guys N Dolls whose death was reported over in the UK Singles thread, apparently sang backing vocals on the UK's 1988 entry Go by Scott Fitzgerald. Blink and you'll miss him and really the backing singers only come in at the end.

His wife of course wrote the song.

12 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

His wife of course wrote the song.

Brucie's daughter. Awful song to be honest. Don't know how it came so close to winning. 

On 18/12/2019 at 04:40, JiroemonKimura said:

Niels Olsen, half of the 2000 winning team Olsen brothers, has brain cancer.

Cancer-free for now, he believes he can beat the odds:

https://eurovisionary.com/danish-eurovision-winner-cancer-free-believes-he-will-beat-the-odds/

• Like 1

nvm.

Örs Siklósi, of Hungary's entry of 2018 AWS reported dead months after being diagnosed with leukemia, aged 29.

Edited by time
Removed reference to five months; he died "February 5, months after...".
  • Like 2

I'll just say meh to UK's entry for 2021, Mr Newman.

Imo, needs a lot more intricate brass (a la Modern Romance) and a bit of orchestra (loads of Big Country style violins) - it can be done if they tinker prior to the show.

If this is it though, it lacks a pulse-racing "something".

On 25/07/2018 at 21:56, bladan said:

Eurovision backing singer and actress Hanna-Riikka Siitonen has died aged 47 of cancer.

Matti "Fredi" Siitonen, Hanna-Riikka Siitonen's father and two-time Eurovision contestant (1967 and 1976) has died aged 78:

https://www.is.fi/viihde/art-2000007940030.html

Extremely famous here.

Alive pre-2000 eurovision contestants for Finland are (no bands included):

1962 - Marion Rung (b. 1945). 1963 - Laila Halme (1934-2021). 1965 - Viktor Klimenko (b. 1942). 1966 - Ann-Christine (1944-2022). 1968 - Kristiina Hautala (b. 1948). 1969 - Jaakko Antikainen (b. 1950) and Laura Ruotsalo (b. 1949). 1971 - Markku Aro (b. 1950), Anja Koivisto (b. 1946) and Anneli Koivisto (b. 1943). 1972 - Kim Floor (b. 1948). 1973 - Marion Rung, again. 1974 - Carita Holmström (b. 1954). 1977 - Monica Aspelund (b. 1946). 1979 - Katri Helena (b. 1945). 1980 - Vesa-Matti Loiri (1945-2022). 1982 - Kojo (b. 1953). 1983 - Ami Aspelund (b. 1953). 1985 - Sonja Lumme (b. 1961). 1986 - Kari Kuivalainen (b. 1960). 1987 - Vicky Rosti (b. 1958). 1989 - Anneli Saaristo (b. 1949). 1991 - Kaija Kärkinen (b. 1962). 1996 - Jasmine (b. 1976).

Laila Halme isn't in public much nowadays. Ann-Christine lives in Sweden nowadays, not in public much and looks bad. Same for Kristiina Hautala, who however is in good condition apparently. Same for Jaakko and Laura. Katri Helena and Vesa-Matti Loiri have had health problems (Loiri has had a ton of them, Helena is a smoker and has kidney problems) Kojo has had alcohol problems. Vicky Rosti has a history of bad habits, Anneli Saaristo has diabetes and has had a sleeping pill addiction.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, arghton said:

Matti "Fredi" Siitonen, Hanna-Riikka Siitonen's father and two-time Eurovision contestant (1967 and 1976) has died aged 78:

https://www.is.fi/viihde/art-2000007940030.html

There are entries you just never forget. In the year of Brotherhood of Man, this was one of them:

The conductor for Finland in 1976, Ossi Runne, also died a few months ago.

Choreographer Aira Samulin is still alive, aging and lost her daughter Pirjo (1947-2018) a few years ago. She's 94. Recently defended her friend, billionaire rapist Peter Nygård.

Ok, so not long to go now, so here are the thoughts of the YW Jury again. Doing it slightly differently this year. If a country/tune isn't mentioned, it's because I thought it average or tending good but not worthy of input. Thoughts are my own and you are welcome to disagree. I rate the songs STANDING ALONE without looking at the odds or the sob stories that accompany these things and as always the night's staging and delivery might change chances. Big Six dealt with separately as usual.

Let's begin with AWFUL.

Latvia - Female empowerment number sadly let down by the short skirt and inevitable flash of panties and camel toe by the lead singer. You can't do both love.

Ukraine - Seemingly sung over the sound of a steelworks, this number tries to be everything to all musical styles of the Eurovision, topped off by the harshest female voice I've heard since Thatcher. Apparently loved on the site, I thought this had no merit being in this competition. In fact, I actively despised it.

Moving on to SHAME. (As in Wh'appened?)

Denmark - This was a great song - had it been entered in the 1985 Eurovision. Wearing period costumes from that era as well, it looks and sounds old-fashioned, Would have been top ten in 1985 too. Crazy this is their choice.

North Macedonia - Now this is grand, well sung with loads of feeling. It is, however, a song from a musical or to accompany a film, feels it needs context to succeed. I'm sad for them.

San Marino - A fairly pedestrian poppy number that rattles along nicely, but that's all it is. It stands out by the addition of Flo Rida (yes, that guy), so it will garner support on that, but it's really otherwise not that great.

Next is QUIRKIEST.

Lithuania - Synthpop brought bang up to date which I thought I was going to dislike, actually pops along quite well, with absolutely endearing backing dancers who are SO different from the usual pretty/flamboyant. Check out the video, you might just agree.

And on to HONOURABLE MENTIONS.

Croatia - Late 80s/early 90s vibe, only one of two entries to go bilingual, I jigged in my living room.

Czech Republic - Bouncy love song about being together after lockdown and corona. Chirpy and upbeat.

Ireland - Very possibly their best finish in years, back to almost their best, completely encapsulates their country. Only thing is the message is a bit lost - will hold it back.

Switzerland - This one is a mystery as the song isn't really that strong, I'm only mentioning it because the video accompanying it is AWESOME.

And in no particular order, MY PERSONAL FAVOURITES.

Azerbaijan - Jessie J meets every Greek/Cypriot entry ever. It really works, but it isn't a sing a long.

Finland - Beastie Boys meet Eminem meet active rage against the Establishment. Wherever this places, this is a better song than Eurovision deserves and should be a hit in several countries. Absolutely blown away.

Portugal - A simple and effective number, it has a proper story with a late Beatles-esque orchestration. The juries will cream themselves over it, not sure about the hoi polloi.

THE ONE I LOVED MOST.

Bulgaria - Almost perfect, this has the feel of its location with an almost universal quality calling out to the stars. The clever integration of a ticking clock just added to its overall appeal. Another one the juries will adore, it's not poppy enough perhaps to win, but I will go out on a limb and say put your money on this as a top ten contender (if it is eleventh, I will scream!).

BIG SIX.

Last: Germany - what on earth have they done here? The ukelele used to so much good effect by Malta some years ago makes this insignificant number less significant. It has less substance than a vacuum. Come on Germany, really taking the piss.

Fifth: France - this could have been a little better if she had gone for 'we' and 'us' rather than 'me'. Comes across a little bit 'look at me', and would be more suited to an intimate cabaret setting. Might die a death on a huge stage.

Fourth: Italy - while this rock number rolls along nicely, I can't help feeling it has a mixed message about breathing - they seem to be against the coronavirus, while walking along with a cigarette permanently hanging from the mouth. Musically I loved it, but the lyrics just don't make sense to me.

Third: Netherlands - Anthemic paean in a kind of Afro-Graceland style. I liked it, but it's pretty moderate.

Second: United Kingdom - I'll maintain this is falling short on orchestration and horns, but set against the competition in the whole contest, I'm actually optimistic about this. It's strong, just not perfect. Best chance for the UK in...forever.

First: Spain - Best of the Big 6 imo, this beautifully sung and arranged number tells a powerful story of love, loss, devotion and familial closeness we've all been missing. Only one to make me tear up a little. Well fucking done Spain. Could it win? Unlikely, but I'd like it.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 15:29, YoungWillz said:

Ok, so not long to go now, so here are the thoughts of the YW Jury again. Doing it slightly differently this year. If a country/tune isn't mentioned, it's because I thought it average or tending good but not worthy of input. Thoughts are my own and you are welcome to disagree. I rate the songs STANDING ALONE without looking at the odds or the sob stories that accompany these things and as always the night's staging and delivery might change chances. Big Six dealt with separately as usual.

Let's begin with AWFUL.

Latvia - Female empowerment number sadly let down by the short skirt and inevitable flash of panties and camel toe by the lead singer. You can't do both love.

Ukraine - Seemingly sung over the sound of a steelworks, this number tries to be everything to all musical styles of the Eurovision, topped off by the harshest female voice I've heard since Thatcher. Apparently loved on the site, I thought this had no merit being in this competition. In fact, I actively despised it.

Moving on to SHAME. (As in Wh'appened?)

Denmark - This was a great song - had it been entered in the 1985 Eurovision. Wearing period costumes from that era as well, it looks and sounds old-fashioned, Would have been top ten in 1985 too. Crazy this is their choice.

North Macedonia - Now this is grand, well sung with loads of feeling. It is, however, a song from a musical or to accompany a film, feels it needs context to succeed. I'm sad for them.

San Marino - A fairly pedestrian poppy number that rattles along nicely, but that's all it is. It stands out by the addition of Flo Rida (yes, that guy), so it will garner support on that, but it's really otherwise not that great.

Next is QUIRKIEST.

Lithuania - Synthpop brought bang up to date which I thought I was going to dislike, actually pops along quite well, with absolutely endearing backing dancers who are SO different from the usual pretty/flamboyant. Check out the video, you might just agree.

And on to HONOURABLE MENTIONS.

Croatia - Late 80s/early 90s vibe, only one of two entries to go bilingual, I jigged in my living room.

Czech Republic - Bouncy love song about being together after lockdown and corona. Chirpy and upbeat.

Ireland - Very possibly their best finish in years, back to almost their best, completely encapsulates their country. Only thing is the message is a bit lost - will hold it back.

Switzerland - This one is a mystery as the song isn't really that strong, I'm only mentioning it because the video accompanying it is AWESOME.

And in no particular order, MY PERSONAL FAVOURITES.

Azerbaijan - Jessie J meets every Greek/Cypriot entry ever. It really works, but it isn't a sing a long.

Finland - Beastie Boys meet Eminem meet active rage against the Establishment. Wherever this places, this is a better song than Eurovision deserves and should be a hit in several countries. Absolutely blown away.

Portugal - A simple and effective number, it has a proper story with a late Beatles-esque orchestration. The juries will cream themselves over it, not sure about the hoi polloi.

THE ONE I LOVED MOST.

Bulgaria - Almost perfect, this has the feel of its location with an almost universal quality calling out to the stars. The clever integration of a ticking clock just added to its overall appeal. Another one the juries will adore, it's not poppy enough perhaps to win, but I will go out on a limb and say put your money on this as a top ten contender (if it is eleventh, I will scream!).

BIG SIX.

Last: Germany - what on earth have they done here? The ukelele used to so much good effect by Malta some years ago makes this insignificant number less significant. It has less substance than a vacuum. Come on Germany, really taking the piss.

Fifth: France - this could have been a little better if she had gone for 'we' and 'us' rather than 'me'. Comes across a little bit 'look at me', and would be more suited to an intimate cabaret setting. Might die a death on a huge stage.

Fourth: Italy - while this rock number rolls along nicely, I can't help feeling it has a mixed message about breathing - they seem to be against the coronavirus, while walking along with a cigarette permanently hanging from the mouth. Musically I loved it, but the lyrics just don't make sense to me.

Third: Netherlands - Anthemic paean in a kind of Afro-Graceland style. I liked it, but it's pretty moderate.

Second: United Kingdom - I'll maintain this is falling short on orchestration and horns, but set against the competition in the whole contest, I'm actually optimistic about this. It's strong, just not perfect. Best chance for the UK in...forever.

First: Spain - Best of the Big 6 imo, this beautifully sung and arranged number tells a powerful story of love, loss, devotion and familial closeness we've all been missing. Only one to make me tear up a little. Well fucking done Spain. Could it win? Unlikely, but I'd like it.

In the current political climate even Bucks Fizz's song would finish near the bottom. Every fucker hates us.

UK's entry gives me 90s-00s vibes. A bit of Lighthouse Family soul. It's not totally bad, but the production is pretty awful. You can hear the different brackets of sound stacked next to each other.

Germany's entry...ughh... not a fan of this song, the way the sentiment is carried. I just don't like what it is.

Lots of 80s vibes in the competition, thanks to Dua Lipa and The Weeknd, I guess. That Polish song...you think it could be a new A-HA song, except for the boring voice that drowns in the synthesizers.

I think that's an affliction of many of these songs actually, but not all of them.

I like Israel, and that Tick-Tock song. Iceland has a clever, little number, but they probably are too goofy to win, judging from the video. I actually like the Ukraine song, the singer's voice keeps it together. A very weird mood, especially with the backdrop of the Russian threat. It's building up to something, either a rave or a war, maybe both.

• Like 1

Just now, ladyfiona said:

Icelandic delegation member as well. Thankfully they can show a video instead if they want too. 

It's nice to see BBC4 being utilised for worthwhile programming though, following the amount of repeats. Doe raise the question of if the semi-finals will go back to BBC3 when that comes back onto the telly soon?